Protecting property not so simple in wake of national controversy

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by TBO, Apr 1, 2012.

1. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
  2. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I like Mr. Tabor's, well, philosophy.

3. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose Quick! Duck!

"Still, considering the current climate, this might not be the best time to openly carry a gun in the face of potential trouble."

Opinions vary. On the other hand the current climate might be a good reason to open carry. Open carry does little for me, but whether any individual exercises his or her rights is a choice that does and should belong to that individual, not to columnists or public opinion, which are both prone to being manipulated and being used to manipulate.

In my state a business owner may carry, openly or not, when he is in his business. I'm not sure how that might apply to a landlord on his property.

It's interesting how, in addition to throwing in the Trayvon card, the writer somehow needed to stress that the man is a white Republican. This opinion is a case of trying to project guilt on the race and political party of the writer’s disliking by at best an oblique, tenuous and strained association with the Zimmerman case.

4. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Just because something may no longer be politically correct doesn't necessarily make it a bad idea...

If he's got rental property in bad neighborhoods, and tenants who moonlight as drug dealers, he'd be a damn fool for NOT being armed.

I try to be careful screening potential tenants (just a small upper/lower flat, nothing fancy) in a bad neighborhood. But you can only do so much investigating, and in a bad neighborhood, you don't exactly have model citizens lining up to rent your place. There's no shortage of abandoned/burned out places on the block, but so far, knock on wood, no drug dealers squatting that I've seen.

I understand the "don't go to stupid places where stupid people are" thing, but that's not always possible. You have a place, the neighborhood has changed over the years to something seedy. The stupid place and stupid people came to you. Now what? You can't sell it, are you supposed to walk away, or fight to keep it up, keep the riff raff out? What are senior citizens who paid for their homes years ago, fixed incomes, can't afford a mortgage supposed to do? Can't even put down a decent down payment when the house you're living in would sell for $8000, which is around the avg home price in Detroit right now.

Randy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Disagree. I think he's pointing it out because it's relevant to how the press would have a field day with the fact he's a white republican if something were to go down.

Zimmerman is a hispanic Democrat, I believe even has black relatives, and look at the fallout. Imagine how much worse it would be.

Randy

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  6. jack76590

jack76590

The "Trayvon Case" will increase the use of the "race card" across the board in all situations involving a Black and a non Black.

7. oldman11

oldman11

Believe me when I say all the criminals are voting against your rights to own and carry a gun. They are not happy that so many people with CCW's are carrying. They are not happy with people being able to stand their ground and not have to retreat. They are not happy with people being able to protect themselves, especially when they have a guy down on the ground beating on him and the victim shoots to protect himself. Left leaning news groups twist the facts around to satisfy their own agenda.

8. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I'd shoot to keep my automobile - I have no theft insurance.

9. PghJim

PghJim

There is nothing you can do about the media. They are there to tell the left wing narrative. They never report the proper use of firearms, because to them there are not any. Although there are getting to be so many proper self defense occurances, they might have to tell some. They jumped on the Martin case too quickly and the best they can hope is to now be quiet and that people remember the crap they spewed out at the begining. I think the chance of being embarrassed is too great for them to continue now. When I first heard about this, even on the Fox web page, I thought this unarmed 13 year old was shot by a white man just because he was eating Skittles. Thank God for the new media and things get out. One evening I spent hours on the computer to try to get a recent picture of Martin. All had been removed except his handle on I think Facebook, which told me a lot. I really do not think there is a current controversy. Whatever there is has been Ginned up by the Media and race baiters. Now I am in PA, but from the begining, everyone I talked to, except one raving liberal who kept saying this proves it, wanted to wait to hear the actual facts come out before they make a judgement. I do not carry open anyway, but if I had before, I would continue.

I think you face this potential almost anytime you would have to use your gun, unless of course you shot a rich white republican. This race thing just fits their narrative, like the Duke Lacross players. Every interracial violent act I am aware of is black on white. I know there are some racial white people out there, and there will be more if this crap continues, but I believe a black person has a better chance of seeing an alien than being attacked by a white person, at least in my part of the woods. That does not include self defense, and you know what will happen to you if you are involved in that.

One last thing, you will always have a hard time explaining why you used lethal force to protect property, so do not do it. If your life is threatened in the process of someone taking your property, that can make it different.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  10. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Which costs less...a defense attorney or a car.