close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prostate Cancer/Questions

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by schild, Feb 17, 2010.

1. schild

schild

The urologist didn't like the "texture" of my prostate during a digital exam, so last friday he did an ultrasound and took about twelve biopsies.
    The nurse called today and two of the biopsies were cancerous. I would assume that since only 2 of 12 showed cancer we caught this very early, I see the doctor on Monday. Has anyone else been through this? What happens next?
    I'm 58 year old and my grandfather had prostate cancer in his early 80's.
    Thanks.

2. hhb

hhb

I had the same diagnosis three years ago, cancer on one side of the gland and opted for the Devenci Robotics surgery to remove the gland. Several small incisions. Went home the next morning after the surgery, and back to work 13 days later. Path lab says the cancer was contained in the prosate, and have had three year of good PSA tests with nill readings. A guy I worked with had the traditional surgery two and a half months before I had mine, and we both went back to work on the same day. What is your PSA?

3. Ruble Noon

Ruble Noon "Cracker"

Sorry to hear that schlid. My father in law was diagnosed with prostate cancer 4 years ago. After his biopsies he underwent a series of radiation treatments targeting the prostate, thankfully it worked. From what he told me, his other option was surgical removal of the prostate.

4. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Good luck.

My prayers are with you.

My FIL beat P cancer several years back. They detected his early like yours.

He had the surgery and according to him everything is working AOK. He was real excited about that (as was his 20 yr younger wife).

5. schild

schild

PSA was normal at .85. Two years ago PSA was also normal.

......and thanks for the prayers!

6. Ray26

Ray26

Check out this forum. Healingwell.com - go to the Prostate forum section. Tons of info. Had my prostate removed last September by Dr. Vipul Patel, Global Robotics, Celebration, Florida. Dr. Patel is the most experienced robotic surgeon (prostate) on the planet. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  7. TnGlocker12

TnGlocker12

I would recommend that you go to Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville, TN. I know several guys around here that went there for treatments/surgeries, and they are fine now. Anyway, go to a Dr. with the best of reputations.

8. Mccullma

Mccullma

I just went through the same issue. After 5 doctors recomendations, I decided for the high dose brachytherapy. I just got out of the therapy 2 weeks ago and have some serious input on side effects and advantages. PM me for input.
    You have basically two choices. Fix it or die slowly.

9. Jake514

Jake514

I am the same age as you and had a radical prostatectomy using the Da Vinci robotic method on Nov 20, 2009. In my opinion, for someone in our age bracket, complete prostate removal is the only way to go. Obvisously catching it as early as possible also reduces complications. If you go robotic, look for a doctor who has at least 300 surgeries under his belt. My doctor had 3,000 open surgeries (the older traditional method) and 2500 robotic surgeries. Get the most experienced doctor you can get.

The traditional method allows the surgon to use his hands to feel the nerves, blood vessels, etc. better than the robotic method, but the patient recovery time is longer since more things are disturbed. The surgical area is magnified better, and there is less blood loss using the robotic method so the surgeon's vision can be better. Open surgery may require adding blood since blood loss (you can stockpile it), the robotic does not hardly lose any blood. Feel free to PM me for additional information.

10. 2bgop

2bgop

I don't know much about it, but I wish you the best. Be sure to keep us posted.

11. fwm

fwm

Yes and no. One form of prostate cancer kills you quickly. At least one form kills you slowly. I know a surgeon that found he had prostate cancer and decided to ignore it. He figured he would die of something else before the prostate cancer killed him. He was right. 10 years later, the cumulative effect of alcohol on his liver killed him.

Pays to find out what type of cancer it is.

12. cliffb

cliffb

Best of luck to you. I have slightly elevated PSA and had a biopsy done last December with no cancer found. My Doc said there were some possible pre-cancerous cells so I'll be seeing him every 6 months from now on.

For you guys that had the surgery, how do things work afterword? Other side effects? You can PM replies.

13. JMag

JMag

Just a note to other males...if we live long enough we'll all likely die with some degree of prostate cancer. That said, get your checkups regularly (DRE, yes the finger test, and the PSA) and that goes double if there is a family history of prostate CA.

Schild, I'll be praying for your full recovery; all the best!

14. Free Radical

Free Radical Miembro Antiguo CLM

Prostate cancer is very treatable. Best of luck to you, brother.

15. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

We all have to pay the Troll Toll, Does it make any difference if its Nichols or Dimes, At 42 I noticed difficulty urinating, 10yrs later my PSA shows no cancer, But my prostate is the size of a baseball, and Flomax is the only drug that works on me, Its not the wonder drug, But it does help! Yeah I have tried others, Herbal and Finastrade Proskart or what ever it is,, type drugs with unsatisfactory results, Still urinating 4-8 times a night,

The knife looks like my only option too:crying:

16. JMag

JMag

Ask your urologist if a green light laser procedure or microwave therapy is right for you if it is just BPH and not P-CA. Another drug option is Avodart (dutasteride) which is indicated for use with Flomax; the Avodart shrinks the gland and the two work on symptoms better together than monotherapy with either.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  17. sdsnet

sdsnet NRA Member CLM

18. moeman

moeman

Virtually every man dies with prostrate cance if they live past 70... A few die from it.

Ask the Gleason score of the cancer--this a a grading pathologists use to grade how nasty the cancer is.

Options includ:

regular surgery
    DaVinci robaotc assisted surgery
    Bracytherapy
    Cryotherapy
    and external beam radiaiton...

If getting a woodie and not dribbling pee in your pants is imporstant to you then see ifr you can get a nerve sparing robotic or cryosurgery (freezing).

19. Altaris

Altaris

My dad also got rid of his prostate cancer at MD Anderson in 2005, though he did it with the normal surgery. He had to wear a diaper for a while afterwords(see dribbling pee in the above post).
    My parents were about to go on vacation to Germany 3 week after he found about it. The doctor told him, you are fine, you can have the operation when you get back, and my dad said hell no, take this crap out of me now :supergrin:

20. fwm

fwm

Yes, when it comes to prostate cancer, it does make a difference.
    My father worked as an XRay tech, my wife has been a Manager and Director of surgical ORs for twenty years and my niece is a geriatric doctor, my social circle is doctors and nurses, I have BPH and I have done a lot of research as I have a family history of a lot of prostate cancer.

Some doctors treat all prostate cancer the same, but the good ones find out what it is and treat it accordingly. If it is the really bad kind, you cut everything you can out if you want to live, but if it is the one of the slow types, they are much more responsive to different treatments that leave you with much more quality in your life.

I hope the hope the OP finds the right doctor and the right treatment for his situation. And there are other surgical procedures you have available to you besides removal. Don't know you, but in my case, I lost 60 pounds and went from 6 times a night to once.