Prospective Employer wants W2 review?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Ghost Tracker, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

I've applied for a job as a Service Writer in a local Automobile Repair Shop. It's a (substantial) step down from the jobs I have previously held (Executive VP, etc.)...but I need the work & have a long-running interest in cars. During my first interview the shop owner asked "How my W2s have looked over the past few years?". I provided general salary ranges. He followed-up with an email asking about my "income". I responded, politely asking for clarification because there's a BIG difference between "salary history" and "income". My income includes; contract consultation fees, investments, property leases, etc. These, to me, seem well outside the area of his concern.

He now has sent another email asking to schedule a second interview, including a "review of my W2s". I've already provided professional references with whom he has spoken. I've provided an unembllished resume'. This job requires no high-level security clearance & will likely not reach 50% of my previous salary. For Gaud's Sake, it's a counter job at a Car Shop!

How far into my personal finances (mortgage-free home value, portfolio value, 401K, Roth IRA, etc.) do I allow as a pre-condition for job consideration? Why is my "income" so (repeatedly) important for him to know?

I've never dealt with this sort of thing. I'm looking for input & opinions. Thanks, and Happy New Year!

2. Eyescream

Eyescream hates you

I think you should ask him. I'm curious what he has to say.

3. Gallium

Gallium CLM

I don't think this is the place for you, but you could always ask them for their P & L statements + corporate tax filings for the past 7 years.

'Drew

4. CigarGuy

CigarGuy

<shaking head> I'm at a loss as to what he may be "fishing" for?!

5. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott Prickley Fan

The bottom line is that the amount of information you should give him is the amount that you feel he should be shown, or that is his business in your opinion. No offense but I think that you brought part of this problem on yourself by telling him about more income than appears on a W2 form which is, after all, what he asked for in the first place. My guess is that the reason for asking you all of this is one of two things.

1 - If you are used to earning much more than they are paying you will be likely to leave for another job at the first opportunity.

2 - If they get into debts and things like that they might be trying to determine if you are a potential thief.

6. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

Thanks Gary, but I NEVER told him there was more. I simply asked for his clarification. He's the one that keeps talking about "income", rather than "salary". Is he concerned that I made/make too much...or too little? The more I think about it, the more I want to know if all his current employees (mechanics, office staff, etc.) were/are subjected to the same financial scrutiny?

7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Simple... he wants to know if he's (the prospect) has made/is making more than him (the HR guy) or one of his (the HR guy again) friends.

8. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

He's wondering why such a high paid person is looking for such a lower paying job. Perhaps he is worried you are hiding something?

9. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Sounds to me like the guy is unreasonably nosey about things that he doesn't have any business being concerned about. I would not give him any more info than you already have and if that costs you this job you are probably better off.

10. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

This.

11. hpracing007

hpracing007

Some people probably think a service writer/sales consultant/other commission type job has to hire someone who's "hungry" so to speak.

12. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Exactly.

It becomes an even bigger concern when the economy goes into the toilet, because when it recovers, they're certain to lose you when your former career takes off again.

13. GAFinch

GAFinch

Maybe he thinks you're an undercover cop?

14. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Some people's understanding of "income" is limited only to "salary". Maybe let him know that you have non-salary related income that would not be relevant to the discussion. Pay statements would be reasonable, while the "income" peace may not.

15. shavedape

shavedape

You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure out the rationale for hiring these days. If you want the job then just give him what he wants. If you find it too intrusive then tell him thanks but no thanks. There are other car parts counter jobs out there if you really want one so decide what you'll put up with to get one.

16. Naptown34

Naptown34 NRA Life Member

Or he could be looking to see if his salary offer will make you walk away if it's way off mark from what you expect...

17. noway

noway

I've never been asked about my W2 or pressed for W2 information. I find it strange to say the least.

just curious, is this a 5 digit or 6 digit job? Maybe a CEO or VP or someone pulling in figures like that of the above, are expected to show their W2s. But I find this strange, to say the least.

18. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

Yeah, that's what's got me wondering. I've had those CEO/VP jobs...and have never been asked to provide anything past conversational answers to the questions of "salary history" & "salary expectations". This IS strange. But if I respond with my own request to see his pro-forma P&L and Corporate Tax Filings, I'm pretty sure I'll make my point...but miss the job. :dunno:

19. Another Miller

Another Miller prankster

Id say he's overstepping himself.I would politely tell him the income request is private information but you are willing to provide the salary information.

Ask yourself this.If by chance they dont hire you and you submitted to their request,wheres that information going to end up?Would you trust them to properly dispose of it?I wouldnt.

20. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

Best advice I've read so far. This of course assumes you have made the decision that it IS private info you don't want to disclose. And you must be prepared to walk away. Very rational action and not pretentious in any way--the guy is overstepping himself IMO.