close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Proper 9mm competition ammo?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by DistantTea, Nov 8, 2004.

1. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

I have a new Glock 34 and practice shoot with nothing but that Winchester white box 115gr target stuff... what kind of ammo should I be using for real competition or at least real competition practice?

I assume nobody is running around out there at GSSF competitions with the cheapest of the cheap stuff.

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

One of the top GSSF shooters in the USA, Tony Clemens, uses WWB from Wal-Mart in his two 9mm GSSF Glocks.;)

It's not the pistol. It's not the ammo. It IS the shooter.:cool:

3. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Thats good to know. Maybe now I won't be so tempted to buy one of those fancy boxes of ammo I haven't shot yet. I'll just buy hoards and hoards of white box.

And maybe some Georgia Arms sometime.

4. Clem

Clem

:) Thanks for the kind words, Danny. Hope your recovery is going smoothly! Hope to see you at a match soon!! (Going to Vegas?) Whenever, wherever, hope it's soon and, as always, our thoughts & prayers are with you & yours. Take care, my friend. Tony & Donna.

5. CanadianGlockFan

CanadianGlockFan

Use whatever you can hit with, and what your pistol is sighted in for; power isn't really an issue in GSSF, but I use the same load I use for IPSC competition.

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Not to disagree with Coach but Tony is an anomaly. Most GSSF master shooters, even the best, reload or shoot ammo loaded just for them. :)

How do you like that one Tony, bet you've never been called an anomaly before! ;f

7. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Just don't call him late for diner!!!!!!!!!! ;z ;z ;z ;f ;f ;f

8. DP177

DP177

Well, from what I hear Winchester called Tony up and asked his advise before creating the White Box ammo. So really he does shoot ammo loaded just for him. I'm just glad he told Winchester to sell it at Walmart so the rest of us can shoot it too. :joker:

9. Clem

Clem

FG: I've been called many things (most I can't list here;f ) but never an anomaly! I think I'm offended! (Now, if I only knew what it meant;g ).

Don: As you know, I'm rarely if ever late for dinner :) :) !

Dwight: When everyone else reloads, they put powder in their cases. If they only knew Winchester puts "magic dust" in ours!! It'll be our secret!! SHHHHHH!!!

ANOMALY: One that's peculiar, irregular, abnormal. Jerry, I can't be offended when you speak the truth!! ;a

Take care, fellas!! Tony

10. Carlitos

Carlitos

CCI Blazer (the good old aluminum case stuff) is just fine for GSSF. Before we became Team Shooters Paradise GSSF, were were Team Blazer. How did we do? At 2 of the 3 GSSF competitions we entered, we were the 1st place Am. Civ Team (came in 2nd at the remaining one). Regular Blazer 9mm works fine & there is no reason you cannot win GSSF with it.

HOWEVER, you can also do well with factory 9mm ammo that is loaded with 147 grn bullets; few guys think of trying this ammo because 1) it costs more and 2) they believe the bullet is too heavy. Try a box of factory 147 from Winchester, Federal, CCI or PMC & see what you think.

I have solved the cost problem by loading my own 147 grn ammo, but reloading is not for everyone. Regards,

Douglas
    Team Shooters Paradise GSSF
    www.shootersparadise.com

11. Fireglock

Tony I prefer the following definition, closer to what you truly are. :)

Deviation or departure from the normal or common order, form, or rule

You sir are not common or ordinary! ;)

12. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

I'm very new at all this. What difference would shooting a 115gr round vs. a 147gr round make on the gun? How does it change the way the gun feels as it fires and what would the difference be in how the bullet travels?

13. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Anomaly: I thought that was one of those pretty things with the tentacles that you collect in the tidepools when beachcombing...^8

FWIW, I'd just use whatever lets you practice the most. (See Danny's 2nd sentence) ^c
    In my case I buy Blazer by the case & use it at matches too; also watched Butch use WWB to win a pistol at Oakdale.

I think (but can't verify) that some people believe that the 147's seem to have a tiny bit less recoil than the slightly faster 115's. Also, that the 147gr is better at knocking down metal. At Amateur levels in a stock gun, I'd shoot what lets you practice the most and gets you ready to bring that 34 to Competition Division at the next available GSSF match. Then you can stand in the sunshine & watch our buddy dp177 lob these gold streaks of light at the target. Truly something to behold. ;f

14. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Good advice. So if I practice with nothing but my WWB then it wouldn't be a very good idea to switch to something different before a match.

Gold streaks of light? You can use tracers at GSSF matches?

15. Fireglock

When the sun is just right you can sometimes see the bullet moving toward the target. I had it happen at Conyers shooting the 5 to G a couple of years ago, it can be somewhat disconcerting. ;P

16. Joe Mamma

Joe Mamma

I use CCI Blazer (9mm 115gr FMJ) as my practice and match ammo, and have done pretty well with it. It's very clean, accurate, consistent and inexpensive.

I am also one third of Team Shooters Paradise GSSF (formerly Team Blazer). Yeah baby!

Joe Mamma
    http://www.shootersparadise.com

17. DP177

DP177

The 'Gold Streaks of Light' that WIG19 is refering to are the 45 GAP loads another shooter and I have been using. They aren't traveling very fast and as Fireglock pointed out if the sun is just right it's fun to watch them seem to curve into the target.

As everyone has pointed out here...practice with whatever allows you the most trigger time. I use reloads. That's what I have found works for me.

And you are right. Use something in practice that is reliable and shoots well, then use it for the match too.

DP

18. q3custom

q3custom GSSF MASTER

i shoot the cheapest ammo i can find and shoot more,for outdoor shooting i use the wolf 115 it is cheap and has served me well in gssf outdoor matches---indoors i use white box 115 or blazer 115,i like 147 gr. better but it is a lot more money. wolf ammo is good but smells very bad, unplesent indoors also going up in price they may price themselves out of the market.

19. DistantTea

DistantTea Monkey Vendor

Is that Wolf 9mm noticibly dirtier than other brands? We bought some Wolf 7.62x39 in bulk once on a great sale from Cabelas (came out to $1.85/box) and although I really like the ammo it seemed moderately dirtier than any previous stuff we shot.

I didn't know about the 9mm Wolf... I don't know why I don't trust it since I haven't bought any yet. Its still not cheaper most of the time than WWB. I'm just waiting on a good sale to pop my way.

20. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

From what I have seen in my 5 years of shooting GSSF ; the people who shoot factory ammo usually shoot: (1) Winchester White Box, (2) Federal American Eagle or (3) CCI Blazer. You may see a few others from time to time but these are the most often seen in factory ammo.