close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Propane vs Charcoal

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Phil306, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Phil306

Phil306

Ok, I have NEVER, until now, had food cooked on a propane BBQ. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I have now. Well, I shall tell you, charcoal BBQ, HANDS DOWN, is better then propane.

Sorry, propane BBQ SUCKS, compared to a nice charcoal BBQ...

Thin The Herd

2. vega

vega

I don't think Hank Hill will agree with you...but I do.;)

vega

3. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

Coal might be better by some margin, but food cooked on a gas grill can be and often is, super-duper...

I do Jerk Chicken Thighs on a gas grill and they're insane!
    I do Skirt Steaks on a gas grill and they're insane!
    Boneless "Country Style" pork Ribs... insane...
    Delmonicos, insane!
    Boneless beef ribs, burgers...

They're all thoroughly blessed with clean grill flavor, something you can't get in the oven...

So don't get crazy! :)

My wife is from Argentina... I've been there 3 times, for a month each shot...
    They (her family) grill all kinds of stuff, (especially because they know it's my favorite)...

They use wood carbon chunks, not charcoal briquettes...
    That's universally recognized as the best...
    It's damn good, perfect, but the stuff I turn out on the gas grill when they visit here has never not gotten
    their seal of approval...
    It was a revelation to them...

Smoke is what gives food the flavor...
    Drippings hitting the heat source...
    So, a certain amount of time with the lid closed will work some magic on the food...

;c

4. thaclient

thaclient aequitas

Not to take sides (this is worse than 9mm vs. .45 ;e ) but I did want to say that you can buy wood smoker boxes for your propane grill. Just get some wood chips, soak them, and add them to the box. That'll give you more smoke flavor than you get just from propane. I've always used propane, and actually had to leave my Weber when I moved :)( ), but I might pick up a small charcol grill this time, to change things up. Down herre in Florida (as Bill will tell you) we love our grilling, and are blessed to be able to do it year round, so _everyone_ has an opinion.

Bill: Since you mentioned Argentina and grilling you must have had Baby Churrasco! There's this little restaurant around there that does it perfectly, and I can't get enough of the stuff. You're a lucky man if she cooks for Argentinian food for you! ;f

5. noway

noway

food always taste better on charcoal vrs propane, or better yet Lump charcoal or even better yet wood, which is what charcoal comes from ;f

6. Mild Bill

I agree... but gas grilling doesn't "suck", which was my only point...

Yeah! Churasco baby!
    I love all that Argentinean grilled stuff, even the "achurras", (innards)...

[​IMG]

;c

7. Mild Bill

We drove to Miami this past weekend and wanted to track down a good Argentinean restaurant
    but we didn't have time...
    I know there are some good ones down there...

Maybe next month...

;c

8. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

As Hank would say, "Taste the meat, not the heat".

9. S2nd

S2nd One happy cat

Thank you very much, Mild Bill :steamed:

I'm here at work, salivating over the contents of that grill :drool:

:) :) :)

I like charcoal just a little better than gas, but not enough to justify the extra work.

10. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I agree that charcoal gives a better flavor, but for daily use I use my weber propane grill. It is just quicker and it gives good flavor to my food. But when I have the time to spend watching over my food then I fire up my smoker for some really special tasting food. There is nothing better than homemade sausage done in a smoker. I have stop now, I am making myself hungry!

11. Phil306

Phil306

I will agree, a propane BBQ is easier to use, clean, etc. However, it just doesn't taste the same. Unfortunately, a nice charcoal BBQ is much better. Those are the facts and I am sticking to em :)

Thin The Herd

12. lwt210

lwt210

I grill or smoke about three times a week.

All with lump charcoal and Kingsford on occasion.

You won't have to worry about me using up any of the gas supply. Which ever you prefer, do it more often.

Your family will thank you. ;c

13. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Somebody here enlighten me... What is "lump charcoal"...?;e

14. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

I only bbqed over oak, but my a friend recently gave my wife and I a hand me down gas grill for her sake. (She had been asking for one, and I have been denying her.) I even said no to this hand me down grill, but my wife said yes.

I find my self using her grill a lot - I never fire up the oak grill for hamburgers, but now I find my wife asking me to grill hanburgers on the gas grill ever two or three weeks, and it has been great.

15. noway

noway

{Somebody here enlighten me... What is "lump charcoal"...?}

good question. 1st regular charcoal is mainly wood or sawdust to be specific that hasn't been fully exposed to oxygen on the combustion stages of forming it into charcoal.2nd lump charcoal is nothing more than wood that raw and lumps ( charcoal), and the opposite of compress sawdust bricks called kingsford.

Lump charcoal is more expensive , but burns cleaner and hotter than regular charcoal. You also will NOT see a professional BBQ cook using charcoal in their cooks off and nor would you find gas. Most use lump charcoal or wood or a combination of the 2. I perfer wood ( when available ), lump charcoal next , followed by regular charcoal.

;c

16. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Interesting, I've never seen it here that I know of. Must be a southern thing... Are there brand names? I'd like to try to find some and try it...

17. noway

noway

Go to walmart or sometimes sam-mart. They have the big bags of it. Just be warn you will get dirty from it. It has the same ash like substance but times a factor of 10 when compared to charcoal briquettes. I don't have a bag now, but I do believe it's made by the same makers of regular charcoal. I used to buy a generate brand sold in around TN area in big 30lbs bags. Don't remember the name.

Also regular charcoal suppose to have additives in it to make it's flavor and to burn as long as it does. So think or "lump charcoal" as natural and charcoal as not. Also (IMHO) when the lump charcoal burns it produce less carbon/ash stuff that can blow around in the grill and end up on the meats.

Good luck, you will never use charcoal again or at least for meats that you care about. ;c

18. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Several near here. I'll go out today and see what I can find.

Now I'm gonna have to replace my charcoal grill that burned out some weeks ago.

Thanks for the info...;c

19. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Unreconstructed

My brother and I do lots of cooking on a grill. We have both been through them all, several of every kind. My personal favorite is a One-Touch Weber charcoal grill.

Our bottom line (yours may be different):

Charcoal grills and smokers are the only way to go with slow cooking (pork and chicken) because you have to keep it low and slow. But they take more care (starting fires, cleaning our ashes, adding fuel.)

Gas grills are OK for things you plan to grill fast: steaks, hamburgers, hotdogs for the kids and don't care if the fire flares up. They are esaier to deal with: easy fuel, no ashes, quick start.

The inherent problem with gas grills is that they all have an open cooking box with no ability to damp the air. And that uncontrolled air allows major flareups. There's just no way around it. Lean under a gas grill and look up and you will see openings that you cannot close off.

My problem is when I have a hot fire and getting ready to put the steaks on, I get asked, "Er, can you cook a chicken breast for Jane. She doesn't eat red meat, you know." Aaaaaaaggggghhhh. No. The steaks will be ready in about 15 to 20 minutes and I don't eat cold steak.

NRA_guy

20. Phil306

Phil306

Ok, BBQ experts (god knows I aint one), need somemore help. What do you put on that heavy cast iron propane grill, to keep things from sticking? I've tried PAM, etc and it doesn't seem to work???

Thin The Herd