close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Propane tank only good for 12 years?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ICARRY2, Apr 1, 2012.

1. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

I just went down to u-haul to fill up my propane tank and the guy said 12 years after the date of manufacturer they were no longer allowed to refill them.

Anyone know if this is u-haul policy or some federal law?

2. RenoF250

RenoF250

I think they are supposed to be re-certified after that. Certification is probably nearly as much as a new tank. I bet if you go somewhere else they will fill it.

3. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Go do a trade-in @ Lowe's and get a new tank.

Granted, their 20lb tanks are only filled w/ 18lbs but at least you'll get a new tank.

4. tongix

tongix

I usually go at HEB for an exchange. I notice they are more heavier and last me a good while. THe ones at Walmart dont . I may try the local refill station at Uhaul.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  5. ICARRY2

ICARRY2 NRA Life Member

I did refill at a gas station down the road. Will continue to refill it until nobody will. Then Ill just go buy a new tank at costco.

Then Ill take the old one out in the desert and shoot it up. :)

6. Halojumper

Halojumper

If it's twelve years old, it might be the old type of valve, which is not longer approved to refill.

ETA: I looked it up and the law requiring overpressure valves started in 1998. The old ones could be used through April 1, 2002, so that time frame seems about right.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  7. Match10

Match10 NRA Life Member

It is Pressure Vessel Code. And Fire Code. It is also true that they must be recertified.

8. MARKDANIEL

MARKDANIEL

+
    Yes it is code NFPA requires you to recertify a DOT tank 12 years after date of manufacture. Exchanging it is the cheapest way to get one that is refillable. However most exchange tanks are only filled 3/4 of the way it is legal if they put the net weight on the sleve on the tank. The exchange companys do this instead of raising the price of the exchange cutting down on the product instead of rasing the price.

9. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout Impossiblist

ok. In Texas, all LP laws and regs are from Texas Railroad Commissions office.

They state that propane tanks are 'good' for 12 years from the date stamped on the collar (The mfg date)

after that, by law, a tank is supposed to re-certified by someone authorized by the state to do that. They check for rust damage, leaks, etc. Then they will stamp a new date on the collar, here with an 'E' in front of it, and now the tank is good for 5 more years. Then another recert.

As someone already suggested, unless you want to research and find a place to recert., it and then pay to fix any issued it may potentially have, just spend 25-30 bucks and get a new tank.

and for those of you exchanging your propane tanks, STOP. Unless you like being raped.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Care to opine? :dunno:

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

12. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

:rofl:

13. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I take mine to the local propane distributor and have them refill and certify at the same time. No charge for the new certification there, unless they need to do something to the tank. Had one a couple years ago that needed a replacement valve. Totally worth it, since it was a 100 pound tank.