close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Propane or charcoal??????

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by DaleGribble, May 6, 2004.

1. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I'm in a grilling quandry!

When I still lived with the folks I used charcoal for all of my grilling needs. I was good with the charcoal grill, I liked it. Dare I say, I was at one with the coals!

Then when I moved out and got a wife my in-laws bought us a gas grill. I like the convenience and ease of using propane, but the food just doesn't have that grilled taste like you get with Kingsford or wood chips!

I'm thinking about ditching the propane grill with multiple racks and the easy ignitor for a regular old charcoal grill.

So what say you, my fellow GT'ers, do you prefer the ease and simplicity of propane or the flavor that comes from using charcoal? Am I making the right decision, or am I missing something when it comes to the propane?

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

I missed the taste.

What I do is take a piece of wood, mesquite,or my favorite oak and I wrap it in foil.

I twist the end shut on one end.

The other I twist around my finger to leave an opening.

This I place on the burner. Since it can't get enough air to burn it smokes nicely.

I like charcoal but when I am waiting the half hour for the coals to get right I miss the gas. lethal

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn

I tried gas, didn't like it, the flavor that is.
    Now all I use is charcoal. The time to get the coals going is just part of the prep time. I know how long it will take for them to be ready so I plan accordingly.

My FIL uses both. He uses the propane part of the grill to light the charcoal, so I guess he has the best of both worlds.

Ryan

4. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

Neither.

Oak, and nothing but oak. (Ok perhaps apple or other fruit tree wood fibers)

5. W Turner

W Turner

I only own a charcoal grill right now so thats all I use. I was raised on charcoal, so I am somewhat biased. For "grilling", i.e., cooking thin cuts quickly, I think it's pretty much a wash.

I intend to get a small gas grill for when I am cooking chicken breasts, hamburgers, etc. for just my wife and I. Easier, cleaner and I will sacrifice a little flavor for convenience in those cases. When it comes to large portion-grilling, barbecuing or smoking, charcoal is king. Gas will not ield anywhere near the same taste or quality.

My father is currently having a small custom charcoal grill/smoker custom fabricated. It cost him just shy of $2K, and will be ready by Memorial day. Can't wait to break it in........ ^7 ~2

Bull

6. noway

noway

Lump Charcoal or wood is the way to go. Propane is a joke but great for saving cost over charcoal and for no extra cleanups.

7. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

When its winter and there's snow on the ground and cold out I sure like that propane. Faster and easier than charcoal.

8. Wulfenite

Wulfenite The King

Propane.

The slight loss in smoky flavor is more than made up for in quantity, and the ability to cook things perfectly.

9. lwt210

lwt210

We use charcoal, Kingsford to be exact, mixed with hickory wood chips.

Currently, I am cooking out of a small Brinkman smoker that converts to a grill. Back in the day, I cooked out of brick pits at my grandfather's farm and other smoker grills.

Many of my neighbors have gas cookers. Yesterday I did chicken, boneless pork chops (thick cut) and two steaks; a strip and a porterhouse. Did some dogs and burgers just to snack on during the week.

I had to take one neighbor a plate after she dropped some subtle hints and the others looked like lost puppy dogs staring at our smoker over the fence.

I doubt we will ever own a gas grill. I know of several folks that bought one and eventually went back to Kingsford.

I worked a barbeque festival this last weekend and gas cookers could not be found. LOTS of Kingsford charcoal though. That says alot.

10. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

11. treadlightly

treadlightly

I have my grill hooked to the natural gas line of my house. In my opinion better than charcoal and propane.

12. phone*guy

phone*guy

You can have the best of both worlds. Check out the Weber Performer. It uses propane to get the coals going.

Weber Performer Web Link

13. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Mostly propane with smoldering various woods.
    But a few times a year we break out 2-55 gal drum bbq's and do coals.;Y

14. Rob96

Rob96 Millennium Member

I use a gas grill. Took the ridged steel plate out that covered the burners and replaced with a grate and ceramic briquettes. Also has a small steel box that holds my hickory chips. My wife made a top round roast and small roasted whole potatoes in butter and paprika. Talk about delicious.^c

15. GoGators

GoGators Stomatologist

Sure, coal may taste better, but I don't want to wait 50 billion years for them to heat up right. I use old dinosaur farts to cook on my grill.

16. Phil306

Phil306

Charcoal, definately charcoal.

17. Elk-ruser

Elk-ruser EMT-B IV

Both. If I'm in a hurry, it's the gas grill. If not, charcoal because I much prefer the charcoal flavor. I can taste the gas fumes on the food most of the time.

Erik

18. Fireman64

Fireman64 REALIST

19. mudfootball

mudfootball

I am a charcoal kind of guy, but its a damn shame to fire the thing up , let the charcoals gray when all you are making is half a dozen hot diggidy dogs. In such situation propane is nice and fast, otherwise give me charcoal
    kt

20. Phil306

Phil306

I just had 1 1/2" thick, bone in Ribeye Steak on the grill. Marinated over night in Stubbs Beef Marinade. Now, a gas grill would have ruined that. Charcoal my friends, charcoal, with mesquite wood chips. Yummy yum yum...