Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Glockers:

I write today to encourage those of you who carry to purchase the Proofmark Muzzle Safety Device, or MSD. Below you’ll see a series of photographs of the MSD both on and off my Glock 21. Learned about it in some gun magazine. At first I thought it was a gizmo, or gimmick. But after studying it further, it made sense, especially if you carry often. What it does is it prevents the gun from going out of battery in a close combat situation. Let’s say you’re jumped by some meth-head wielding a knife without warning and you’re barely able to draw your weapon. Further, you’re unable to put any distance between you and Mr. Attacker. That’s when the MSD kicks in. You can jam your muzzle in the gut or ribs and the gun WILL fire this time because the MSD prevents the gun from going out of battery. I tried it on an old punching bag and it worked as advertised. It’s made of aluminum and has a separate carbide tip conically shaped. This is an auto glass breaker. The only downside is that it’s somewhat expensive—about $100. But, there is an LEO discount of 25%! That’s a substantial break. So, I encourage you to check it out. There are others out there but I chose the Proofmark version because I liked the glass breaker. So, behold below the MSD. There is also a company called Gunfighters Inc who makes a nice Kydex holster which specifically accommodates the MSD. Thanks.

View: https://youtu.be/vW_ExR5aLdQ

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,751 Posts
Proofmark? That's a GG&G Alternative Force Block that dates back to 1990 or so. I'm sure the patents have expired by now, but it would be nice to see proper attribution. (Not you, OP).

Reactions: -JCN-

·
Registered
36,207 Posts
Put something useful on your glock like a weapon light?

Reactions: Redeemed

·
NRA Life Member
66,447 Posts
Fred I don’t believe in weapon lights. ITT just tells the bad guy “shoot here,.” Cmon man. We gotta agree on something
I guess a light won't help if your self-defense plan involves jamming your gun into the bad guy. :rofl: Many of us think it is way more likely we'll need to identify a threat than punch a guy with our guns. Heck, I have actually punched a guy in the face with my gun so hard it pushed the hammer back to half-cock (Bereta 92FS) and I still think this thing is silly.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well buddy you never know until you need one. As to the fashionable taclights, there are other, better ways to deploy flashlights in the dark other than illuminating your own center mass for your enemy. I learned in the Marine Corps that keeping my night vision intact was preferable to lighting up rooms. But you do what you want to do and I’ll roll my own way.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I think the chances of having to shoot a pork shoulder at point blank range inside my own vehicle followed by having to break the side window to free myself, is kinda' slim. Now, if I was having a cookout I could strap one of those gizmos onto my dedicated BBQ gun and use it as a meat tenderizer on london broils before throwing them over the coals.

Now, it's not like I'm cheap or anything, but the model shown below doesn't require a $450 handle and is much cheaper at only $15.95, and it looks like it'll break glass better then that other silly thing - 'just sayin' ;):

OXO Meat Tenderizer, available at Williams Sonoma...

·
Registered
14,127 Posts
Well buddy you never know until you need one. As to the fashionable taclights, there are other, better ways to deploy flashlights in the dark other than illuminating your own center mass for your enemy. I learned in the Marine Corps that keeping my night vision intact was preferable to lighting up rooms. But you do what you want to do and I’ll roll my own way.
If that's what you learned, I am sorry to say that the Marine Corps didn't teach you well.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think the chances of having to shoot a pork shoulder at point blank range inside my own vehicle followed by having to break the side window to free myself, is kinda' slim. Now, if I was having a cookout I could strap one of those gizmos onto my dedicated BBQ gun and use it as a meat tenderizer on london broils before throwing them over the coals.

Now, it's not like I'm cheap or anything, but the model shown below doesn't require a $450 handle and is much cheaper at only $15.95, and it looks like it'll break glass better then that other silly thing - 'just sayin' ;):

OXO Meat Tenderizer, available at Williams Sonoma...
So, you don’t like it? Then don’t buy it Jack

·
Banned
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that's what you learned, I am sorry to say that the Marine Corps didn't teach you well.
Pretty heavy remark to a disabled veteran. Did you ever serve? Just to educate you, one of the first things they teach you in the field is no flashlights, cigarettes, any illumination at night. Do you think the Marines at Guadalcanal would’ve been safer with thousands of taclights illuminating a battalion size movement to contact? Do you think they would have blinded the Japanese? f I were you I’d lay off the military put downs and ad hominem attacks and just keep the subject limited to the facts

·
Super Moderator
18,751 Posts
Pretty heavy remark to a disabled veteran. Did you ever serve? Just to educate you, one of the first things they teach you in the field is no flashlights, cigarettes, any illumination at night. Do you think the Marines at Guadalcanal would’ve been safer with thousands of taclights illuminating a battalion size movement to contact? Do you think they would have blinded the Japanese? f I were you I’d lay off the military put downs and ad hominem attacks and just keep the subject limited to the facts
This is a discussion board, not a blog. When you bring up a point, it's fair game to be discussed.

Now, might tactics have evolved some since 1942? Why, yes, they might. For example:

Look, a Marine with a white light on his weapon! And just one other point on that....there's a difference between "everything outside the wire is a target" and the situation here in the civil world. So lighting up the room can, maybe, depends on the totality of the circumstances, have some importance.

Now back to the discussion...anyone want to guess on the chances that the "patent pending" copy of another company's design is going to make it?

Reactions: Mr Meeseeks

·
Come on man!!
16,549 Posts
Now back to the discussion...anyone want to guess on the chances that the "patent pending" copy of another company's design is going to make it?
Not gonna make it, but I like to illuminate in brief increments while also moving, so I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Besides that, if I actually need a standoff device when I'm trying to shoot someone, I'll resort to whatever savagery is necessary as things have gone to complete **** and I'm probably about to die anyway.

·
Quick! Duck!
3,503 Posts
Fred I don’t believe in weapon lights. ITT just tells the bad guy “shoot here,.” Cmon man. We gotta agree on something
My G21 shoots pretty much center of my TLR's beam, so I do not need to keep the pistol near me to hit something. I like having choices (and light).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.