close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Promoting a different hobby

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by southplinker, Apr 17, 2007.

1. southplinker

southplinker

Hello fellow bogsters!!! Pls. bare with me on this one:supergrin:

I'm thinking if I can promote this great hobby of metal detecting here in the Philippines.

Well I started metal detecting back in California as an alternative hobby when I got into a vehicular accident in California. My therapist said that I have to rest my back for a month and not to put stress on it. So not airsoft for me that time.

Saw segment on Discovery channel about metal detecting and I said I always wanted to have one of those. So I ordered a detector and started detecting the local parks and as soon as I dug my first quarter, I was totally hooked!

The idea of knowing that something is buried on the ground and actually retrieving it is just amazing. It's like fishing on land, you need patience as most of the time you could end up digging for pull tabs. Sometimes I see detecting as a time machine, when ever I find something old, it makes me wonder how did it get there and stuff.

I was able to find out through one of the members of a metal detecting forum that there are detectorist here in the Philippines. He said, so far I'll be the 4th person he knows who does MD for a hobby in the Philippines. I think the guy is from Gen San check out what he found:shocked:
    [​IMG]

Our country is rich in historical events, Luneta park alone holds a lot. People who go there is bound to drop something and loose it forever. Our beaches too I'm pretty sure has accumulated a lot of stuff, may it be coins or jewelries.

It would be nice if the number of detectorist here in the Philippines increases. Yun nga lang hindi maiiwasan mga usyosero:banana:

Wag nyo lang dalhin sa shooting range dalhin panay basyo ang makukuha nyo:tongueout:

Anywayz, what do you think are chances that this hobby will catch up? Would you be interested in it? Would Filipinos be interested in it?

I'll be getting my detector by the end of the month and if anyone is interested I'll be happy to give a demo, I'm just a PM away;)

Thank you for lending me your time:thumbsup:

2. st. matthew

st. matthew c_w@_u_need_2_c

another hobby that comes with that is treasure hunting:supergrin:
    tried it with some chinese/japanese friends years before, no luck hehehehe!
    would like to try it again though,if i had the funds and proper equipment:)

3. gundog

gundog senior gunner

crazy idea friend. how much ba metel detector? mukhang ok na hobby yan, definitely interested. il pm you my home number.

4. southplinker

southplinker

Mukang delikado ata ang treasure hunting dito sa atin. May mga Filipinos nga sa isang forum still looking for the YAMA****As treasure. Yung iba na nag claim that they know where it is and looking for funds, I think mga con artist yung iba. If you have the time read on http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,74098.0.html
    nakakatawa yung ibang claims, i guess yung iba hardcore treasure hunters na din.

Mahal na equipment pag gold bars na pinag uusapan.

5. vega

vega

Cheapest is about $100. Or you can buy used at $50, kung may matiyempuhan ka.

6. DA_NINJA

DA_NINJA

Just saw one on sale at Walmart the other day. It's kinda about $100 dollars or so.... di naman siya gaanong mahal.

7. st. matthew

st. matthew c_w@_u_need_2_c

oo maraming naloloko sa treasure hunting na yan:supergrin:
    stick na lang tayo sa hand held metal detectors, sa beach maganda maghanap :)

8. southplinker

southplinker

Crazy indeed Sir Gundog, sabi nga ng pinasan ko..

WTF are you going to do with a metal detector?!:supergrin:

Kanya-kanyang trip lang yan sabi ko:upeyes: Ikaw nga golf, tirahin mo bola tapos habulin mo uli:tongueout:

Depends Sir, ranges from $200-$4000, the $4000 one are nugget detectors. Very popular in Arizona, Nevada, SoCal and parts of Australia where gold nuggets are still plenty.

The $200 one will allow you to find coins, jewelries and other metal objects. While the $200 and above will have different bells and whistles, it all depends on what you want to find.

I'm glad your interested Sir! Just fire away if you have anymore questions:thumbsup:

9. southplinker

southplinker

+1

lalo na sa garage sale dyan, kung may ma tiyempuhan ka nga lang.

10. southplinker

southplinker

Yep Walmart and Radio Shack carries them also but I think the ones they're are selling is more of a toy than a serious detector, even National Geographic sells their on detector.

If your serious about detecting, try kellycodetectors.com, lots of info there and that's where I got my first detector.

11. southplinker

southplinker

My first metal detector was a Garrett GTP1350.

Yup, that's the brand that's being used by most security mall.

And here are a couple of marines putting the detector to the test:supergrin:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AfUvZa7Bs_g

12. ahtsay

ahtsay

Is it cheaper than a Canon D40? :animlol: I think we should buy one for the bad boys, para completo shells natin parati. :supergrin:

13. New_comer

New_comer

Mitsa pa ata ng buhay itong hobby ito. Ngeeeeee!!!!:shocked:

14. southplinker

southplinker

Canon ba or Nikon D40? Nakaka-lito na din mga models ngayun!

Mapapagod ka sa kahuhukay ng shells nyan ahtsay:supergrin:

15. southplinker

southplinker

Konting ingat nga lang sa pag hukay:supergrin:

My Garrett detector actually shows me how large the item is before I dig it out. Neat huh:thumbsup:

16. southplinker

southplinker

Not sure if it's real pero maka hanap lang ako ganito, ok na sa akin:shocked:
    [​IMG]

17. theTactician

theTactician

if i'll do metal detecting as a hobby, i hope i wont detect something like a world war II nuke or c4 or something. hehehe.

18. southplinker

southplinker

Same here Tact:shocked: Ok lang granada basta may pin pa naka kabit:supergrin:

Isang 2log na lang dito na new toy ko:banana: