Programmable 2-ways

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by havensal, Aug 14, 2007.

1. havensal

havensal Getting older every day! CLM

I hope this is the proper place to post this, I know it isn't HAM, but you would probably be the best to ask. I am looking into a hand held 2-way to communicate short distances. I believe the freq. is going to be in the 155.xxx range, not my choice. I see some that say that they are programmable, but how do you program them?

For instance This One

Is it a simple "on screen" program, special PC cable, Special big $ equipment? My understanding is that most if not all have to be programmed with some special electronic equipment, think Motorola dealer stuff. Am I out to lunch on this? Have the radios become that easy to program?

Thanks, please let me know if this isn't the right place to post this and I will have it moved to GNG. :)

2. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Most all Ham transceivers these days are easily programmed with a computer. The cables are also easily obtained or made, a lot of companies even include instructions in their manual.

That radio you posted there is keypad programmable, I don't see anything mentioned about PC connections. But at $70, you get what you pay for.

I may pick one up for RDF use myself :)

3. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

WARNING! WARNING WARNING!

I would be VERY careful. These radios are NOT FCC certified for operation in the US. There is a whole bunch of this type transceiver offered on eBay. I emailed on of the companies and asked for the FCC certification number (I knew there was not one) and received the following reply:

Dear sir

Thanks for your interested in our items.

Our technician advise that Our QUANSHENG radio not FCC certified ! But it is standard radios , we sell more to USA , not any problem , please take it easy !

Hope we will help your question.

Please if you would like to purchase from us, feel free to contact us at [email protected]

Bid with confidence!

Best regards,
    Linda

Check out:

http://www.emcommforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=68

73 de WI9NDY

4. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Ham equipment doesn't have to be FCC certified. It's a privilege we have, as it allows us to build our own equipment.

But good point on the business bands, you will need a type certified radio to transmit.

5. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

You are incorrect. While our transmitters do not need to be certified the receivers must be. Also ANY manufactured transceiver offered for sale (GMRS, FRS, business band, CB, and yes ham) must be certified. Read the FCC citations, many sellers are being cited and fined for selling "10-meter" rigs that are not certified.

EXAMPLE

EXAMPLE 2

FCC Citations

6. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Those are modified export CB's used for freeband.

I better go disable the reciever in my Elecraft......

7. uhlawpup

uhlawpup l'Italia s'è desta

Just an aside...

There is no such thing as a "freeband."

The good news is that fines are increasing and increasingly being collected for violation of FCC and ITU regulations.

Who knows? Soon the citizens band may really be usable for its intended purpose again. I certainly hope that is the case.

By the way, if you witness unlicensed or illegal operation or the sale or possession of contraband radios, do your duty as a true "amateur" and report it to the FCC compliance people. The "amateur" in radio amateur is from the French, and means one who participates in the hobby because of the love of it.

The more folks who play by the rules, the better it will be for all of us.

8. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

that's why those freeband CB's were issued citations.....

a CB has to be type accepted.. I still maintain ham equipment does not.