close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Program Install Control

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Hawk11, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Hawk11

Hawk11

I am looking for a program that can be installed on a windows system (98,2000 & XP) that will not allow the end user to install programs.
    I remember at one time seeing something like this that started with windows & you had to have a password to install a progam.

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Well, in XP you can password protect your account and let everyone else log onto a Limited account, where they cannot add, delete, or modify any files at all.

There is also Possum's Task Lock.... but I have no experience with that one.

Hope this helps!

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

In Windows XP or 2k you can restrict installs by having the only administrator account on the PC, if the account is password protected and you’ve setup additional users with restricted accounts. There is another feature in XP and 2k that can restrict a user’s ability to launch any program; it’s the "Run with Different Credentials" option. Right click a program shortcut, and choose Properties. On the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button. Check the box next to "Run with different credentials" and click OK twice to make the change effective. From now on, when you click the shortcut to start the program, you will be prompted for which user to run it as ... if you need to do it in 98 or ME I’d use WinGuard Pro.