close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

professional shooter?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by legacy38, Oct 23, 2011.

1. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

What exactly is the definition of "professional shooter" for the purposes of GSSF?

2. mike g35

mike g35

Pro's are the guys who are sponsored. They get paid to shoot.

3. SARDG

SARDG

Yes, I'm 'sponsored' by Team Alabama Holster Co and get 'paid' in t-shirts. :supergrin:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  4. ede

ede Bama's Friend

That's not a very accurate description of a professional shooter. Lot of shooters have sponsers, myself included. The majority of even big name shooters don't make a living shooting. Quite a few work in their sponsors advertising or marketing groups. I'd be willing to bet you can count on both hands the number of shooters who actually make a living shooting.

5. Buski

Buski

..Put me on one finger.:supergrin:

Weapons Tester @ FNMI; though, I do not get paid to shoot GSSF.:crying:

Good shooting

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

that's an interesting spin on professional shooter. i guess the guy, or gal, who fires the two test rounds and collects the spent cases and drops them in the envelope is also a professional shooter.

7. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Big difference.. pretty sure Jay spends his entire day shooting. If all u do is shoot all day and get paid for it..

Plus, Jay isn't "just a shooter"... he was in the Gunny Challenge at least once... 2009?

8. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Maybe this is a great place for that insurance commerical with the guy and the falcon
    i've taken PTO to go to matches, so I was paid to shoot in competition, ergo I am a professional shooter.

9. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

I an email conversation with GSSF about this, and it appears there is no list of set criteria and is pretty much handled on a case by case basis. A rule of thumb is someone that is basically making their living as a competitive shooter.

Sponsorship in and of itself does not immediately make someone a professional shooter thus a master.

10. Buski

Buski

[/QUOTE]that's an interesting spin on professional shooter. i guess the guy, or gal, who fires the two test rounds and collects the spent cases and drops them in the envelope is also a professional shooter.

11. Buski

Buski

12. Buski

Buski

I think "legacy" pretty much explained it; key word being "competitive."

The GSSF definition seems to work well.

Good shooting

13. mike g35

mike g35

That was a poor answer, sorry about that. I guess thats the kind of answer you post after having a bad match that day.:embarassed:

14. ede

ede Bama's Friend

that's an interesting spin on professional shooter. i guess the guy, or gal, who fires the two test rounds and collects the spent cases and drops them in the envelope is also a professional shooter.
    yeah, sometimes the story is a lot better if you leave out a lot of the details. i have a good one that always gets a lot of attention, as long as I leave the details out, too bad i can't post it here.

15. MajorD

MajorD

I think people like rob leatham dave sevigny and such- people who work for gun companies are sponsored by them/employed by them for the purposes of shooting competitively and promoting a product would be examples of professional shooters. I doubt if my local holster maker gave me a t-shirt,baseball cap and holster and asked me to hand out his business card at a match that it would be considered pro.
    look at it this way- people employed by glock such as armorers and marketing people who often shoot in gssf matches when they work them are not considered pro.