Professional or weekend flyer?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dfowler21, Aug 19, 2005.

1. dfowler21

dfowler21 NFA this!

How many of you out there are flying for a living?

Recreational?

Own your own plane?

As for myself, Im flying for two NASCAR teams. Couldnt afford my own plane if I sold everything I own, and dont have time to fly for fun anymore :cool:

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I retired about 3 years ago from flying helicopters in the Gulf of Mexico.
    Surprisingly after flying for 40 years I didn't miss it too much.

I rented a couple airplanes to take friends for rides but that wasn't enough fun to fool with.
    I just figured after 40+ years and 22,000+ hours I was just burned out.

A friend had a powered parachute and like a fool I taxied it around about 20 minutes then took off. About that time I realized I didn't know how to land it.;f

It's a strange flying machine but I liked it well enough to buy one and I fly it out of my place.

This getting back to the most basic flying is like flying a J3 Cub again. I'm enjoying it to the point of buying a fixed wing ultralite last week.:)

3. ChopperEd

ChopperEd

That's cool M2.

Been working at an airport for the past 2 years and working my way through flight school. Just got my CFI-H earlier this month and then on the 24th is my CFII-H checkride. 215 hours and beginning my helo career.

4. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

My career is in aviation. I train Army pilots to fly helicopters. Currently I am training to add a fixed wing instructor certificate.

One of the biggest mistakes of my life was selling a Cessna 172 about 14 years ago. :(

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Where are you Tim, Ft Rucker?

6. TimC

TimC Uhavthecontrols

Yes indeed. Working in primary training since 1986. Started in the TH-55, transitioned to the UH-1, and now Bell 206 (TH-67). I originally learned to fly in a Bell 47D-1.

I've always had somewhat of a desire to teach fixed wing, and finally going to get that certificate.

7. jungle

jungle

Twenty six years as a professional. Thirteen split between the Marines and the Navy. Currently 767/757.

8. dfowler21

dfowler21 NFA this!

Wow, a lot of helicopter guys. Ive always wanted to get my helicopter certificate, but I just dont have the money. I have got in with one of the driver's helo pilots and I bum rides in the Bell 407 he flies as often as I can.

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

We had some instructors go to Ft Rucker when Ft Wolters shut down. I ended up flying in the Rocky mountains.

I loved instructing helicopter primary.
    I enjoyed teaching fixed wing also, but it isn't the challenge that teaching someone to fly a helicopter is.
    One of the instructors in my flight wanted to burn some VA money getting his FW. I soloed him in a Cessna 150 in 45 minutes. ;f

I think you'll like teaching FW.

Take care.

10. allanteman

allanteman

I'm an EMS helicopter pilot. I was a CFI-H & tour/charter pilot for 4 years prior to getting this job. I used my A&P/IA and fixed wing rating on the side to make money through those years--don't really use them that much anymore.

One day I'd like to buy an R44 for goofing around, but on my few days off, I'd rather NOT be flying (as strange as that sounds.) For now I have a two buddies with R22s that let me borrow them.

-Jonathan

11. westwindmike

westwindmike

I am a professional pilot. I fly for a restaurant chain that owns a Westwind Jet and a King Air 300 turboprop. Been flying for a living now for 25 years.

12. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

Wow, lots of pros on this board, who'd have known? :)

Me, just a hack. I soloed on my 16th (29 ago) and have always been totally in love with flying. The guns are around just to try to make sure I'm around to watch my medical expire.

I've never made a dime at flying, which is probably good, since I only hold a PPL (SEL/MEL/IA). I guess I'm a little more than a weekend flyer, since I fly a lot of weekdays, too.

I use every opportunity to fly for my business as well.

I own a 182.

Doesn't work that way. You just buy the plane. Then, you start selling stuff. ;)

13. loboblanca

loboblanca

I fly a Hawker for a living. Funny, when I was banging around in recips all I wanted was the jet. Now that I work my tail off, I long for the days of grabbing a recip and going flying just for the heck of it. I was at Boston-Logan the other day and saw two guys taxi in front of me in a 172, Dave Clarks on and everything, smiling. I told my partner "man those were the days, huh?" Yeah it was fun, and like the poster above said, I can't afford to fly recreationally. But I love my job because I worked real hard to get here, and it really is cool even though they work us 12-14 hours a day, just wish my company wasn't infected with the corporate disease of the bottom line.

I saw this thing on the internet the other day that was funny yet poignant: a student is working the pattern towards his private ticket, he is following a CFI in a twin and thinks to himself "man I wish that were me." The CFI in front of him working with his student sees a Lear landing, and thinks to himself "man I wish that were me." The Lear pilot, after depositing his pax and cleaning the interior up after the customers and emptying the toilet, walks out on the ramp and looks up and sees an airliner flying overhead and thinks to himself "man I wish that were me." The airline pilot flying overhead looks over and sees an international flight departing to Europe, and thinks to himself "man I wish that were me."

The international pilot looks down and sees the 152 in the pattern, and thinks to himself "man I wish that were me."

I guess it's all relative. We've all got the different gene, we love to fly. Cool beans.

14. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Ain't it the truth.
    I've only owned two airplanes in my life, an Aeronca 11AC (Chief) and a Stinson 10A and I couldn't afford either one of then.;f

And now that I can afford an airplane I don't want one.;Q

Sorry, I can't agree with you Bill.
    Anyone that's flown for 29 years is most certainly a Pro, doesn't make a bit of difference whether or not they made a cent at it.:)

15. Sky Pirate 7

Sky Pirate 7

I'm a weekend flyer with about 200 hours. Well, actually I usually fly once every two or three weeks. I got my license on my 17th birthday and later got my instrument rating. I was planning on flying professionally but the job market didn't seem too stable so I just fly for fun now and I'm planning on getting a MBA in airport management. I love airplanes and hopefully airport management will still allow me to pursue a career in aviation. I've flown in Ohio, Michigan, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Florida... oh, and through Canadian airspace over Lake Erie. :)

16. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

As usual, M2, you are very kind.

The 29 years sounds good, but several of them were pretty lean.

You've got more time on Sunday nights between 2-4 AM, than I have TT!

;f

17. AirCav

AirCav Out Front! CLM

I get to do a little of both. ;f

18. flyandscuba

flyandscuba

Aircav,

What part of Tennessee? I was with Life Force from its inception til the early 90s.

19. dfowler21

dfowler21 NFA this!

Thats pretty good ;z Never heard it put that way.

20. glocknsail

glocknsail

So true. But, you got to add the furloughed airline pilot in there somewhere.