Glock Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running into several defects when case gauging 9mm for a match this weekend with Winchester brass only. Splits in the case that prevents them from gauging as a go! No need for a big pfffft!
Not so with other brands just the WW and only recently. Anyone else?
Regards,
Plant Wood Nail Finger Thumb
Automotive lighting Circuit component Tints and shades Electric blue Rectangle

·
Registered
685 Posts
Running into several defects when case gauging 9mm for a match this weekend with Winchester brass only. Splits in the case that prevents them from gauging as a go! No need for a big pfffft!
Not so with other brands just the WW and only recently. Anyone else?
Regards, View attachment 1066280 View attachment 1066281
Those are cracks from work-hardening, or possibly chemical cleaning. I've never reloaded 9mm cases enough times for them to crack. I have with 40sw, 45acp and 44mag.
To be honest, I don't know why they crack the way they do. I also load on an SDB with the dies that "coke bottle" the 9mm cartridge.
When 45acp and 40sw crack, it is usually after at least 3 load cycles - I load them fairly stout. I see the cracking with both nickel-plated and plain and I've never noticed a trend with a particular vendor.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to splits I've encountered. Without understanding the source or history of the cases, it's hard to weigh in with anything substantive.

Good luck with the match this weekend. Have some fun.
I am pretty picky about my brass. Sorted by each manufacturer, and the loader is adjusted for each brand of brass. Clean it, resize it separately from the Dillon 650 or 450, then every round is checked in a Wilson case gauge before firing. I only use WW, federal, blazer, and r-p for reloading. If there is any concerns with a piece of brass, it goes in the scrap bucket.

All the S&B, GFL etc go into the scrap bucket. Aguila goes into the scrap bucket. I’ve seen too many ooopsees on the range, and don’t want to be that guy…

Thanks, it should be a good weekend. Again the problems are only with WW.

Regards,

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those are cracks from work-hardening, or possibly chemical cleaning. I've never reloaded 9mm cases enough times for them to crack. I have with 40sw, 45acp and 44mag.
To be honest, I don't know why they crack the way they do. I also load on an SDB with the dies that "coke bottle" the 9mm cartridge.
When 45acp and 40sw crack, it is usually after at least 3 load cycles - I load them fairly stout. I see the cracking with both nickel-plated and plain and I've never noticed a trend with a particular vendor.
I wet clean the brass, with Dawn dish soap. I gave up on the dry media and additives a long time ago. These are just reloads for competition in GSSF, so no extreme PF to make. I would say that those from that lot haven’t been reloaded more then 5 times.

This is only happening with the 9mm WW! 40, 45 ACP, 45 GAP, etc I have zero issues with. Even 10mm and the mags aren’t splitting like this unless they have been loaded stoutly, and several times over.

Regards,

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Very seldom I get a case split in 9mm or 45 ACP because I lose them eventually. Now my revolver cases split because some of them have been loaded twenty times.

Now maybe the chamber of your 9mm is not in spec?

·
Registered
38,410 Posts
I am pretty picky about my brass. Sorted by each manufacturer, and the loader is adjusted for each brand of brass. Clean it, resize it separately from the Dillon 650 or 450, then every round is checked in a Wilson case gauge before firing. I only use WW, federal, blazer, and r-p for reloading. If there is any concerns with a piece of brass, it goes in the scrap bucket.

All the S&B, GFL etc go into the scrap bucket. Aguila goes into the scrap bucket. I’ve seen too many ooopsees on the range, and don’t want to be that guy…

Thanks, it should be a good weekend. Again the problems are only with WW.

Regards,
Range pickups or bought once fired? Range pickups can be once or 10x fired & hard to tell 2x fired vs 10x fired. Cases split from over working; sizing & expanding. I also sort out foreign brass, I just get too many issues with longer 147gr bullets in anything but US brass. I lose my 9mm before I see splits. They happen in all bras btw, pistol or rifle.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
3,387 Posts
...so not a fan of Winchester; the only cases I can cull out (with 94% accuracy) after tumbling without looking at the headstamp. #dezincification

Cases of ammo sent back for setback issues, too, put them on my 'never again' list, which is a mile long now with all the asinine wokeness ongoing. :)

(But I do like those MGs you're putting on top, sir. Nice.)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very seldom I get a case split in 9mm or 45 ACP because I lose them eventually. Now my revolver cases split because some of them have been loaded twenty times.

Now maybe the chamber of your 9mm is not in spec?
Cannot tell which case, came from which gun. I don’t sort them that way. Glocks chambers on the Gen 4-5 are pretty tight. Their barrels have always been more accurate then most people can hold them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Range pickups or bought once fired? Range pickups can be once or 10x fired & hard to tell 2x fired vs 10x fired. Cases split from over working; sizing & expanding. I also sort out foreign brass, I just get too many issues with longer 147gr bullets in anything but US brass. I lose my 9mm before I see splits. They happen in all bras btw, pistol or rifle.
Once fired from a police range that only has factory ammo fired on it. I haven’t had to scrounge brass in over 20 years or so. I have 5 gallon buckets full of brass. The only thing I had to work on getting was GAP for the wife’s pistols. And for that I just bought a bunch of starline, and a bunch of factory GAP when I could get it at $12.50/box To shoot up and save the brass.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...so not a fan of Winchester; the only cases I can cull out (with 94% accuracy) after tumbling without looking at the headstamp. #dezincification

Cases of ammo sent back for setback issues, too, put them on my 'never again' list, which is a mile long now with all the asinine wokeness ongoing. :)

(But I do like those MGs you're putting on top, sir. Nice.)
MG is the only way to go imho. I sure wish I could get some more 200 Gr 45’s from them! Been able to get the 9mm bullets, just none of the 45’s. They work well in the acp and gap! Probably just going to toss the WW into the scrap bucket now. Along with the foreign brands. Litter bucket full of brass is over $100 around here!

Regards,

·
Registered
14,999 Posts
I don't notice splitting from most of the straight wall pistol cases I load, except for nickel ones.
Others just seem to be random.
I do get splitting in .45 Colt cases. I'm sure it's due to work hardening, since I only load lead for .45 Colt.

·
Registered
38,410 Posts
I don't notice splitting from most of the straight wall pistol cases I load, except for nickel ones.
Others just seem to be random.
I do get splitting in .45 Colt cases. I'm sure it's due to work hardening, since I only load lead for .45 Colt.
Also 45 colt cases are pretty thin compared to 357 or 44mag.

Reactions: norton

·
Registered
8,062 Posts
Another note that splits can be due to work hardening as mentioned above. It can also be due to improper production processes (annealing, etc.). I've had numerous cases split (rifle and pistol) on the first firing -- even some Starline cases, and I consider Starline brass to be excellent. Everyone has a bad day at the factory now and then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts