close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problems with some banner and Flash ads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by najaboy, Aug 16, 2004.

1. najaboy

najaboy

I never thought I'd be complaining about not seeing ads, but here I am. My problem is some banner ads as well as some Flash ads (ie, Chevy ad on main page of Yahoo) will not display. In the case of the banner ads, a "page cannot be displayed" message take the place of the ad. What makes this problematic is that IE adds the url of the blocked banner ad to its list of recently visited pages. Because of this, I generally have to click the back button several times just to navigate back one page. The ads being blocked generally are hosted by doubleclick.net. A typical problem page for me is http://www.epinions.com/cmd?tab=1

This issue seems to have started just after installing sp2. I'm using Zone Alarm Pro, and Windows' firewall is disabled. Thus far, I've tried shutting down ZAP, turning off IE's pop-up blocker, adding doubleclick.net to the trusted zone, and even uninstalling sp2... all with the same negative results

As I said, this issue seems to be limited to just some banner and Flash ads. For example, while the banners at epinions.com don't display, those at most other sites will. Likewise, Flash ads at yahoo.com won't display, but animations on macromedia.com (checking for latest version of flash player) do.

I'm able to surf from my laptop without these problems, but then again, it's running sp1.

2. najaboy

najaboy

Problem fixed...

It turns out Kazaa Lite added a couple hundred lines to my hosts file.

Everything is now working as advertised, and all is well with sp2.

3. sandboy6184

sandboy6184

Word of advice, FIREFOX