Problems with my Glock 20 with reloaded ammos ... help please!

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by g20addicted, Nov 9, 2010.

1. g20addicted

g20addicted

So, last night I started, for the first time, to reload some ammo for my 10mm G20C .

I use Vihtavuori N340 powder with 180gr TMJ (not full metal jacked) bullets.
    Looking at the official Vih tables, I should go between 6 and 6,5 grains, but my armourer shop gave me another table where it stated that I could range from 5,5 to 7,4 grains.

I decided, anyway, to make two different loads: 6,2 and 6,7 grains (which correspond, respectively, to the .66 and .71 holes of the auto-disk of the Lee Deluxe Reloading pistol kit).

With BOTH of the loads, when I went shooting today at the range, the slide of the gun NEVER rested open at the end of the rounds... it ALWAYS closed back...
    --> Am I using too soft loads? What could be the problem??

Please note that I installed a NY1 trigger spring, but I should have done the whole reassembly procedure perfectly!

Your help is very much appreciated guys!

thanks!!

2. ede

ede

if you never had the problem before your loads might be a little bit on the soft side. how do they feel soft or not? i'd look at a couple different manuals and see where your loads are.

3. Dingus

Dingus

The official table at www.vihtavuori.fi suggests 5.6 to 6.4 gr of 340 at an oal of 1.256 for a 180-gr JHP

4. Dingus

Dingus

I also suggest you use a scale to weigh your charges.

5. g20addicted

g20addicted

that is why I think that I am not on the soft side at all, using 6,2 and 6,7 gr....

may it be a problem connected with the NY1?

6. Dingus

Dingus

Perhaps you messed up the slide stop lever when installing the NY1 spring. Do this:

1. Unload the pistol and magazine
    2. place an unloaded magazine in the pistol
    3. Rack the slide back by hand

Did the slide lock in the open position? If not, you have a damaged or incorrectly reinstalled slide stop lever or a damaged follower.

Lee discs are not accurate. Did you weigh the charges?

7. g20addicted

g20addicted

By following the procedure 1.2.3 you just suggested me, YES, the slide locks in the open position. No problem at all.
    I also tried to load a bullet in the mag (a fully built ammo but with NO powder and NO primer installed in order to simulate a real operation but at no risk), chabered it in the barrell and then "slided it out" manually as to simulate a shot, very quickly: the resul is that the slide DOES lock open (with the empty mag still in, obviously)...

Concerning the reloads, yes I measured the charges, and every charge resulted in some 0.2 grs lighter than what I was expecting from the autodisk measure...

but still the 6,7 grs (which may be, in reality, 6,5 grs) should be more than enough...

8. Dingus

Dingus

Is your recoil spring assembly stock? If so, try another powder combination.

9. bentbiker

bentbiker

Try a couple commercial rounds. If it locks back, you can rule out the gun as being the problem.

10. g20addicted

g20addicted

That is what I intend to do on thursday at the range. I currently use CCI Blazer 200 gr TMJ as commercial load...

as per the recoil spring, I have the stock one plus a captured steel guide with 17lbs "stock" spring.
    But in BOTH cases it has the same problem

will let you know on thursday!
    thanks!

11. Dingus

Dingus

The problem could be as simple as operator thumb riding the slide.

12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

No one ever answered you... but I'm pretty sure that trigger spring has NO impact in to whether or not the slide locks back. It's an independent action, I believe.

13. g20addicted

g20addicted

that is not possible as a couple of times I just put ONE round in the mag, loaded it, fired it (keeping my hands well solid on the grip without interfering with the weapon functions) and it did not slide lock... :)

I am now preparing some 7,1 gr loads with my Vih N340 to see if that will solve the problem

14. AustinTx

AustinTx

You're right. It could be that the OP field stripped his gun, for cleaning and put the gun back together with the slide stop spring where it is supposed to be. IOW the slide stop spring wasn't under the locking block pin, during the range session, with the trouble. Just a wag.

If the gun functions correctly, it's not your powder charge, causing that.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  15. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Have you verified the charge weights with a scale?
    The bushing charts could be off and you could be getting lower charges than you think.

16. g20addicted

g20addicted

Unfortunately the slide stop lever was correctly placed (and so its spring), I also checked it while shooting :) :(

Yes I did and infact not every time the weight of the LeeDisk was exact... but still, now I have produced 4 different REAL charges (weighted): 5.8 , 6.1 , 7 and 7.2 grains.

17. Dingus

Dingus

Those last two loads may blow your pistol. Try some factory ammo instead, as already suggested, or a different powder combo, again already suggested.

18. g20addicted

g20addicted

May it be that when I make the loads the bullet is too loose on the shell?

19. Dingus

Dingus

That could very well be. Use a caliper to check your crimp and adjust accordingly. I use a Lee factory Crimp Die in my final stage.

20. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Make sure you only use a minimum amount of flair to get the bullet started. Too much flair can reduce bullet tension. You don't want to rely on crimp to hold the bullet in place.
    Too little tension could let the bullet jump too far with the primer, and cause poor ignition, especially with a relatively slow (for auto pistols) powder like N340.
    I only just bump the case mouth with the expander/flair die, not enough to start the bullet, just enough to ensure the dings get ironed out. I hold the bullet on top of the case until it enters the seater die.
    Then I crimp just .003" or so, just enough to remove any flair and push in any imperfections.