close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

problems with lone wolf barrels

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mtgman, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mtgman

mtgman

I bought a lone wolf extended ported barrel for my glock 17 a couple years ago. I wanted something that would keep discharged gas from mucking up my glock laster light. Since the ports are along the top of the barrel I thought it would be a good choice. I read customer reviews and the only problem I came across was somebody complaining that the barrel caused the gun to jam. This guy supposedly brought this issue to lone wolf and they supposedly recommended he fire more ammo through it, to break it in. And supposedly after doing this he no longer experienced malfunctions. Well the same thing happened to me so I attempted the same solution. 4 boxes of ammo and many jams later it didn't seem to have any effect. I did find that hollow points feed better than fmj's, but aside from that I saw no signs of improvement. Now I have a 120 dollar paper weight. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm pretty upset about this. Not because of the wasted money, but because these guys are selling a product that has a massively high failure rate. How am I supposed to trust my safety to something like that? How many rounds do they think I should have to fire before their barrel works right? Should I really be expected to have to do that in the first place? It's ridiculous.

Anybody else experienced this issue? I'm not sure what to do about it. I haven't tried to contact lone wolf as I've never successfully gotten money back on a faulty product that I bought online, so I just never bothered.

Also, I would have posted this in the ask the experts forum but my account is restricting me for doing so.

2. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Call Lone Wolf. Explain the situation. They will open up the chamber a bit and fix the problem.

3. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

If you're the only one with the problem, I wouldn't call that a "massively high failure rate"... there could be many reasons for the jams, from operator error to a minor manufacturing problem.

Besides, you are basing your "solution" on something you read on the internet. Think for yourself.

But since you get your advice from the internet, I agree with the previous post, call Lonewolf, they have REALLY great customer service. Now, you didn't need to post on here to think of that, did you?

4. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Post your concern on the GATE Glock Pistol section of the forum. JR is the moderator and he will take care of you. JR is Lone Wolf.

5. mtgman

mtgman

cyrsequipment, do you really feel the need to belittle me? to act like a total *** to me on my very first post? how welcoming of you. please allow me to further elucidate my post so that your simple (as you obviously lack any sort of tact or sense of mutual respect) mind can understand my meaning. when I say that the barrel has a massively high failure rate, I was referring to MY barrel. as I do not own every lone wolf barrel ever made, but only this one, I can not say for sure that they all experience this issue as I simply do not have enough information to make that determination. what I was doing was making an assumption based on the information I was able to gather. was this not obvious from my post or do you lack the simple ability to make rationalizations based on a well written statement? I was pointing out what appeared to be a problem that other people have experienced before myself.

also, what's wrong with using the internet as a source of information and advice? more to the point, I went on a GLOCK forum to get GLOCK advice from the thousands if not tens of thousands of GLOCK ownder who frequent it. why are you even here if you don't think this is a legitimate resource? by extension of your statement you have personally insulted not only me, but EVERY other person who has EVER posted a question on this forum.

further more, I clearly stated why I have not yet contacted lone wolf about the issue. if it is your suggestion that I do contact them I'm sure you could have stated that without being a ****ing *******. thanks for your advice though. now can I give you some? you need to do a little work on your people skills, and maybe consider taking your own advise as well and quit posting on internet forums.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  6. mtgman

mtgman

i tried that first but since i just started this account i do not have access to GATE. i know its not on the list of forums that are blocked for new users, but for whatever reason it is blocked for me. super sad face.

7. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

Maybe send JR a PM...

I'm sure the issue can be resolved without much trouble.

I've put nearly a thousand flawless rounds through my LW 40-9 barrel.

8. mtgman

mtgman

I think this is the best way to go. Guess I picked the right place to bring this up, despite what one grumpy unnamed person thinks about it. Thank you for your advice. It's much appreciated.

9. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

PM JR here

Hope that helps.

Realize he may be a busy man, so have a little patience.

10. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Sorry, I didn't even think of that. You know, I've been dealing with them for many years now. Matter of fact just rec'd a shipment today. Have 2-3 of their barrels with no problems - but occasionally one with a tight chamber will slip though. Just give JR the opportunity to assist via a phone call or PM. IMO LW is truly one of the most honorable internet sellers around. And please post the results on the forum if you would.

Welcome to GT!

11. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

JR could be VERY busy as well, also try sending Dan a pm, he's their Armorer.
    :wavey:

12. larry1096

larry1096

Well, when one comes along we'll see. In the meantime, just remember that punctuation isn't really optional....

I have to say, I really have no patience for people who have a problem and, as their FIRST response, slag the product and company on a forum. Smacks of an agenda.

Stuff happens-call the maker. If they're unresponsive, then grumble.

Larry

13. mtgman

mtgman

Actually larry, my first response was to try lone wolfs proposed solution. It didn't work. Also I don't think I "slagged" the company. I clearly stated that I didn't contact them about the problem. I also stated my personal doubts about their willingness to help. See that's why I came here for advice. To see if anyone else experienced problems and what they did to solve them. Turns out I should have just contacted lone wolf, which I now have. My only agenda here was to seek said advice. Look at the other posts larry. Look how helpful they were. Look at my response to them. Now tell me, what exactly is my agenda? I mean aside from getting my moneys worth out of a product I paid for? Did I suggest buying another specific brand of barrel? Did I indirectly advertise for some other company? No. What I did was state my doubts about lone wolf and asked if anyone else had a similar problem and what they did to solve it. You know somehow I doubt that if I asked you this personally and in person that you would be so quick to jump down my throat. Rather I'll bet you would have given me the same advice everyone else did. To just contact them. It never ceases to amaze me how cavalier people are willing to be online. Guess what larry? I'm a person too. I would appreciate it if you tried treating me with just a little bit of respect. I don't think I've done anything to warrant you berating me. Oh and I apologize for not majoring in english. Maybe for my next BA, if I decide to ever go back to college. In the mean time I guess you'll just have to deal with a little improper punctuation. Or do you suggest I write this out in ms word first and use their auto correction features so as to not offend your delicate sensibilities? Whatever larry. I'm done getting flame baited. Go ahead and **** all over me if it makes you feel better about yourself.

Anyhow... I'll let those of you who are interested know how this all works out once JR gets back to me. Thanks again for the suggestions guys. I really don't know anything about lone wolf as a company. Those of you who do seem to have a lot of faith in their integrity, so I will as well.

14. tinman517

tinman517

Rest assured, mtgman . . . LWD affords a lifetime warranty on their barrels.

I recently purchased my 5th barrel from LWD. They have all served me well including the latest one.

Similar to you, I purchased an extended ported barrel for my G23 range gun some 3 years ago. The said has performed without any issues for me. I trust that LWD will be able to help you resolve whatever problems you might be experiencing with your barrel. They are good people. Good luck to you.

Oh, welcome to the GT boards.

15. 1canvas

1canvas

not trying to be mean but you should have contacted LW and give them a chance to help you out before bashing them here. no process is fool proof, including barrel manufacturing.

16. larry1096

larry1096

You know, as a business owner I was on the other side of this sort of thing. A person doesn't so much as give you a chance to correct a problem-and problems happen with EVERYTHING-and starts bandying their complaints about in the broadest manner possible.

You can claim you were just looking for 'advice', but I disagree; you were looking to let people know how upset you were with a Lone Wolf product. If you'd just wanted the problem solved, you'd have contacted the only people who could have managed that-Lone Wolf themselves.

You want to accuse someone of not being able to read-be able to write. You want to post a rant about something that you're having problems with-give the maker a fair shake at taking care of it. I'm sorry, but anything else is just wrong, whether you like hearing it or not.

Larry

17. MSGC89

MSGC89

Another solution no one brought up was to change your ammo choice. My standard length LW barrel for my G23 hates Magtech ammo and will jam on every second or third round. However, I switched to Fiocci for shooting paper and carry Winchester Rangers and Speer Gold Dots and I haven't had a single malfunction since.

18. toddnjoy

toddnjoy

well if i remember from what i read when you use a ported barrel you loose some pressure and thus your slide looses a little momentum to complete the cycle so you might try a little lighter spring on your guide rod so your gun can make up for the loss of some pressure during the slides cycle.

19. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Damn Koreans, you should have bought an American made barrel!! lol...just kidding guys.

Hope you get that problem fixed asap, I was told that customer service is top notch, good luck!

20. glock192327

glock192327 Where is eye

Actually I can't believe with this crowd on GT, someone didn't respond to this sentence. I don't know anyone that recommends using an after market barrel for carry in the pistol. Stock should be trusted for your safety, and leave the LW to the range. Just my ten cents, adjusted for inflation. Good luck with the problem.