Problems with Glock 48

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigBoss64, Jun 9, 2020.

1. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

I have not, should i?

2. wlkjr

wlkjr

Not really. But some do and reassemble it incorrectly.

3. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

I'm thinking its either my trigger bar or RSA, I'm just not sure how to properly diagnose if it's the trigger bar

4. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

OP - thoughts and suggestion: Quite a few individuals are trying to help on this forum but sometimes it's difficult. It's always easier for someone with experience with glocks to look at the firearm in person. Suggestion: find someone with experience to take a look. If you can't find someone, mention what state you're in and maybe someone will send a PM and offer to take a look or steer you towards someone (if you're comfortable with this). OR back to Glock.

Just my 2 cents...….

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    tuica and wlkjr like this.
  5. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

Yeah I see what you mean, it's kinda hard to diagnose over the internet, I'm gonna try a few more non invasive things and if that dosent work I've got an armorer lined up (sorry I'm nowhere near Wisconsin)

tuica likes this.
  6. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Just throwing some ideas out. Look down your mag well with a flashlight when reproducing the issue.

CDAAE619-420E-4A09-8A36-D90A84CAFC7A.jpeg

Is there any weird drag marks where the red parts meet?

BF16CEC4-C363-4338-9524-30D99114A0FF.jpeg

The green thingy should push in smoothly and spring back smoothly. Spring under the thingy.

Yellow doohickey shouldn’t be dragging on your slide. It’s only job is to press the green thing when you pull the trigger.

Be careful using imprecise nomenclature like this on GT. We have a resident grammaton cleric who may be along shortly to admonish my poor terminology. Then again, he may not check out a thread that isn’t discussing a service weapon chambered in the ‘diminutive 9mm’ as he calls it.

tuica and Intolerant like this.
  7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

You mean a serious defensive weapon, as opposed to a range toy.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  8. norton

norton

I own quite a few guns and more in the past and never have I "lubed" and cleaned a new from the factory firearm before taking it to the range.

tuica likes this.
  9. Reichpapers

Reichpapers

Clean that filth monster!!!

tuica, Intolerant and Mr Meeseeks like this.
  10. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

I am in wisconsin too... and for some crazy reason I think you should come to wisconsin too... its shaped like a mitten!!

11. Intolerant

Intolerant

Clean it, lube it (per glock manual). Then run couple hundred 124NATO through it.
    Then come back and report how it did. If it failed, send it to the glock mothership.

I`ve had a few over the years that i sprayed dry-lube on the RSA, no issues afterwards.
    Some guns are tight and need to be run hard until they free up a little bit from new out of the box.

Timothy Courtney likes this.
  12. cledford3

cledford3

I had some “performance issues” with my 48 right out of the box. It is bothersome since the 48 is possibly my favorite model - especially when considering Shield mags.

I do not clean new Glocks from the factory - I just take them out of the box and let them rip. I was *unpleasantly* surprised to have 3 malfunctions within the first 235 rounds. (All occurred with OEM mags) Two were FTEs and one FTF. I’ve had 360 rounds since with no further issues.

These were the first failures I recall ever in thousands of rounds through about 20 Glocks over the years.

I’m not sure what caused the problems. I also have a 43 that has a run flawless, so don’t think it is me. I have noticed that the 48 mag springs are very strong - so I’ve wondered if this might be part of things.

All in all, love my 48. I think it (when thinking of 9mm) is the “everything” Glock. Haven’t been enamored with the early issues and hoping it was just a fluke.

Sent from my iPhone using Glock Talk mobile app

13. t-shooter

t-shooter

I detail strip, de-grease, clean and lubricate every new or new to me firearm before initial range testing, Glocks included. Packing grease and the lint/wax paper/shaving it attracts are not conducive to functional reliability. YMMV.

Wererat and jamppp like this.
  14. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

My 48 was flawless with factory ammo, new out of the box. However, failed to fire with my reloads using Winchester SP primers. There was a light primer strike mark on every round, and all failed to fire. Have some reloads with Remington SP 1 1/2 primers that I'll try and see if it's simply a matter of the primers I was using.

15. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

I experienced a similar thing (see my post). And agree. No problems with my 43 new out of the box with no disassembly or lubing before firing. Also the same with two 19's I have. The 48 is the only one that I've had FTF issues with thousands of rounds through my Glocks. Mine could have been a primer issue, but have found that Glocks eat everything with no problems, whether factory, my reloads, primers used and bullet weight.

16. Terps

Terps

My 48 has run very smoothly with just about any cheap 115 grain ammo that I feed it. I had one fail to feed on the 2nd magazine, then everything else has been great. No other hiccups. I was almost certainly riding the slide on my FTF. Being a new pistol, I had to get my grip worked out.

Was at the range today putting holes in 3 inch targets at 10 yards. Other than my “yips” the gun is more accurate than I am. And has been pleasantly reliable.

RSAs are cheap and is an easy thing to try. It may save a ton of money vs shipping off to Glock to have them looks at it to try that first.

17. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Don't own a G48, but am a fan of the Winchester SP primer. Since it's considered a "soft" primer, anything in proper condition should fire it. For me, they are extremely reliable.

18. capcap

capcap

That’s how I shoot my Glocks

19. glocking26

glocking26

Try give it to someone else at the range to shoot and see if they have the same problems that way you can rule out the way your holding it.

20. gary357magnum

gary357magnum

My 17L didn't like my reloads when I first got it brand new. Yes, i cleaned it before i shot it the first time. I had to put about 500 factory Blazer through it, before my reloads would work. Now it's 100% reliable with my reloads.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk