Problems with Glock 48

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigBoss64, Jun 9, 2020.

1. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

Hello all, I bought my first glock yesterday, a glock 48 to be exact. I took it out of the box, oiled it, and went to the range today. On nearly every round the slide was sluggish to go into battery,and I had two light primer strikes on federal hydrashok ammo. Has anyone else had problems with the 48? And since I cant return it what can I do to make it function properly? It's supposed to be my carry gun but my first impressions say dont trust it.

boilergonzo likes this.
  2. phred119

phred119

Where did you oil it? If you got oil into the striker channel, that could,likely be the source of your problems-especially the light strikes.

SARDG and BigBoss64 like this.

3. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

Just on the rails, I'm doing a DEEP clean now to take it back to the range tomorrow, I'm really hoping I didnt spend 400 bucks on a paperweight

4. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

Glock will make it right. Shipping it off is a bit of a pain but they stand behind their products. Hopefully a full cleaning and proper lube will make it right. Good luck.

BigBoss64 likes this.
  5. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Glock 48 and you haven't provided enough information for anybody to help you with yours.

How much training and shooting experience do you have?

SARDG, tuica and L-2 like this.
  6. wlkjr

wlkjr

Mine has been flawless.

SARDG, FYRELT, Mr Meeseeks and 2 others like this.
  7. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Maybe it's the ammo. Why not try running some FMJ through it. See how it runs.

How's your grip? Gotta good grip?

How's it rack empty and magless? Maybe massage the slide, get the spring moving.

My 48 has been a pleasure. Its a good gun. Goldilocks size, not too big, not too small.

cgff, tuica and BigBoss64 like this.
  8. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

It cant be my grip! It's never the shooters fault! Really though I'll be deep cleaning it, and massaging the slide per your advice, I think my problem is I was impatient and shot it practically straight out of the box before cleaning the factory gunk out of it

Intolerant and Tuner Sandwich like this.
  9. wlkjr

wlkjr

Try shooting a box of Winchester 124 grain NATO ammo through it.

10. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

+1 on the 124 gr NATO rounds

About 300 rounds should break it in

Intolerant, Mr Meeseeks and BigBoss64 like this.
  11. Operator 203

Operator 203

I had similar problems. A new RSA fixed it for me.

12. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

Which one did you go with? A new factory one or an aftermarket?

13. Tuner Sandwich

Tuner Sandwich

Yeah, my 48 worked straight out of the box, but my 19 tripped up out of the box. I was bummed out but went home, cleaned and oiled, worked the slide, went back the next day, and haven't had a hiccup since and I've probably put at least 1k rounds through it in the past 6-7 weeks. Clean, dirty, it just runs now.

I know you should clean and oil it first, but my FFL is also my range where I have a membership, so it's hard to pick up and walk away without shooting it while I'm there.

Got a Ruger Mk4 22/45 Lite same day and it ran like a champ out of the box and ever since. And that's the one I'd have expected to hiccup between the two. Probably put close to 1k through the Ruger too.

Intolerant likes this.
  14. Glock48Guy

Glock48Guy

Sorry guy. My 48 has been flawless. Crossing my fingers for you.

Uncle Don and WaveRunner17 like this.
  15. Operator 203

Operator 203

I have 2 G48’s, both with silver slides. One was flawless (taken out of the box, lubed, & then fired 900 rounds before first cleaning). The second one had intermittent failures to go fully into battery. After 500 rounds it went back to Glock. They lubed it, test fired it, and sent it back. I continued to have intermittent failures to go into battery. I bought a couple of factory RSA’s from Glock and changed the one in the problem G48. No problems since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Iamaarmed

Iamaarmed

It should run right out of the box. You may have mentioned but just asking. Was it new or used? If it was used possibly lint some where making the slide return sluggish. How is the slide return when you release the slide either by hand or slide release? Is it sluggish? Also the reason I ask about new or used is because you mention $400 bucks as your cost. Just my thoughts.

17. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

While Glock's are normally pretty good, anyone who expects all Glock's to be 100% out of the box hasn't been paying attention to all those who have had some early hiccups.

It obviously could be shooter related. But (as others have noted) putting some warm, NATO ball ammo through it may be all it needs to wear in a bit. It could be something seriously wrong needing a trip back to Glock, but it may just be a few random snags as the surfaces mate and smooth, springs settle in, and you get used to the gun (not have a thumb dragging on the slide a bit to slow it, etc.).

Let us know how it goes. I am with you about not trusting it for carry now. But I am very skeptical that it will be reduced to a paper weight. Whether the path towards resolution is a few rounds, or a trip to Glock, one or the other will fix it!

18. ActanonVerba70

ActanonVerba70

OP - were your light primer strikes, centered or off center?

According to my Glock Armorer's Manual:

probable causes for light centered strike - hard primer (since you mentioned Federal Hydrashok Ammo - I would rule this out), or obstructed firing pin channel.

probable causes for light off-centered strike - tight extractor, dirty gun, slide lock reversed or not beveled, weak recoil spring.

Since you mentioned that it is very sluggish to go into battery and if you are shooting with a locked wrist, I would look at the RSA.

I read the posts and I know that a dirty firing pin channel and RSA problem were already mentioned as possible causes. Also boilergonzo"s post about running some "hot" ammo has merit.

Trying to help with your trouble shooting...…….. This should be solvable. If not - back to Glock. Good luck

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    boilergonzo and Buckshot Barry like this.
  19. BigBoss64

BigBoss64

Hey everybody, thanks so much for the help, I took it back to the range today, i found my "sluggish" return to battery is the gun has trouble going into battery with the trigger in the fire position. After the trigger was released, it would limp forward. I read on another post some glock 48s trigger bar was cut too sharp and needed rounded out. Does anyone know about this? I'm new to glocks and not 100% sure how to look for this problem.

20. wlkjr

wlkjr

Did you take apart the trigger bar and connector?