Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Glock G17 Gen 5
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I purchased my Glock G17 Gen 5 brand new last April 2022 and noticed the slide sometimes will not lock in the open position (aside from the past failure to fire and failure to load). Contacted Glock and sent everything for testing. They sent everything back and said nothing was wrong. They included spent shell casings as proof they used different ammo. I am sure my thumb does not hit the slide stop lever because I lay my shooting thumb on top of my support thumb away from the slide. I tried the G48 and it did lock in the open position (10 rounds only though). Tried the M&P Shield EZ and had no problems at all. (8 rounds only). Tried all sorts of ammo like Magtech FMJ 115 grain, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi etc. Eventually, Glock agrees to send me 3 new magazines to replace the original ones thinking it could be the magazine follower. I went to the range today and two of the three 17-round magazines and got the same problem of not locking in the open position. Has anybody encountered this problem? Getting irritated.

·
Registered
25,781 Posts
Hi. I purchased my Glock G17 Gen 5 brand new last April 2022 and noticed the slide sometimes will not lock in the open position (aside from the past failure to fire and failure to load). Contacted Glock and sent everything for testing. They sent everything back and said nothing was wrong. They included spent shell casings as proof they used different ammo. I am sure my thumb does not hit the slide stop lever because I lay my shooting thumb on top of my support thumb away from the slide. I tried the G48 and it did lock in the open position (10 rounds only though). Tried the M&P Shield EZ and had no problems at all. (8 rounds only). Tried all sorts of ammo like Magtech FMJ 115 grain, Sellier & Bellot, Fiocchi etc. Eventually, Glock agrees to send me 3 new magazines to replace the original ones thinking it could be the magazine follower. I went to the range today and two of the three 17-round magazines and got the same problem of not locking in the open position. Has anybody encountered this problem? Getting irritated.
Have you tried shooting it off handed and see if the issue duplicates? Put 3 rounds in each mag…or more fun- have someone else load your mags and not tell you the round count…anyways, short load the mags and empty the mags on the line off handed a couple times.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
My wife's 19.5 would do that sometimes, when it was new.
Buy some 147 grain, feed it 2 or 3 hundred rounds.

Do you have a light on your 17?

I recommend changing trigger mechanism housing. Big Tex Armory has them in stock today for $9.95

I know it's not listed in Armorers Manual, but it fixed her problem with her 19.

·
Registered
Glock G17 Gen 5
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried shooting it off handed and see if the issue duplicates? Put 3 rounds in each mag…or more fun- have someone else load your mags and not tell you the round count…anyways, short load the mags and empty the mags on the line off handed a couple times.
Thanks for the suggestion. All mags had 17 rounds but there were times I had 3 rounds and 10 rounds in the mags. No problem. Maybe the Uplula not loading the ammo well.

·
Registered
Glock G17 Gen 5
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I recommend changing trigger mechanism housing. Big Tex Armory has them in stock today for $9.95

I know it's not listed in Armorers Manual, but it fixed her problem with her 19.
I was told by Glock to try 124 grain. I got some S&B ones. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
Glock G17 Gen 5
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

No light on the 17.

·
Registered
Glock G17 Gen 5
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Glock willing to test it again but I will test the 2 suspect magazines again tomorrow. I will ask the range master to check my fingers as I shoot. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I have seen this on Gen 5 19's, 26's, AND 17's.

147 or 124 will work. Personally, that's all I shoot, ever in my 9's. I will shoot 115 in my 43X.

You're welcome.
Spend the $10 on the TMH, before it goes back to Georgia

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Let the Range Master shoot it. If he can't duplicate your issue, it's something you're doing. At that point have him watch as you shoot. Good luck.

·
Registered
Glock G17 Gen 5
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have seen this on Gen 5 19's, 26's, AND 17's.

147 or 124 will work. Personally, that's all I shoot, ever in my 9's. I will shoot 115 in my 43X.

You're welcome.
Spend the $10 on the TMH, before it goes back to Georgia
Ok will mention the Trigger Mechanism Housing to Glock as they agreed to have me ship the gun etc. back to them. Still under warranty.

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,111 Posts
I paint marker my mags to I know which one is what. I also went different colors on the different types of mags so I could quickly tell a Glock 9mm mag from a Glock 40 mag AND the G20 from the G21.

The auditor/tester in me. I am not hearing the testing being done methodically. Maybe it is, maybe this helps, I don't know.
Manually cycle the gun; does it lock back on all mags?
With warm/hot loads; does it lock back?
With shooting left handed; does it lock back?
With someone else shooting it: does it lock back?

I am currently fighting a Des. Eagle which will not run consistently. I think someone ran unjacketed loads through it and now it isn't getting enough gas. So, It isn't locking back on the empty mag. It also jams every now and then. Feel lucky you are testing with 9mm, but I digress.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Two red flags that pop out, just skimming through. Those flags are ‘brand new’? Yes, it ‘can’ take some breakin, often full power 147 grain loads, even 124.

The 2nd flag is S&B ammo, often on the weak side. No sense sending a gun in that doesn’t have to go, come here for research 1st.

Break it in, use full power ammo, no limp wristing. If the gun is a dud, I’ll have $100 waiting. As a very last resort, change out the recoil spring.

·
Registered
444 Posts
My first suggestion always in these situations is to shoot it one handed left handed if the problem resolves you know it is your grip.
Yep,

Two red flags that pop out, just skimming through. Those flags are ‘brand new’? Yes, it ‘can’ take some breakin, often full power 147 grain loads, even 124.

The 2nd flag is S&B ammo, often on the weak side. No sense sending a gun in that doesn’t have to go, come here for research 1st.

Break it in, use full power ammo, no limp wristing. If the gun is a dud, I’ll have $100 waiting. As a very last resort, change out the recoil spring.
Yep.

Suggest: As others have sugested, load three mags with a few (two to four) rounds each of decent, factory new, brass-cased ammo at least 124g (e.g. Federal American Eagle). Shoot each mag weak hand, only, with a firm grip. Or have someone else shoot it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts