close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problems with data backup

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by betyourlife, Dec 8, 2006.

1. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

I started using DVD's to back up my data using NTI's Data backup program, but am now unable to access the DVD. I mean I cannot even open the DVD file by clicking on it in Windows Explorer.

As if this wasn't bad enough, the properties windows show I have about 1.3 gig of data spread out over three DVD's, most of which is on one DVD.

When I did the back up, it backed up (or at least I thought it did) almost 12 gigs of data. WTH??

I just found a way to open the files using the program I used to burn the discs but something does not seem right here. The properties window shows I have 378 megabytes on one DVD, but when I open it in NTI, all of my file are on there?

W-T-H????

So to review:

I cannot open the DVD files.

The files don't appear to be all there.

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

You have answered your own questions.

Most backup software, including Nti, uses a propriatory file format and extream compression which make the disks incompatible with your OS. Most backup software acts as a translator between your hard drive and the tape unit, DVD or CD burners while some software modifies the OS to allow direct access to your disks. Usually at a cost of speed as the translation takes considerable resources to work seamlessly.

At the review's link below the article indicates you will need to use Nti to access the DVDs and recover your files.

Nti gets rave reviws but if it came packaged with your DVD burner, or if it is an older version, it may lack features and an upgrade to the Deluxe package is in order.

http://data-backup-software-review.toptenreviews.com/nti-backup-now-review.html

;) :thumbsup: :) :supergrin:

3. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

Thanks, this just confirms what I found out dinking around NTI until the wee hours of the morning. Now I cannot log into yahoo mail though. It's always something...:-(