close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problems with 21SF Ambi magazine release?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by WakkoSS, Mar 4, 2010.

1. WakkoSS

WakkoSS Banned

I asked the expert and he wasn't familiar with the problem, so I figured I'd ask you guys as well. Four 21SF ambi pistols that I know of are experiencing problems with the mag release. Three of them are sticking in the release position, and the fourth actually came completely apart. The fourth was on a two week old pistol. I called Glock and they said that they hadn't heard of this problem, but I remember their reluctance to admit fault when the 23s were breaking frames years ago. I'm still going back and forth with them, but in the mean time I'm going to retire my 1 year old SF for something that I can trust. I've not had problems with my pistol, but it's not worth the risk.

Anyone else heard of issues with the ambi mag release?

2. Glockphobia

Glockphobia NOT!

ive heard of issues with the 21sf and their ambi mag release. but, it was all on the internet so i take it with a grain of salt. i, myself, have a ambi 21sf and have pressed the mag release "harder" than normal to try and dupe the problem, and cant. my 21 is aprox 1-1/2 yo with about 5-600 rounds through it.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

They know about the problem. They replaced my G21 that had a ambi-release last year.
    Mine was very stiff to depress with a loaded magazine. If you pushed upward on the mag
    it was smooth. It's a poorly designed release. When I received my replacement I sold it.
    I recently bought a G21sf RTF2, with a STANDARD mag release

There are several threads on the ambi relase issues here n General Glocking and Gunsmithing forums

4. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

It seemed to me that the ambi release was hard with a fully loaded mag because the spring was already compressed and your release was attempting to compress it even more as it lifted the mag slghtly to clear the notch.

I waited a long time to find my 21sf with standard release and have not regretted it.

5. Henny

Henny

Glock said they haven't heard of the problem? I wonder why they replaced my ambidextrous release 21SF back in October for one with a standard release? If my original 21SF had more than 4 rounds in the magazine when I performed a tactical reload, the magazine release would not return to center.

6. faawrenchbndr

What BamaTrooper and Henry stated above is exactly what I experienced.
    Twice my mag release came nearly completely out of the weapon.

My faith in Glock's ambi-mag relaese in zero. Some 3rd Gen Glocks have issues,
    the Gen 4 models are having issues. No more NEW Glocks for me. My 2nd Gen G19 is PERFECT!
    My G21sf RTF2 is ok, but not the quality of the G19. Seems as if they screwed
    with Perfection and got it wrong! I may be looking for a NEW flavor of Kool-Aide in the future.

It just seems as if Glock has hit bottom, quality & reliability are suffering! :faint:

7. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

My 21sf Ambi works fine. Granted it is harder to push the mag release with a fully loaded mag but that isnt exclusive to just this gun. Several pistols I own are harder to depress release when mag is full. If I download a few rounds it is alot easier. My cousin has a 21sf ambi too with no problems. All the problems I have heard of are on the internet. I'm not saying it hasnt happened to some, I'm just saying I havent seen it personally.

8. WakkoSS

WakkoSS Banned

I searched and didn't find other threads, must have used the wrong key words. My SF is also tough to do reloads with with rounds in the mag, but it's worked ok. Three of the ones I'm talking about had the mag release get stuck.

It pissed me off that the tech guy from Glock, Andrew, said that he'd never heard of the problem, but offered to swap the frames out for standard release models. How would he have the solution if he'd never heard of the problem? Typical Glock, I'm afraid. I'll try calling the manager again today.

9. BurkGlocker

BurkGlocker Texas Redneck

My G21SF's mag release was difficult (hard) to press, even with no mag in it. It was so stiff that it would leave an idention on my thumb from pressing it. This is another reason that I traded it off. I figured after a 1000 rounds it wouldve loosened up and I wouldnt have trouble with it, but I was wrong. It got traded off for a well used G22, but hell, it can fixed for relatively low costs, and it wouldnt be as much of a headache as the G21SF was. And besides, it didnt fit my hands well anyways, so I think I made out for the better...

BG :patriot:

10. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

Yes, fairly common.

11. Henny

Henny

For the non believers here are some pictures of my old 21SF with the release stuck in the release position:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

I've often thought of trading my ambi G21SF/1913 off, or calling Glock, only due to reading the problems that others have had.

Mine continues to work flawlessly, though. I'm sitting here right now, inserting the magazine, using the left and right release, and am unable to duplicate any problems.

Guess I got a good one?

13. GVFlyer

GVFlyer Senior Member

My G21SF's serial number is in the three hundreds and has always functioned flawlessly. Truthfully, I hadn't heard of this issue prior to this thread, so I did the same thing you did, but I also am unable to induce a failure.

14. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

I've no doubt that some folks have had problems, it's well documented.

My question is: should I proactively seek a replacement for my G21SF, even though it has performed flawlessly for more than 2 years, and more than 2000 rounds of my crappy reloads?

Did I get a good one?

15. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

Heck, I'd love Glock to send me a new pistol, as I have no need for ambi-anything. I'm not willing to let this one go, though, as it has performed spectacularly.

I DO like the 1913 rail, even though I'm never going to hang a light on this pistol, I just like the way the Picatinny looks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  16. faawrenchbndr

If you have no problems I'd say you got a good one.
    Mine was screwed up from day one. Glock stated they would ONLY replace the frame.
    I said hejj no,......I bought a Glock with matching serial numbers, I expect a replacement with matching serial numbers!
    I was sent a new G21sf with an ambi-mag release. I sold it a week later.

I finally replaced the G21 with a new G21sf RTF2. :supergrin:

17. Polak

Polak (pō'lāk')

I have no problems with mine (ambi/glock rail). I bought it in March 08.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  18. BleedNOrange

BleedNOrange Go Vols

The SN on the frame is the only number that matters. Everything else is just "parts". It's a Glock, not exactly a collectors item. Not gonna hurt the value at all. Kinda like replacing an upper on an AR. Big deal, but thats just me.

19. DFin

DFin

Some feel that it is a good thing for a fully loaded mag to be hard to release, without pushing up on the mag, because they will be less likely to accidentally release a fully loaded mag.