close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

problems when clicking on threads

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by rfb45colt, Aug 23, 2004.

1. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

I've been having a problem here, for quite some time, when trying to load threads. I'm mostly computer illiterate, so maybe it's caused by my computer or something I'm doing, or not doing, or by the way my system is set up.

What happens is this: when I click on a thread, the whole thread does not load. What I mean by that is, a thread that may have 15 or so responses only loads maybe 5 or 6 of them. I try to "reload" it, and it sometimes takes 10 reloads to be able to view the whole thing.

Another, more frequent problem, is whenever I click on the "view last post", it loads a blank page (with the tan/biege GT background). I click "reload", and just as soon as I do, the page appears as it should for just an instant, then it "reloads" me back to another blank page. Sometimes I get caught in a type of "loop", where all I can get by either "reloading" or hitting the "back" button, is the same blank page. I must hit "bookmarks", and start from scratch by clicking on my GT bookmark.

I'm pretty sure this problem is totally on my end, as my computer is old (by today's standards, it's a 1997 vintage "dinosaur") that's operating on Windows 95, and I live out in the boondocks and little options as to which tin-can-and-string IP to use. But... this problem only happens here, and it's the same whether I'm using Internet Explorer or Netscape.

It gets very aggravating, when I try to read all the replies to a thread that interests me, and it sometimes takes 30-45 minutes of reloading and back-paging just to get the whole darn thing to appear on my monitor so I can read it. I find myself spending less and less time here (and this is my favorite internet site) because of this problem.

Any suggestions, other than buying a new computer, which I cannot afford?

2. c-mama

c-mama Moderator

It sounds like you may have an issue with memory on your computer's end or something to do with your internet connection speed. You may want to try turning off images and avatars and smilies in your user's control panel. That will help the pages load quicker and completely.

3. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

In the user control panel, try setting the number of posts per page to the lowest setting. Your computer's browser is probably timing out before the whole page loads, so setting GT to the lowest posts per page should make it finish before time's up (usually, a browser gives up if it doesn't finish before 60 seconds.)

Scott ;c

4. rfb45colt

rfb45colt safe-cracker

Thanks Scott, that seems to be the answer. I changed the number of posts per page to the lowest setting (5) and it loads much quicker, and completely. I've been testing it for the past 15 minutes, and it hasn't "misfired" one time. There was one thread over in GNG that no matter how I tried last night, I could NOT get it to load more than a few posts, even though it had at least a dozen. Now that same thread loaded correctly on the 1st attempt. I'm going to experiment a bit, and see just how many posts per page I can set it at for it to work OK.

I knew it was something on my end but didn't know what it was, or how to correct it.

Thanks again.