close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problems down loading a file

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by mfackler, May 19, 2006.

1. mfackler

mfackler

When I attempt to Unzip THIS file I get a message telling me it's not a valid archive. I have contacted the sight and they advise the file on there server is OK. If someone could spare a minute can you please attempt to down load and see what you find. Possiblely e-mail me the zip file? Any ideas on what else to try? I have used 2 PCs and DL Winzip 10. All other DL are fine. Only having a problem w/ this one.

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

it opened fine for me with windows xp's native unzip program.

edit: worked with winzip 9 as well.

also worked with 7-zip.

try 7-zip http://www.7-zip.org/

3. mfackler

mfackler

This is strange. I tryed that too and it still didn't work. I think my Down Load is somehow crupting the file??? I just PMed you my e-mail. Would you mind sending me the zip file?

Thanks

Mike

4. David_G17

i'll do better than that, after i get off work - tonight, i'll host the unzipped files.

5. mfackler

mfackler

Thanks anyway. I got it to work. Seems the AV software on my firewall (copfilter) was messing up the DL. I disabled it and it worked fine. Still not 100% sure why?? but thank you for your time.

Mike

6. David_G17

no problem.

that's good to know; i never would have thought of that as a potential cause, but it makes sense because a lot of viruses are transmitted using zip files.

7. malkore

malkore

yeah, several viruses are masked as .zip files. .jpg is a common one anymore too.

8. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

<dons dunce hat>
    That's one that I've heard before, but I'm not sure I buy it. Zip files, perhaps you could convince me, because they might hold executables or be self-extracting, etc. (but then it's the contents, not the ZIP). But how would a JPG tranmit a virus?
    Typically you're opening them into an editor or a viewer. Images aren't executable, right? (well, except for MS's little snafu with WMFs and ActiveX :upeyes: )

I'm just curious. Many, many years of computing, networking and BBSing and the only thing I've ever gotten was an early Word Macro virus.

Joey

9. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Sophos Link

10. Furant

Furant Millennium Member

Thanks fastvfr.

Makes sense. At least the black hats still don't directly execute code from some type of nonexecutable file. I still have that warm and fuzzy feeling of knowing that I don't open any unexpected attachments, don't visit nefarious websites and don't install software from P2P networks :cool:. And I constantly search for viruses, malware, spyware and keep an eye out for any new running processes.