Problem with new SIG? Need help. SP2022

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by trlcavscout, Jan 28, 2010.

1. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

Ok I picked this up tuesday morning, shot 100rds tuesday, cleaned it when I brought it home from the store and again after the range, I noticed the finish wear on top of the barrel looked like my 19yr old Glock wear. But I am trying not to find any faults with my first SIG. I did notice at the range that it seemed to shoot a little low but I chalked it up to a new gun, not used to it yet. But the I did notice something strange, I dont think it is right but I want a second (or more) opinion. In the pics you can see the barrel points down in the front, rubs on the bottom of the slide opening and their is a gap at the top. Also the barrel does not sit right in the slide opening at the top, its angled down. Like I said it doesnt look right to me but I am not an armorer nor do I claim to be (I didnt even stay at a holiday inn express last night). What do the other SP2022's look like?

2. TexasNativeDRJH

TexasNativeDRJH 5th Generation

Perfectly normal. I sold my G23 to get a SP2022 and noticed the finish wear on the barrel isn't as durable as my Glocks- and I also shot low my first trip to the range. I also thought the barrel wasn't centered in the slide at the muzzle until looking at other pics of them looking exactly the same.

I have 800 rounds through mine without one single issue and noticed the barrel finish wear hasn't got much worse. No regrets getting this pistol at all, I just wish there were 30 round mags available for it

3. farmer2

farmer2

4. viniglock

viniglock

Normal.
    The Kahr PM9 Also exhibits this as well!

5. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

That is no good. I cant believe that is normal? The barrel looks like crap after only 100rds. The aiming high is annoying but I could get use to it. Are all Sigs like this or just the cheaper ones? If I wasnt waiting 3 weeks on a $70 holster for the sig I would go back to a G19 I believe.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. Reb 56

Reb 56

G19 would be a step up in my book.

7. Scott_F

Scott_F

I've got a 2022 and have not noticed this at all. It's got a better trigger than my two HK USP's, my other Sigs as well as any of my Glocks. It shoots lights out right on.

Now as far as a new gun shooting low or left, or up, whatever, you do need to get a few hundred rounds into it to see if it's you or the gun.

But, I love my 2022.

8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I haven't shot mine yet but from what I remember of my last sig (P239) and my P6 they get marked up if you sneeze on them the wrong way. But they function great anyways. I didn't buy mine from a "pretty" gun. I just liked that it was inexpensive, a Sig, and had a bunch of bells and whistles.

I'll let you know what I notice once I shoot mine. :)

-Emt1581

9. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I dont baby my guns, it just looks "wise" beyond its years. And the way it is wearing the slide on the bottom doesnt look right.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Sigs do wear A LOT in my experience. You'll get the occasional guy on here saying his Sig is 20 years old and looks brand new but that's rare.

If you're really unhappy with it you can definitely sell it for what you paid for it and get your money back.

-Emt1581

11. trlcavscout

trlcavscout

I will see what happens. Thanks for the info everyone.

12. AustinTx

AustinTx

That looks like my Glocks. The barrel is actually jammed down in front and upwards, in the ejection port. See if you can wiggle the muzzle of the gun with it locked up. I bet it is tight.

13. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

The angles on the barrel are completely normal, and BY DESIGN. (In case the angles worry you, be aware that M1911 barrel is canted downward towards the muzzle, too. Most persons never notice it on that pistol because the ejection port is small and the slide covers enough of the barrel to conceal this characteristic.)

Sig barrels do develop "smilies" on them faster than other brands. It might be annoying, but it in NO WAY seems to affect pistol life expectancy nor does it impact performance.

Consider this trait to to be similar to the rub marks that Glock frames get on them near the recoil spring dust cover due to frame flex on recoil. Its an oddity of the brand...

14. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

If you understand how a SIG operates you would discover that your SIG is as it was engineered to be.

The following four shots are of my P229ST.

[​IMG]

Pulling the slide back causes the barrel hood to retract up underneath slide...
    [​IMG]

... causes the barrel muzzle to tilt upward...
    [​IMG]

When the pistol is in full battery, the slide and barrel lock up with the barrel under slide tension.
    That's why there is a barrel locking lug that works in conjunction with the locking block in the frame.

[​IMG]

Barrel smilies from my P226ST and P220ST. This is normal. If there are no smilies, the barrel to slide relationship is out of tolerance.
    The barrel-to-slide lockup relationship is the single most important aspect for accuracy.

[​IMG]

As for shooting hi/low; different guns' sights are set up differently. Match pistol sights are indexed differently from combat pistol sights.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  15. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Really? Post a photo of your SIG and tell us honestly how many rounds you have down the pipe.

16. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Correct. There are a lot of 20-something armchair gunsmiths who don't have a clue how pistols are designed to operate.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Unfortunately I sold the P239 but it was VERY sensitive and was easily scratched from things like laying it down on the table at the range, drawing, etc.

If you search my name a P239 maybe 3-4 years ago you'll find the threads I started on it.

My P6 is really worn but understandably so it wouldn't do much good to post pics.

My SP2022 is a few days old...but I'll be happy to show you if it follows suit with the others.

I will say that on the frame, the polymer is REDICULOUSLY senstive though. I mean with my fingernail I wrote my initials in it. And it stayed there despite rubbing and brushing it. I've never seen such a thing on a polymer framed gun.

All that being said, I'm giving a LOT of thought to making this my nightstand pistol and keeping the G17 in the drawer.

-Emt1581

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  18. sigcalcatrant

sigcalcatrant

Looking at them from the front, all nne of my SIG's, all fifteen of my HK's, and all eight of my Glocks look like that, although, not quite as much on the Glocks. I would say it's normal.

19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

You're right of course. Dump it and get another Glock.

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Are you being sarcastic or did you misread what I wrote? :dunno:

I said I was thinking of making the SP2022 my nighstand gun and putting the Glock in the drawer.

-Emt1581