Problem with my DSL.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by m5shooter, Aug 13, 2007.

1. m5shooter

m5shooter

Hey Guys hope you can help me out.
    I got Yahoo DSL and after I uninstalled SpyBot S&D the DSL won't connect if I put me computer on standby, I must restart it everytime for the computer to be able to connect to the internet.
    The SpyBot was a POS and couldn't get it to work properly so I uninstalled it.
    I guess the SpyBot must have did something to the regristry and screwed up my settings.
    I can use the DSL but only if I let it go to screen saver and NOT standby mode.

Thanks.

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

3. malkore

malkore

1. spybot is not a piece of crap. I run it on all home machines and its something we're required to run at work to keep our workstations clean and safe.

2. it sounds like your connection simply gets terminated when your computer goes into standby mode. I'm unfamiliar with Yahoo DSL...not sure why you wouldn't want to use a local ISP for DSL, but whatever.

3. have you checked Yahoo's tech support and FAQ's for answers? i'd bet anything they have something built in to shut you off when 'idle' to save THEM money and bandwidth.

its also possible that spybot was blocking something malicious and now that you've removed it, the PC has been compromised.

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Did you let those nimrods from the phone company install all that *great* software yahoo provides? When I got Brighthouse, they tried to install a ton of crap, I told them no way, I'd install what I wanted, just setup the connection.

I'd have to agree, you're likely being disconnected when you go into standby, and its highly unlikely this is a spybot issue.

and no, Spybot doesn't suck.

IGF

5. JMag

JMag

No, Spybot doesn't suck, DSL does...especially if you over a couple of miles from the switch.

Cable or fiber are better choices.

That said, good luck.