close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem with my daughters laptop

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sarge, Dec 3, 2006.

1. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

My daughter has a HP laptop that is a little over a year old. Running XP SP2.

In the last few weeks, it won't let her log on to MSN messenger or facebook. It lets her go to the facebook login page, but when she tries to log in, it says that she can't connect and gives the usual Internet Options, tools, etc. I also tried the register option and get the same error message. Same with messenger, you can get to the login window, but from there we get the error message.

I also downloaded the latest Firefox, and firefox will not connect. IE connects just fine. One thing I did notice is that the register page on facebook is a .php page. That might be a clue.

I have about pulled my hair out on this one and can't find anything. I did go to the firewall in the Control panel and Firefox and MSN Messenger are checked to allow access. Up until the last few weeks, everything has been fine.

Thanks for any help

2. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I've noticed that after a while adding upgrades, new programs, spy ware, adware etc.... computers just get confused, misplace things and quickly head south. When things get to that point I make sure I have all my software codes, passwords etc...and reload the software. For me it seems like 18 months for notebooks and 24 months for computers.

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I tend to agree, but I found a better answer...

LINUX! ;)

IGF

4. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I did Linux with a notebook for a while but I just don't have the time to put into learning linux in order to get the most out of it. Trying to get my wireless cards running drove me nuts. I like Linux, I just don't have the time to deal with the tweaks. Heck I don't even have the time to hack my Tivo.