close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem with Kahr M1 Carbine

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Deaf Smith, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Guys several years ago I bought a brand new Kahr (Auto Ord.) made M1 Carbine.

I had a few issues with the front sight but I fixed it.

But today (yes New Years day) while cleaning it after a shooting session I discovered the push button safety DOES NOT WORK!

Never knew it! Since I always KMFFOTFT I never realized the thing didn't work.

When it's on safe, the trigger is stiff but it does drop the hammer. When off safe it gives the normal pull with some backlash.

I took the safety out and the back side is flat. I don't know what blocks what. The front side had the hump for the plunger to fit and work against as you push it in and out.

So, any ideas why it does not work? Is the push button safey supposed to have a block in the back so it keeps the trigger from working?

Thanks,

Deaf

2. Faulkner

Faulkner Patriot Millennium Member

The M1 Carbine safety is a pretty simple piece. You didn't note if your's was a rotating lever or push button safety. With the safety engaged the trigger should be locked in place with little, if any, movement.

I would make sure it's not installed 180 degrees out of sync. Aside from that, replace the safety, they're cheap.

BTW, I generally replace the safeties on mine with push button type, I don't particularly care for the rotating lever.

[​IMG]

3. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Thanks Faulkner.

Now I have the push style.

Part 'B'. And I see it has a flat side on the back faceing the trigger (and mine does.)

Now, what does it rest against? The hooked arm on the trigger (part M)?

In need to know what to look for. Maybe that part is worn or defective.

Oh, I also did try THREE rotating style levers and none worked!

Thanks,

Deaf

4. Faulkner

I believe it is the top part of the trigger (part M) that's near part P that makes contact with the safety.

5. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

6. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Faulkner's assessment of what part of the trigger interacts with the safety is correct.

I suspect your trigger itself is defective.

The web site you linked with the pictures on how to disassemble an M1 Carbine's trigger group is pretty explicit, and if followed accurately, is NOT beyond the scope of a do it yourselfer to fix the issue you have.

7. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

I sure hope any Auto Ord. (Kahr) warranty requirements move smoothly & rapidly. I've been pretty tweaked waiting on them a few times. If you can fix it without sending anything to them, I would suggest it. Good Luck!

8. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Sounds like a pain in the ***, I hear Kahr has decent customer service so hopefully you will get it resolved.

Sorry to stray off topic, before this issue how did you like your Kahr M1 Carbine? I have been thinking of getting one, but I hear mixed reviews about the quality.

9. Faulkner

I've changed out carbine triggers before. Not a snap, but not really any more difficult than reassembling a Ruger MKII .22 semi-auto pistol.

10. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Ok, figured out the problem.

The trigger pin, part "Q". had backed out just enough so the trigger's safty hook didn't quite make the safety button's block.

I pushed the pin back in and the safety worked fine. Must have moved 1/10 an inch out. The rifle has been in the back of the car for well over six months without any inspection or maintenance.

Now is that pin tapered to be put in from one side? And isn't part of the stock supposed to block it from moving out?

It does not have a head like the hammer pin does. So something has to keep it from walking out, right?

Thanks,

Deaf

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

Just KYFFOTFT and you're good.

:supergrin:

12. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

By the Grace of God I've been doing that and, of course, it never fired except when I wanted it to.

Imagine that!

Deaf

13. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

The trigger pin is NOT tapered on an M1 Carbine, and can be installed in either direction. The stock is supposed to keep it from walking out of the housing.

14. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Thanks.

I'll check the stock next. If it allows a gap, then empoxy will take care of that.

Deaf