Problem with Glock 30

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bobnfl, Dec 28, 2019.

1. bobnfl

bobnfl

Tell me what is happening here. If I use the 10rd. mags that came with the pistol it fails to hold open after the last round. Both ten rd. mags do the same thing. When I use a 13rd. mag from my g41 it works like it is supposed to. Are the mags worn or is there something else I am missing. Has this ever happened to you and what did you do to fix the problem besides buying new mags.

2. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Try replacing the magazine springs.

Dave T and azbuckeye like this.

3. L-2

L-2

Things to try or consider:
    -With the slide off and mags empty, insert the G21 mag and the existing G30 mags and compare how well the mag followers lift the slide stop. Depending on the results a person can determine what actions to take regarding replacing the entire G30 mags; &/or if rebuilding the existing mags is worth the effort to owner.
    -Determine if the shooter isn't preventing the slide-stop from lifting while gripping and shooting the gun (with the existing G30 mags).
    -Consider buying new G30 mags which will further aid in comparing old to new.
    -Determine if there are any changes made from the stock slide stop.
    -Verify we're not talking about a G30Gen4 as the OP merely said G30 just to rule out any problems which could result if the mag catch was reversed along with any non-stock parts (like a slide-stop) possibly causing a mis-match.

4. Spudboy66

Spudboy66

Are you able to get all 10 rounds in the mags easily? The G30 mags are notorious for being really tight. If that 10th round goes in easy the springs may be weak and or modified.

5. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Dirty mags maybe?

I use a synthetic safe Gun Scrubber to clean mags and frames.

6. bobnfl

bobnfl

Gun is a gen3. I am the 2nd owner. The 1st owner carried it, so the mags stayed loaded. The mags do not load easy. I put an extended slide release in it. The mags from my gen4 g41 are the same except they are 13rd instead of 10rd. from the g30. The g30 in a g30s if that make a difference.

7. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

Glock, Inc. installs a Slide Stop Lever & Spring (SSL) unique to the Gen3 G30S and G41 Gen4 to more securely engage the narrower slide of these two pistol models. The correct SSL for the G30S and G41 is Glock Part No. 30793 (marked 30783-2 on back). I suspect the extended SSL installed is the likely source of the problem. If the SSL is not engaging the slide securely, the two symptoms are; 1) the slide fails to lock open on the last round, and/or 2) the slide closes unexpectedly.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    pjanthony, Quade, SARDG and 5 others like this.
  8. nod1957

nod1957

I am in to watch this thread. Have a G19 Gen5 decided to do the same thing.

9. w30olds

w30olds Me fail English? That's unpossible

I have a Gen 3 19 that’s doing this also. I do have the Glock OEM extended slide release on it. It has started doing this recently. Last round the slide won’t stay open. I’m running new Glock OEM mags as well.

10. cciman

cciman

Your Right thumb is your enemy. 10 round mag= smaller compressed grip=> thumb bumping or riding the SSL on recoil.
    13 mag= longer grip= thumb behaving.

Try shooting the 10 round mags with your left hand- just load 1-3 rounds. If it does the same thing, then mechanical.

pjanthony and 2740dmx like this.
  11. bobnfl

bobnfl

In closer comparing of the 13rd to the 10rd. mags, both mags look like the are working properly but the slide does not hold open with the 10rd mag inserted unless you push in on the mag approx. 1/32". I think I may have mag problems.??

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  12. bobnfl

bobnfl

Well , after rebuilding the magazines and removing the new extended slide stop lever and reinstalling it a couple of times I put the original slide release back in and it works perfectly now. Conclusion is the new extended slide release is defective. Since I messed around with it for 2 months it is out of warranty. But I called where I bought it from and they told me to ship it back and they will exchange it. Will post update when I get the new one installed.

fasteddie565 likes this.
  13. nod1957

nod1957

I seemed to have cured the problem with a new recoil spring. In my mind there is no way the old recoil spring could have been bad already but changed it anyway. Now I started having a problem with the slide not locking back on a Sig P239. Changed that recoil spring but that didn't help. I really think I am putting pressure on the slide with my support hand which is slowing down the slide.

14. bobnfl

bobnfl

Well I am back to square 1. I have tried a new glock extended slide release (the second) and the same thing is happening so I tried different magazines again , no help. I put the original mag release back in and it work perfectly. Tried all the different mags and they all work great with the original release. the only thing left is to try a different manufacture , maybe a ghost , I am lost for answers.
    Maybe I am stuck with the original release. Never have I had this much trouble with a glock upgrade.

15. Oldschooltube

Oldschooltube Flux Capacitor Technician

put the original back in. Does the problem still exist?

If so, there it is.

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

I'm not trying to be difficult. But, if the OEM parts function perfectly maybe it is time to stop adding aftermarket items. Every single malfunctioning Glock I have encountered had been "improved" with aftermarket parts.

17. bobnfl

bobnfl

The part I am using is a glock upgrade part made by glock, not an after market,
    And yes when I put the original release back in everything works right. I have eliminated bad mags because the slide locks back when the original release is installed.

18. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Then it would seem that the Glock extended slide release is not compatible.

Good luck with your pistol, I hope you get it running in your desired configuration.

pjanthony and Quade like this.
  19. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

Check your grip.
    Have someone else shoot it with the extended slide STOP
    Shoot it left-handed or dominant hand
    Check follower

Quade likes this.
  20. bobnfl

bobnfl

I have tried adjusting my grip and no change. I own several glocks and this one has given me the most problems. I have now started a return on the glock extended slide release and purchased a different one made by a different manufacturer . I believe the 2 that I have tried and had problems with are defective. If so I will post the outcome.