Problem with first reload

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by saddleman, Jan 31, 2010.

1. saddleman

saddleman

After all the great advice we decided to go ahead and reload for my G23 (we also each have a G27). We bought the bullets and powder at the gunshow this past weekend, from someone who has a store that specializes in reloading ammo. Everything seemed fine until we went to load the clip. The bullets are too long. I noticed the lead (jacketed 180 gr RNFP 0.400) was a full point, not a flat point like the commercial ammo we had been using. I compared the cleaned brass to some factory unspent shells to see that the shell where the same length and they are. The bullet is set down in the shell a full 1/4" and the crimp seems good. Is 1/4" enough? I plan to call the place where we bought the materials and go over it with them, but wanted to throw it out on the forum and get some opinions.
    Thanks in advance for the insight and advice
    Melissa

2. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Never trust your eye for determining OAL, (over-all-length), before you test fire any rounds you load invest in a caliper and check the OAL against the length listed in your loading manual.

Seating a bullet too deep can raise pressures to a very dangerous level and result in a ruined gun... or worse.

Jack

3. saddleman

saddleman

Thanks for the info. He does have a pair of calipers to check with. I'll go do that.
    Thanks again
    Melissa

4. n2extrm

n2extrm

Usually you can check the load against your magazine and barrel as well. Pull the barrel from the gun and be sure the loaded round will drop in and out easily and seat fully. It is a good practice to do this with a dummy round, that way if it gets stuck, you are not dealing with a live round! :wow: Bullet profile will have a direct effect on your OAL. Even though 2 bullets may be the same weight the profile maybe different. If it is different the bullet may engage the rifleing before the round seats in the chamber. Also as jack mentioned when you shorten the OAL you can raise pressure drastically.

5. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Melissa, you and/or your better half have done your homework and read a least one book on reloading, correct?

COL/OAL: This is covered in all reloading books and is a critical step in the art of reloading. As Jack and others have stated, when you reduce your COL/OAL, you are decreasing the available space beneath the bullet in your case. This decreased space results in increased pressure when the round is fired.

The 40S&W is already a high pressure pistol cartridge and not following acceptable reloading protocol by beginning with starting powder charges and the stated COL/OAL can get you in big trouble very quickly.

6. saddleman

saddleman

Well,,,,, I thought I had the owners manual memorized but after pulling my head from my furthest south orifice, I went back and looked at my loader and the manual and adjusted the depth of the bullet so that the finished product is the same length as a factory loaded shell. I am using calipers and I have read alot but it doesn't make as much sense when you read it as it does when you are actually trying to aply it.
    So after you get your first few rounds loaded, do you invite your brother-in-law over to shoot them?
    Thanks for everything.
    Rick

7. GioaJack

GioaJack Conifer Jack

Rick:

Bullet configuration can play a major role in OAL... sometimes to it's detriment. Melissa mentioned that the bullets you are loading are a spire point as opposed to your factory flat points.

Just because you have achieved the proper OAL doesn't mean that the bullets are not seated too deeply which could cause the pressure problem that have been discussed previously.

You may want to consider pulling one of you factory bullets and measuring it's length from the base to the nose. Measure your spire point in the same manner... if the spire point is appreciably longer but yet seated to the same OAL you may be causing a potential problem.

If in doubt always have an ex-wife test fire your loads. Let me know if you need one for the test firing... I have a bunch of 'em.

Jack

8. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

OH Dear!!! Best to take Jacks advice, OAL's with bullet profiles are not the same. Inside case volume is what gets people into trouble with the .40
    For a Glock 23 using a FP bullet 1.125 is ideal in a 180g. Going to a lighter RN you will in most cases need to load a little longer. What powder are you using?

9. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

You didn't say what powder you are using and just in case you can also check out the Powders web site. A good book also is the Load Books just for that caliber.

10. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Agreed! I bought a set of inexpensive Cen Tech Dial Calipers from Harbor Frieght tools. Price was like $10 about 3 years ago. Still work great!

11. saddleman

saddleman

Ok, I found a website with specs for the bullets I am using and found the OAL for the finished product(29.8mm). So now, how is the best way to unload my reloads or should I just trash them and consider it cost of education?
    Thanks again
    Rick

12. XDRoX

XDRoX

You can buy a bullet puller to take them apart:
    [​IMG]

13. AR-15 Outlaw

AR-15 Outlaw

get a $15 bullet hammer. it'll come in handy alot in the future and it'll save you alot of bullets and powder over the years.

edit: XDRoX beat me to it

14. dudel

dudel

If they are too long, and have not been roll crimped, you might just be able to run them through the seater die again once it's been set to the correct COL. They might not be the most accurate rounds, but they should shoot. If you have put a good crimp into the channelure, then pulling is your best bet.

If you don't know what these terms mean, then you need a bood. In any event, a bullet puller is a good investment.

15. sourdough44

sourdough44

As stated COL is very important for feeding & pressure issues. We could speed things along if you told us the powder & charge amount you are loading. Of course during the initial testing phase load up just enough(10-20) until you see that everything is going as desired. My usual 40 load is a modest charge of H Universal & a 165 grn plated bullet.

16. saddleman

saddleman

Hodgdon Clay 3.5 with 185 gr bullet

17. Boxerglocker

Hodgon Clays is listed by the manufacturer as a MAX of 3.5 for a 180g bullet at 1.125 OAL, you folk need to slow down and work test loads up slowly from the bottom of the scale to make sure they work.
    I know the SBD comes ready to load from Dillon, but there are many things to consider, inner case volume with that RN bullet you are using, OAL (measured in inches here in the USA), crimp, etc... Have either of you read through a manual or the ABC's???

18. saddleman

saddleman

We have the Lymans manual and it only lists 180 gr HP and the bullets I have are 180 gr spire point. So I downloaded the hodgdon manual from the website for the powder. This is all after the reloading store already told us to use 3.5 and didn't say that was max load. And yes they knew we were just starting. But the Hodgon manual only lists one number. Not a starting point and max like Lyman. We have read the ABC's over and over but not being able to go out and buy in person exactly what the Lyman manual shows makes it hard, it makes for gaps in the info. That's why I came to this forum. It's also hard to find any one person that can tell you everything. I ask alot of questions and they guy at our local store where we bought the square deal couldn't even answer them all. He only knows about what he reloads for himself. So during the week I call Dillon.
    Thanks again and in advance for all of the insight and info.
    Melissa

19. Boxerglocker

20. saddleman

saddleman

It's printing now. Thanks again for the info.
    Melissa