Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You all might yell at me; I'm ready to take my lumps. I've field stripped my G19Gen4 many times, but I've never detail stripped it until now. Of course, guess where I got my instructions: YouTube. Here's the video I followed:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY&feature=youtu.be

I wasn't terribly afraid of doing this job, because (1) I watched the video start-to-finish three times before starting, and (2) I've done clock & watch repair for years...yes I know a Glock is not a clock, but they both involve multiple parts that have to work together, and I know how to be meticulous. But apparently I wasn't...somewhere.
On reassembly, I checked the action of the slide - and I noticed the trigger does NOT reset after every slide cycle. That is to say (of course with no magazine in the magwell and nothing in the chamber), I pull the trigger and then pull the slide back and release it. The trigger does not reset until I pull the slide back and release it again! The trigger will consistently reset ONLY after two slide cycles in a row.
SHOULD I TAKE IT TO A GUNSMITH? Or is there an easy fix??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After you reassembled your Glock, you’re saying that the slide has to be cycled twice, to get the trigger to reset once?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

No, you don't need a gunsmith, disassemble it again and slowly re-assemble. Maybe even have a cup of coffee first. This will end up being a great learning experience.
Okay, then that's what I'll do. I'll post back later on with my results. But it might not be today... driveway to shovel!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look closely at the coil trigger spring in the back of the housing.
Hmm.. that's one of the things I was trying to be careful about. I photographed it before I took the trigger bar off of the spring, and then I never took the spring off of the trigger bar housing. When I put the trigger bar back onto the other end of the coiled spring, I was CAREFUL to not twist the spring, maintaining the spring's "S" shape.
But, I'm going to do it again... in fact, I'll do it ALL again.

Thanks guys!!

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Look closely at the coil trigger spring in the back of the housing.
I agree with every post but this is where I'm guessing the issue may be. I've bought full drop in triggers that included the ejector, trigger spring and connector. Put together by guys who know what they're doing and specialized tools for everything. Trigger spring was in the correct orientation but was off to one side of the trigger bar connection instead of in the middle. It happens. Definately do it yourself.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with every post but this is where I'm guessing the issue may be. I've bought full drop in triggers that included the ejector, trigger spring and connector. Put together by guys who know what they're doing and specialized tools for everything. Trigger spring was in the correct orientation but was off to one side of the trigger bar connection instead of in the middle. It happens. Definately do it yourself.
...off to one side of the trigger bar connection instead of in the middle... huh? I'm not sure what you mean, but I have to admit that could be the problem. Especially since I don't know exactly what the problem is, the fact remains that the problem is definitely something I'm unaware of... yet... stay tuned please.
And thanks guys (again!).

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
This happened to me. Check the spring on the slide lock. If it is not exactly sitting against the pin, it will cause the problem you speak of.
Directed to the OP:

The small metal pin always go's in first. The large pin slides in very easily by grasping the slide lever between your index finger and thumb and moving it very small fractions of a mm front and back as inserting large pin.

Reactions: Cpt.J and azks804

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problem solved. That was EXACTLY the problem. I managed to get some decent photos... maybe someone else can learn from this too. The experience of watching how the end of the trigger spring is oriented was definitely good for me. Didn't have to go running to a gunsmith, either.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
With the newer trigger bars with the curved spring tang, it's easy to get the spring to one side like that, even when you're being careful. I don't remember ever doing it with the older bars with a straight tang.

Whenever you get the gun together, do a quick check with a light. If it's off to the side, you do not have to disassemble the gun. Just use a thin tool (I uses the back of the blade of an old kitchen paring knife) & push the spring down.... it will pop into the center spot.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congrats and welcome to GlockTalk and Glock ownership! They are generally easy to completely strip and reassemble (if nothing is broken) -- and you pay careful attention! Yours was a nice and easy fix quick fix....but it does continue the threads of the week -- to please pay careful attention when putting your Glock back together.
Don't feel bad, here was one of the more interesting posts of someone recently not paying careful attention when putting their Glock back together:

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/need-help.1687920/

Live and learn!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very helpful thread, it just made this old man check all his Glocks and my G26 had this issue. I've never actually looked at the spring position, I just popped it all together and never looked, bad mastake. Thanks you all.
Outstanding... so my problem has helped someone else already. Cool stuff.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts