close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem with Dawson ICE and 10 round glock mags. Common?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mattmcg, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mattmcg

mattmcg

Hello,

I am shooting limited 10 with a Glock 35 and bought a Dawson ICE Magwell (the 2.9 ounce aluminum version). Once the magwell was installed, I found that the base of the plastic insert was impeding a clean insertion of a 10 round Glock magazine. I made sure the ICE was fitted tightly and flush with the bottom of the handle so it is installed properly.

Is my Dawson defective or is this a common problem with the ICE and Glock 10 round mags? If so, is there another magwell that I should look into?

Thanks.............

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Andrew Colglazier

Andrew Colglazier 3036 Promoter

Occasionally there is some trimming necessary to ensure proper seating of magazines in Glocks with mag guides.

I have two THE brass mag guides and one aluminum Glockmeister mag guide, and all three required some minor work with a dremel or a file to make sure magazines seated properly.

If you are using stock basepads, you might want to look into some replacement, extended basepads from some of these companies:

Arredondo
    Dawson
    Graham
    Taylor Freelance

There are a couple of others which make good aftermarket basepads, but I can't think of them just now. Some of them are just extensions, some of them add capacity to the magazine.

Good luck and welcome to competitive shooting!

Andy C.

3. SnooseGoose

SnooseGoose DIAF

I have the same magwell on my G35 and haven't experienced any problems. I'm shooting limited so I have Dawson +5 baseplates on my mags, but I load my first round from one of two standard 10rd mags and they inserts smoothly every time.

SG.

4. GunBomB

GunBomB oldschoolhustle

Novak magwell! It is the shiznite!

5. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

For ten round magazines or non extended magazines I would recommend the JP Enterprise model. BTW I own NHO magazine wells and I prefer them but if I was going to use a magazine that doesnt have an extension JP Enterprise is by far the best. BTW the G34 is what I am using for ESP the G35 was my Limited gun but it has been decommissioned in favor of a G20.

6. mattmcg

mattmcg

Wow, nice pictures! That really helps visually. So to clarify, is the JP Enterprise model on your G34? Is this the version you have on the G34 http://www.jprifles.com/GlockMagWell.php ? Do both guns have the 10 round mags in them for fair comparison?

Also, have to ask this question. Is that a Bomar adjustible rear sight on each one with a Dawson fiber optic front? Did you have the rear milled to lower the rear sight? Who did that work for you?

You've got some really sweet guns there. I'm building up my G35 and need a few pointers. Thanks for the info in advance. This is great info!

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Same version and yes both have 10 round magazines for comparison. Those are Bomar rears that were milled/melted into the slide. The work was done by Custom Glock Racing.

Here’s a picture of my Limited G20 that’s next to my Limited G35.

8. mattmcg

mattmcg

Hmmm, the JP Enterprises magwell looks interesting. One thing though.... I read the instructions and it seems there is a back channel plug that is inserted into the handle and then a single hex screw that binds the magwell to the plug. The one thing that was missing is a screw throught the tether hole to securely mount the plug into the handle!

How does it hold the magwell in? Is it secure? How does this compare with other magwells you've used?

One guess is that it creates pressure at an angle to secure it but I'd be curious if it bends/warps the polymer to cause issues on either the backstrap or the mag channel.

9. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

You bring up a good point and at first I thought it was peculiar that it didn’t include one since all of my other Glock magazine wells did. (I.e. NHO, THE, CCW, GlockMiester...) But after using it with my 2nd generation G22 one gun for 30k rounds and then switching it to a G34 for at least 10 K rounds I have yet to experience any of the concerns that you brought up in your posting. I have so much faith in this product that I went ahead and purchased two more for the Glock’s that my children will be using for IDPA competition.

10. mattmcg

mattmcg

Wow, that is a really great endorsement! You don't work for the company do you? ;)

Another question for you. I noticed that you also use the JP Ent. extended mag release as well. How do you like it and why? I'm looking at either the JP Ent. version or the version from topglock.com (picture linked below). Any experience between the two and which would you recommend?

http://www.topglock.com/catalog/competition.htm

11. USPSA Guy

USPSA Guy

While I don't have any 10 round mags for my G35, I had no problem with standard capacity mags with my ICE magwell.

So far it's been perfect with Ralph's and Dawson's extensions. I did have a minor problem getting Glock +2 extensions to fit. I found that by giving them a mighty whack with the heel of my hand, they fit perfectly. Iwas planning on trimming them, but the "mighty whack" turned out to be more than a one-time fix.

It doesn't surpise me that you might be having problems though. Its very common to have to trim the magwell or the basepads to get proper fit and so the mags drop freely. I didn't have to, but I looked over 17 different G35s before buying the one I have + plain old dumb luck.

12. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Actually I don’t make my living in the firearms industry I am just a consumer of its products :)

I have used several extended magazine releases (Top Glock/CGR, JP Enterprises, Lone Wolf large frame, G20/21 release on a G17 sized frame) for my assorted Glock’s and I always end up going back to the JP Enterprises for USPSA Open/Limited/L10 competition.

One of the things that I like about it is that it uses one screw vs. the 2 to hold the pad in place. In a nutshell though I would have to say that they all work as intended its simply a matter of preference and cost not functionality when it come to choosing a Glock Extended Magazine Release.

13. mattmcg

mattmcg

Ryucasta,

So I just installed the JP Ent. mag release (also had a THE mag release) and I can see why you like it best. I'll be sticking with it as well!

Another question for you. I'm looking to possibly move toward getting a trigger job. Do you have experience with any of the various trigger job vendors? Which are your favorite? What have you done to your triggers in the pistols listed above?

14. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

I have had trigger jobs done by DMW, CGR, NHO and Vanek I have also used kits from Ralph Sotelo and Vanek and I would have to say that my preference is towards the Vanek trigger.