close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem Reassembling Glock 26

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RustyDaleShackleford, Jun 17, 2012.

1. RustyDaleShackleford

RustyDaleShackleford Giblet Head

When I field strip my Gen4 G26 to clean it, sometimes I have a problem putting it back together. I don't know what's causing it, but maybe half the time it doesn't go back together properly. I'm sure it's something I'm doing and not a mechanical flaw. Sometimes after reassembling, the slide won't come back all the way when I try to pull it back. So I pull the trigger and take it down again and retry. Sometimes it does the same thing again, but it always eventually gets back to normal after two or three tries.

Any ideas on what's causing this? The only thing I know to do when this occurs is to try to adjust the recoil assembly, as sometimes it's slightly out of place after putting the pistol back together. This is my only lead so far. Anybody else's Glock doing this?

2. MasterShake

MasterShake Brew Crew

Only things I can think of is maybe the guide spring assembly isn't always seated right or may a frame rail is out of slot when reassembling. Hopefully it isn't one of those frames where the rails are slightly out of spec. I would call Glock about it. :dunno:

3. SCC

SCC Member Me

Is it a new gun ?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  4. deadmanglocking

deadmanglocking

My 27 does this every once in a while. I found it is due to the recoil assembly not seating correctly.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. RustyDaleShackleford

No, I think this month makes one whole year. But then again, I don't have nearly as much opportunity to shoot it as I want. I only get to shoot it like every two weeks if I'm lucky, but I don't know if that's got anything to do with it. If I remember correctly, it didn't start doing this until recently.

6. abcomputin

abcomputin

Try this to see if it helps on assembly: Hold the slide muzzle end down, press the firing pin safety plunger to let the firing pin slide forward (protruding through the hole), release the plunger, then see if it assembles easier. Or, push the trigger bar forward before assembly.

7. Redstate

Redstate

Not mine. Can't really figure this one out. I aasume you are not manipulating the trigger after disassembly. I assume you are fully seating the RSA. I assume that you are putting the slide back on without pushing on the barrel, but just the slide. Of course, you are properly lined up. Remember, on these Gen 4 and late model Gen 3s, the trigger bar has a bump on it that causes the slide to not go on as straight, initially, as the older glocks, at least until worn in a little. Of course, you do not have your magazine inserted.
    Hope you figure it out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  8. jb1911

jb1911

I think it's the RSA is not seated completely into the barrel slot.

9. owl6roll

owl6roll

10. RexKramer

RexKramer

My experience has been the Recoil Spring Assembly is easily knocked out of its notch in the barrel before the slide is installed on the frame. Once the slide is on the frame properly, you are home free.

My advice would be to verify the Recoil Spring is properly seated in the notch in the barrel each time you re install the slide on the frame. Even if you just installed the slide, and have not fired or racked the slide, if you remove the slide for any reason you need to check that the Recoil Spring is in the correct place.

All my Glocks require this, not just my 26. Come to think of it, I even have a S&W which is prone to the recoil spring being bumped off its notch on the barrel, which would make reassembly difficult.

11. abcomputin

abcomputin

Rusty, any update on the issue?

12. RustyDaleShackleford

No, I've been away at school, and my state mandates that we be defenseless on campus or else face felony charges.

I'm thinking it probably just is the recoil assembly coming slightly unseated when I turn the slide back right-side up to put it on the frame. From now on I'm gonna try reassembling it upside down while putting the slide back on, so that the whole thing doesn't have the chance to wiggle out.

13. TxDoubleAgent

TxDoubleAgent

This WAS the exact issue I had with mine when I first got it.

14. took

took

Same thing that was already stated, recoil spring assembly not being seated completely.

15. robhic

robhic WOLVERINE!!!! Platinum Member

I, too, have noticed that my Gen3 G26 does as you state above. Don't really know why, but the 26 will just be a bit "testy" to reassemble while my 19 and 17 don't do it. I think I'm gonna try as stated above to have the firing pin peeking out of the breech face before reassembly to see if that has any effect. I don't think it's a problem, just annoying from time to time.

16. abcomputin

abcomputin

Let us know if it does help any. Generally, it's only needed on a new Gen4, and not all the time. I've got 4 Gen4s, it helps half of them and the other half needs no help, no rhyme or reason that I can tell. If your Gen3 has the same trigger bar as a new Gen4, I think it will help you.