Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doin' my pre-buy research...

I'm finding some reports of LW barrels having chambers slightly too tight for rounds previously fired in Glock OEM barrels. Makes sense, but are there any problems otherwise?

I have also read that the LW bbls are sometimes a bit under spec and have a short leade which may cause problems with lead bullets...which is part of the whole reason I want one.

What say ye? Has LW changed production, etc or is it a crap shoot as to whether I wind up with a too tight chamber?

I want 100% reliability. I plan to reload for this cartridge and am not looking to have to buy a case gauge to check every round {here it comes...you should be doing that anyway...}. No, I shouldn't. {...how's that...for a discussion-ender..? :supergrin: }

Anyway, I am NOT looking for a finicky target setup.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have Lone Wolf barrels on both my G26 and 21sf and they work great but I only shoot new ammo. Maybe that is why LWD says that their warranty is no good if you shoot reloads. Just a thought

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I notice that KKM makes no such disclaimer. In fact, they say their barrels are ok for reloads.

Maybe I should have titled this; LW or KKM?

I'm leaning toward KKM right now, based on what I'm reading overall.

Anybody disagree with that?

I'm all ears.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I notice that KKM makes no such disclaimer. In fact, they say their barrels are ok for reloads.

I'm all ears.
And include STORMLAKE in that statement. I've been reloading 10MM for a while now and I can say without reservation that the GLOCK barrel is LOOSE...did say LOOSE..?..yep.

How loose?...If you shoot a batch of new factory and retreive the brass (why else?) for reloading you had better resize that brass FULL LENGTH or it won't feed in a Stormlake, Lonewolf or KKM barrel.

If I shoot a box of reloads I built (fully resized) thru my STORMLAKE or LONEWOLF barrel, I can take an empty shell and it slides easily into a DILLON CASE GUAGE. (just like a never fired round). That proves that these after market barrels (all of them) run a close tolerance chamber. This is a GOOD thing by the way. However, if any ammunition in 10MM that you reload will NOT fit into that Dillon Case Guage ($13.99 from dillon) it WILL NOT RUN RELIABLY in any after-market barrel. I've measured all my after-market barrels and they are almost all the same. The only one that was .0015 tighter in some areas was the STORMLAKE
(I run a STORMLAKE, extended 4.48 inch barrel in my GLOCK 29 and I love it)....on the STORMLAKE I did have to spend a couple of minutes of wet emory polishing to make it run 100%. Now I've got 700 rounds of HOT stuff (1350 FPS) thru my Stormlake barrel without a single hiccup. :cool:

Back to that box of reloads.....If I shoot new or reloaded (I always full length resize) 10MM thru my normal GLOCK barrel..I will never get a FTE or FTF....the GLOCK barrels will run with anything. However, since the chamber on the GLOCK is much larger there is NO WAY a fired case will begin to fit into that DILLON CASE GUAGE...maybe it will go in one third of the way..then you can see the bulge in the bottom two thirds of the case..This is a good thing.....why.? because GLOCKS are build to run all types of crap ammo in dirty muddy conditions. I like that.

If I spend an afternoon at the range shooting 200 rounds, and I change the barrels around (which I sometimes do) I never get a FTE, FTF or a fail to chamber. Both the aftermarket barrel (either of the 3 I own) or the GLOCK barrel run 100%. I gather up the emptys; take them home and dump them in my Dillion Vibrating machine..load them into a basket and
start reloading. I use a Dillon 550B and I'am not in a hurry. But I can tell by the effort required to RESIZE and de-prime which shell went thru the After-market barrel or thru the GLOCK barrel. My Stormlake shells actually fit in the Dillon Case Guage BEFORE resizing !..So they don't get much stretching and flexing as the GLOCK shells.

I run all three, Stormlake for my G29, KKM for my G20, Lonewolf hunting 6 inch for another G20. They all are quality barrels. These disclaimers are for self protection and liability reasons; not because one barrel is stronger than another. They all are strong and have close to fully supported chambers.
Take care
Bob

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much for that.

So, a question;

If I bought a KKM 6" barrel for my 20, would you rate it as highly reliable with factory and handloads, assuming all the handloads were assembled in cases previously fired in the KKM barrel?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Thanks very much for that.

So, a question;

If I bought a KKM 6" barrel for my 20, would you rate it as highly reliable with factory and handloads, assuming all the handloads were assembled in cases previously fired in the KKM barrel?
It will run 100%. KKM is a great barrel as well.

As long as you full length resize you will have no problems.

·
Ol 8 fingers ;)
2,712 Posts

I'm all ears.
I have reloaded cartridges 2-3 times now using the KKM barrel and not a problem at all. I think the case support on the KKM is very good - however, it would be better to be slightly more supported where the feed ramp enters the barrel.

·
Ol 8 fingers ;)
2,712 Posts
How loose?...If you shoot a batch of new factory and retreive the brass (why else?) for reloading you had better resize that brass FULL LENGTH or it won't feed in a Stormlake, Lonewolf or KKM barrel.
I just use the standard lee resizing die in the 3 die kit - not full length - and reloads previously shot out of my glock stock barrel have no problem fitting into the kkm barrel.

Yes, it's loose - too loose - and yes it will bulge the brass (I don't think I've shot any wimpy or even moderate level rounds out of the 10mm barrel), yes it plays more hell on the brass stretching them that way and I expect because of that I won't get as many reloads from them, but they will fit no problems.

I was concerned at first, but after over several hundred reloads earlier shot out of the glock barrel, I don't have that problem at all with the 29 and kkm barrel.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

I'm all ears.
After having both LWD &KKM I will stay with the KKM. There is a good better best the KKM is the better LWD is the good. I would stay away from EFK. I reload my brass and only use the KKM at the range. OEM for carry for reliability bulging brass is not my top priority in SHTF situation I have never have had a FTP with a OEM barrel in 10mm Glocks I have owned after 10,000 rounds thru Glock barrels.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, thanks all for your input and help.

This new gun thing is coming along. I just ordered a 6" KKM barrel. Since I have only shot about 100 rounds thru the gun I have no concerns aobut reloading tight brass even if it is.

Back to the leather bench, as the first holster I made was only for the stock barrel and won't fit the 6".

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Doin' my pre-buy research...

I'm finding some reports of LW barrels having chambers slightly too tight for rounds previously fired in Glock OEM barrels. Makes sense, but are there any problems otherwise?

I have also read that the LW bbls are sometimes a bit under spec and have a short leade which may cause problems with lead bullets...which is part of the whole reason I want one.

What say ye? Has LW changed production, etc or is it a crap shoot as to whether I wind up with a too tight chamber?

I want 100% reliability. I plan to reload for this cartridge and am not looking to have to buy a case gauge to check every round {here it comes...you should be doing that anyway...}. No, I shouldn't. {...how's that...for a discussion-ender..? :supergrin: }

Anyway, I am NOT looking for a finicky target setup.

Thoughts?
If you don't want a finicky Target set up buy a custom barrel with a chamber bored to your spec or you may call KKM and ask Kevin if he will bore the chamber of one of his barrel to Glock specs otherwise you will get an after market barrel with a tighter more supported chamber.

·
10mm Auto
1,766 Posts
Thank you Oceanbob! Wow so the LW offers the most chamber support out of the three AM barrels, huh.. I would've thought KKM did.

Thanks for the pic!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts