close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Problem after running Spy Ware

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JCM298, Mar 2, 2005.

1. JCM298

JCM298

I ran Spy Ware at the suggestion of one of the members, followed instructions, and deleted a bunch of entries as required.

I did some surfing and turned this "devil's device" off. When I logged back on,about an hour later, I ran Norton. When I tried to get back on, I found that my desktop had been completely re-arranged and half the icons were gone. When I logged on, I found that every one of my bookmarks was gone.

I'm using Mozilla Firefox.

Can I get anything back or is it gone forever? Can I go to a restore point and get everything back?

This is a mystery to me.

Thanks,

John

John

2. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

it almost sounds like you logged in under a new user's name.

what version of windows are you running?

what program did you run (i.e. "Spybot Search & Destroy" or "Ad-Aware" or something else?)?

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Was this Spy-Ware from www.bulletproofsoft.com?

I have had little experience with that one, but there are only a few methods its scanning engine could possibly use to do its job...and most of them will conflict directly with NAV's troublesome code.

The best bet would be to 'roll back' your XP using All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore> and Restore PC To An Earlier Time, like BEFORE you installed BPSoft's scanner.

Then, since all the spyware will be back, downloading Avast! and Spybot Search & Destroy 1.3 would be my next move.

Shut down the Net, uninstall Norton AV, and reboot.

Install Spybot and run it. After that scan finishes, throw out all the gunk it finds and install the Avast AV scanner.

It'll want you to reboot, so make sure the Web connection has the Firewall enabled, connect and update both the AV and SpyBot.

Shut down the Web connection again and scan with the updated AV app, then with SpyBot S&D.

You may need to edit the msconfig startup file to stop anything that you don't really need from starting at boot time, but that's a secondary concern.

At least you have the sense to run Firefox; browser hijackers aren't an issue. Removing them can be a real chore.

Good luck!

4. JCM298

JCM298

Thanks for the fast responses. I did a restore & everything is back to normal, or as normal as things can be with my low computer knowledge.

I ran this:

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Sear...35.html?tag=pop

Afterwards, I did some surfing of gun sites & turned it off. Later, when I turned it back on, it went crazy. I lost AOL, E-promter, and a bunch of other icons, and the desktop was configured in a way that I never saw before.

I logged on as usual when "it hit the fan". I'm using a Dell Inspirion 8200 with Linksys Wireless.

It's fixed now and I'll just check it tomorrow.

Thanks again for the fast responses,

John