Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.the-sun.com/news/700734/florida-inmate-mistakenly-released-coronavirus-killed-history/

Joseph Edwards Williams, 26, was let out of jail on March 19 - with more than 100 other inmates - and fatally shot a man the following day, according to the The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office.

Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister said Joseph Williams was let out of jail because he was eligible for bond and didn't have the funds to post it, FOX 13 reported.

The convicted felon had 35 prior arrests and was one of the 164 inmates released from Orient Road Jail in Tampa Bay, Florida.

Prisoners were released by the county jail last month to help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

"We didn't go back at the time and look at people's criminal history,"
Chronister said Thursday, according to FOX 13.

"That has since changed. People that we are releasing moving forward, we are checking their criminal history prior to being released."

Chronister said Williams had been in jail on a drug charge, which is considered a non-violent offense.

Williams was arrested Monday on a warrant in connection to the homicide, which took place in Tampa’s Progress Village neighborhood.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I worked in parole for thirty years. I got the distinct impression that the institution staff thought their prisons would be a great place to work if it wasn’t for the inmates; really wanted to get them out ASAP. Had one counselor ask me to “edit” a guys rap sheet (delete an indecent exposure conviction; ‘cause he was only taking a leak) so that he’d be eligible for a work release program.

Any manipulation of the regs just get the population down: they didn’t check priors on the OP’s example since that might prevent some releases.

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The important thing is we saved a scumbag murdering SOB from POSSIBLY getting the flu.
And now, since he is right back in the same spot, and ain’t getting out ever, what if he gets the Covid? That doesn’t matter now, I guess.

Reactions: 686 AR15 G17Fan

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I worked in parole for thirty years. I got the distinct impression that the institution staff thought their prisons would be a great place to work if it wasn’t for the inmates; really wanted to get them out ASAP. Had one counselor ask me to “edit” a guys rap sheet (delete an indecent exposure conviction; ‘cause he was only taking a leak) so that he’d be eligible for a work release program.

Any manipulation of the regs just get the population down: they didn’t check priors on the OP’s example since that might prevent some releases.
I hope you let a supervisor know about the counselor’s “creativity”. In the criminal justice system, “making **** up as you go along” is not o.k.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts

What is it in parole anymore? 17,18 strikes and you’re out?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I was lucky to serve the last ten years of my career under a Director of Corrections who told us in Parole that our job was public safety. We were encouraged to be proactive in revocation process; stop crime, stop recidivism.

After I retired (2002) the department has been saddled with the yoke of “rehabilitation” and parole revocation activity discouraged. Virginia will probably reinstate parole under Democrat rule, forgetting that incarceration’s goal is primarily to segregate felons from polite society.

·
Registered
14,433 Posts
What is it in parole anymore? 17,18 strikes and you’re out?
17, 18 strikes and then it's counselling and community control and group meetings and meds, becuase really, it's not his or her fault they do these things , they came from a broken home and they didnt have any opportunities, and we don't want to punish them, we want to help them be a productive member of society....

Sound about right?

·
Unfair Facist
27,044 Posts
17, 18 strikes and then it's counselling and community control and group meetings and meds, becuase really, it's not his or her fault they do these things , they came from a broken home and they didnt have any opportunities, and we don't want to punish them, we want to help them be a productive member of society....

Sound about right?
Yep, and as a man once said,

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Their own policies are evidence that liberalism is a mental disease.

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was lucky to serve the last ten years of my career under a Director of Corrections who told us in Parole that our job was public safety. We were encouraged to be proactive in revocation process; stop crime, stop recidivism.

After I retired (2002) the department has been saddled with the yoke of “rehabilitation” and parole revocation activity discouraged. Virginia will probably reinstate parole under Democrat rule, forgetting that incarceration’s goal is primarily to segregate felons from polite society.
Very true, great post and points.

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sound about right?

They can’t help it, Ranger....they are just a product of their environment. Their total lack of self and impulse control is their momma’s fault.

They bear no responsibility, it’s just what they was taught!

Reactions: ranger1968
1 - 15 of 15 Posts