close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Probably Gonna Get Flamed, But...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by zeke66, Feb 24, 2010.

1. zeke66

zeke66

What is the attraction that folks have to the extended mag release? I just don't get it. Is it for competition shooting?

I bought a used 3rd generation G17 that had it already installed. I immediately dremmeled it off to normal length. Seems to me that on a CCW/HD gun, the extended release would get in the way and/or lead to inadvertent mag drops. What say y'all?

2. ctaggart

ctaggart

I would say ease of use is the draw. That's why I like it, but I haven't gone as far as to add it to any of my pistols.

3. zeke66

zeke66

The very first thing I noticed when I got the gun was that when I placed it into the Glock Sport-Combat Holster, the mag release was riding under the edge flap of the holster and was half-way pushed in. Like I said, I can see accidental mag drops being very likely with the extended release installed.

4. Dave T

Dave T

Competition is one reason. Another is that some people have trouble reaching the mag release with their thumbs and extending it makes that easier. The last and least justifiable is that some people just have to change stuff from factory stock. They tend to get all the after market stuff they can find and bolt it on or stick it in, needed or not.

Dave

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I do not care for the extened mag release

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

I don't understand it either - I sand down "regular" mag catches on my carry guns so they are almost even with the grip.

Don't like the thing sticking out -and always felt like the mag catch may get pushed in - either while IWB (holster) or during a draw - and the mag would come popping out.

I don't carry an extra mag - so no reload option anyway.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  7. SCC

SCC just me

YOU ARE RIGHT ..
    I just trim the holster some so it don't hit it

8. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

Agreed.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I like the extended magazine release on my competition guns, as does my wife, but we both do various amounts of modification to them - I sand the points off the edges and she rounds the back edge of hers over. I don't use them on carry guns, but they might be an option for someone with small or weak hands to help with reloads.

10. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Not to hi-jack,.....but isn't the Vickers' mag release more extended than the factory,
    but not AS much as the Glock extended?

11. Mad Man 666

Mad Man 666

I put the extended mag release on my 23. The OEM one was a little to short, ironicly the extended version was a little to long. So I sanded it down a little (about 1/2 way between the two) and softened the edges. Now its the perfect length and I no longer have to adjust my grip to release the mag.

12. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

With the Glock sport holster, when I used them, I ALWAYS cut away enough plastic so I could use my mag release while the gun was in the holster.

ETA- can you release the mag with your shooting hand (assuming you are right handed) without adjusting your grip if you have the standard release?

13. zeke66

zeke66

Yeah, I thought about that, but it doesn't really interfere now that I've trimmed the release down. Truth be told, I probably ground mine down to a little BELOW stock length.

I'm surprised at how this thread is turning out. Seems that most don't prefer the extended release. I've been shopping the used market lately and there are many, many used Glocks that advertise the extended release. That led me to believe that they were more popular.

14. mp424

mp424

The vickers is also a lot more "rounded" on the edges and not near as sharp as the factory. I put the Vickers and all of my pistols...

15. zeke66

zeke66

Well, almost. I have pretty average-sized hands, so with just the slightest movement, I can push it in pretty easily with my thumb.

16. Taz

Taz

Ian not attracted to them but do use them on my guns. My G34 came with the factory extended mag release and my G19 has the Vickers unit in it. Of the two I Ike the Vickers better. It sticks out far enough for easy access but not over the top. The 19 has seen carry quite a bit and I have never had a mag drop inadvertantly. The 34 has seen some matches out of a paddle holster and a decent amount of practice from the same holster. Never had a mag drop. Not quite sure how one would hit the mag release on a draw stroke, but I guess anything is possible. I may well be that my grip is just right to not hit the release but they work for me and make mag changes more efficient. I think the key is to make sure that they work for you and your equipment before putting them into service.

17. ronin.45

ronin.45

This is what I do. I like a little longer release but not too long. As some have said small/weak hands find the extension easier to manipulate. Everybody likes different stuff.

18. wildstar

wildstar

I do too, they are excellent. Much better than any of the factory GLock releases in my opinion.

19. elde

elde Lifetime Member

+2

Just picked up 4 more from Botach on sale.

20. Angel King

Angel King

Factory mag release works just fine for me.