Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gsd has had some back problems for a couple years but wasn’t too bad just walked with a limp. The past couple weeks it had gotten worse, I had to help her get up but then she can get around, just didn’t have much traction on the hardwood so I’d help her around. Well yesterday we were gone and got home and she just basically can’t work her back legs anymore. Don’t know if she fell or something while we were gone and messed something up or what.

After looking online it sounds like she has degenerative myelopathy, everything I’ve read about it she’s experienced.

She’s only 9. Back when she started having her back problems they said it’d cost me around to $6k to potentially fix the problem. Then her stomach flipped last year and cost me $4k to save her from that. Financially, just don’t think it’d be smart to blow thousands, especially since their life expectancy is like 9-13 or something like that.

The worst part is my 3.5 year old son who loves her. Don’t have a clue what to tell him why her friend isn’t at home anymore...

8BA67AA5-026B-42E9-B25E-36A43FE010D5.jpeg

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Very sorry to hear. Our Shepherd is 5 this week, had the one $3.5k surgery early in life. She’s an integral part of the family.

The main thing is if the dog can get around & use the outdoor ‘facilities’. They don’t need to jump & run, hanging with their ‘family’ is enough. We had a lab once, developed bone cancer. We nursed her along. Once she went down to only 2 legs, the time was nearing the end. She may it to 10 years, great dog.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very sorry to hear. Our Shepherd is 5 this week, had the one $3.5k surgery early in life. She’s an integral part of the family.

The main thing is if the dog can get around & use the outdoor ‘facilities’. They don’t need to jump & run, hanging with their ‘family’ is enough. We had a lab once, developed bone cancer. We nursed her along. Once she went down to only 2 legs, the time was nearing the end. She may it to 10 years, great dog.
She’s been having problems off pooping in the house for awhile, basically it’s like she doesn’t have control of it. I assumed something was messed up from her surgery. Didn’t happen everyday and luckily it was always solid so easy clean up. Mentally she’s all the way there, still eats and all that and would pee outside at least. Read the disease will eventually move forward in her body and affect the lungs and heart, which would be awful and wouldn’t want to let it get that bad. Just feel awful knowing she’s all the way there mentally and having to put her down.

·
Good looking deplorable
7,148 Posts
My prayers are sent for all of you. It is hard to see them in pain. It is never an easy decision, but sometimes it is the right one.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure if I should make up some story to my son like she has to go live on a farm like people say. Let him say goodbye all while trying to hold it together. Or just take her and maybe it’ll just slip his mind about her and he’ll forget

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Wow . Bummer.

God bless and good luck today.

I probably wouldn't unload totally on a 4 year old about death, but every family situation is somewhat unique and I wouldn't presume to offer counsel for that.

I would offer that as grief recedes, a new puppy can balance out the pain of loss.

·
Registered
8,844 Posts
Some times the best thing is to bring it to an end. I feel for you brother. As for the lad, my counsel would be to just communicate directly to him - in a way that a 3 year old can understand - what is happening. Knowing is way better than wondering. But yeah this is very tough and you have our empathy.

·
Registered
633 Posts
So sorry to hear this. It never easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Not sure if I should make up some story to my son like she has to go live on a farm like people say. Let him say goodbye all while trying to hold it together. Or just take her and maybe it’ll just slip his mind about her and he’ll forget
Tell him the truth. You can never go wrong that way. It sucks, I know. In the last two weeks, we've had a run of bad luck here at the farm. Had to have a dog put down, due to diabetes and possible cancer (she was nearing 12 years old and was a foster we picked up two years ago), lost 8 of 10 guinea fowl and a duck to predatuon, and my daughter lost two of her goats to coccidia. One was a bottle baby that she raised and was a devastating loss. A third goat is recovering from the same disease and looks like she'll make it...was touch and go for a bit.

Death sucks, but it's inevitable. I'll be inconsolable when my little pup passes on - she's three now, so I hope we have a long time left together. Just tell your son she's really sick and it's time for her to move on from here. He'll see her again one day.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Isn't there book about the Rainbow Bridge that explains it to kids??

·
Why so serious?
65,971 Posts
Prayers for strength and peace.

It never gets easier.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

Reactions: serve_and_protect

·
****** Viejo
29,573 Posts
Prayers sent. tom.

·
Rottweilers making America great again!
3,510 Posts
Sorry to hear. You are doing the right thing in not letting her suffer.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Called the vet to set up a time, asked to see if they had any of those dog wheelchair type things to try out first and of course they don’t. Not sure if she’d be able to use it but would be nice to try first.

·
Registered
25,979 Posts
Sorry - have been through this so many times - always tough.

I always say --

We gave ______ the best life possible and she gave us all the love she had in return -

And as a result both our lives were made better.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts