close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Probably a stupid question!!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pzlehr, Feb 19, 2010.

1. pzlehr

pzlehr

Hi,
    I have a few Glocks and probably like some people buy a gun and put it up without shooting it or at least not shooting it much. Anyway I have a 19,22,23,27,21,30. I have shot all of them a little but I have shot the 23 the
    most and do ok with it (has Express Sights). With WWB at 15yds I can get about 3" groups offhand. Anyway, I shoot my CZ Sp01 compact and S&W
    CS45 much better!! These are DA/SA. Is it possible to shoot a brand of pistols, in this case Glocks, worse than another brand?

I know it's probably a stupid question...probably a common sense question where some people just do better with one type of gun than another. I just have so many Glocks and I was thinking of thinning the stable for some cash. If I just don't shoot Glocks that well, I may just sell a few. I'll stick with my CZ's and Sig's.

Thanks for any answers :)

Chuck

2. viniglock

viniglock

Simple, go with what works for you.

3. jmb79

jmb79

Agreed. If you don't shoot Glocks well and have several Glocks that you don't shoot at all, sell them for cash or trade them for something you'll shoot better and/or more often.

I must say, I've never ever purchased a gun and then just put it away. I buy guns because I want to shoot them, alot!

4. ricky_arthur

ricky_arthur

Probably if you took the glocks off the shelf more you would shoot them better.;) Just sayin.

5. pzlehr

pzlehr

Well, I know I need to shoot more for sure. It's been a hard thing to do here this winter. I have not been shooting in maybe 3 months and went out today and shot my 27,23,19 all at 10yds, WWB offhand and got lousy groups and most were low left. So I went and got my CZ SP01 compact(never shot it before but HAVE shot my full size one about a year ago) and S&W CS45 just to see if I would shoot as bad with them. I got much better groups and WITHOUT the low left syndrome.

I wanted to enter a GSSF match here but now I'm not sure. I love Glocks for their simplicity and ruggedness, but I think I could hit something easier by throwing the gun!!!

6. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

The standard answer for a low left grouping is anticipating the fire by lunging at the trigger a bit. Might you have coached yourself a little on the way to get the other pistols?

7. English

English

The CZ and S&W have shorter lighter triggers. It takes time to adapt to the Glock because it does not go off when your subconscious thinks it should. You then force it to go off and anticipate the expected recoil by pushing down and to the left. There are advantages to the Glock as a combat pistol but you have a training issue.

Just fire and dry fire the G19 a lot. At this stage you can't afford to shoot different pistols because you need to learn one trigger action well. If you haven't done the 25 cent trigger job I would do that. Try to watch the movement of the pistol as you fire. Get some snap caps and mix them in with practice rounds to practice and this will let you see when you are twitching in anticipation of the recoil. It takes a lot of work to get out of this. If you can fix this problem with the Glock it will make shooting your other pistols better as well. The Glock trigger action just accentuates your shooting problem.

English

8. irontexan27

irontexan27

I your situation it sounds like you would be best served by selling most of your Glocks. However if I were you I would keep the 23 and possibly 1 other (27) simply because they are light and make great carry guns for when you dont feel like bringing the SP01 along with you.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

"answer for a low left grouping is anticipating the fire by lunging at the trigger a bit."

A year or three ago, back when Reagan was in office, I improved my shooting a bit with a revolver and loading with some rounds and some spent cartridges. That anticipating was much easier to spot and get rid of when the hammer fell and the only sound was "click" and it as painfully obvious what I was doing.

10. speedydave

speedydave KoolAid Drinker

Another good tool is to put a laser on it. It is surprising how much the laser will show you.

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

In short, yes it is. The grips/grip angles are different, the bore axis is higher or lower than another brand pistol, and the trigger is quite different in many ways. Not to mention polymer frame vs. metal frame. The metal frame guns will absorb a lot more intial recoil(before the bullet leaves the barrel).

12. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

Do what you decide is best-------I think with some practice you can learn to shoot the Glocks with a very proficient level of combat accuracy. But the same is true of many other weapons and platforms-----it does take practice with whatever you are going to carry and shoot.

13. SCC

SCC just me

join gssf you don't have to be a pro to win cash or a gun ...
    keep the 19 for the match the ammo will cost less for that gun

14. den888

den888

Sell the ones you don't use, unless you are collecting every model of Glock.

15. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

I shoot great with my G-19, crappy with my XD-40 (just sold last week) and shoot great with my XD-9 sub-compact. With practice you can shoot well with any pistol IMHO, some may take more practice than others. Go with what's best for you.

16. pzlehr

pzlehr

Well, I took my G30 and my G27 out for another spin today. Today I shot at B-34 targets...half the size of a B-27 or there abouts. At 10yds with WWB 45acp off hand all shots were in the 10,9 or 8 ring with just 2 in the 8 out of 10 shots. No low left syndrome or way off shots. Go figure!! Could there be that big a difference at shooting at a figure target and shooting at a red dot type of target??

I was real happy with the outcome and doubt I'll sell any now :( But I am having trouble with my 27. I'll have to ask over in the gunsmithing. But the problem is when I place a mag in the gun and try to slingshot the slide or, and worse yet when shooting, the slide will not chamber a round and move forward. This happens with all my mags, I converted to a 9mm and used 9mm ammo and still the same thing!! Whne it does that I instead have to use the slide lock(or release) to chamber a round...every time. I bought the gun used so buyer beware, but pawn brokers don't let you shoot their guns first before you buy....soooo

17. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

First thought, are you pulling the slide back all the way? If it works when you lock the slide then release tells me you are not pulling back far enough. Try slowing down the "slingshot motion" pulling back all the way, stopping, and letting go of the slide and see if that makes a difference.

I buy most of my firearms used, and have yet to have a problem that the factory would not fix for free, especially Glock, so if your problem is mechanical, I'd bet they'll take care of you.

18. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I can shoot a little better with some brands but get that warm and fuzzy feeling when shooting my Glocks.

19. J3Colt

J3Colt Glock-Off

Every time I shoot my G23 it gets better and better. I'm becoming almost as accurate with it as my 1911s that I feel I'm very proficient with.

20. Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Yes different brands shoot differently. I have a big hulking hand but a relitively small arm. I love big frame heavy guns shooting lighter rounds. Just works for me. I love my G26 but I am not that good with it yet. You don't want me shooting at you with my M9 though. :D

PS x10 on the practice dry firing and shooting.