close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Proactol (weight loss)

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by whitetiger7653, Jan 6, 2010.

1. whitetiger7653

whitetiger7653 NRA Life Member

Myself and the SO are going on a diet. I was looking for something to help us while we diet and exercise. I found this Proactol all over the net. Has anyone here tried it?

2. DriBak

DriBak GUNS UP Millennium Member

No, gotta link?

3. GenX

GenX

Never heard of it, but most likely it will just drain your wallet. Eating the right foods and staying active is the way you lose weight. You have to learn to stop eating when you're full. Try eating a serving of raw almonds as a snack a couple hours before a meal. Sex, lots and lots of sex is recommended also.

4. rahrah12

rahrah12

count calories...burn more then you take in...

5. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

Dont go on a diet, learn to have an overall healthy lifestyle....for the rest of your life. You will look like you want, feel great, live longer and not be out any money for snake oils.

6. whitetiger7653

7. Rabbi

If it really worked, we would be talking about the new richest man on earth and he would be a guest on Oprah.

We are talking about weight loss. That is one of the holy grails of marketing gimmicks.

8. whitetiger7653

That's the thing, I don't want a miracle pill. I only want something to help suppress the appetite when needed and keep me on track. The weight will be lost by my exercise and eating better.

9. GenX

GenX

Raw almonds

10. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

Eat more, smaller meals. This will help with hunger. Drink more water.

I turn 40 this year and am in the best shape of my life. There really are no shortcuts.

11. flatag

flatag Must have tacos

There is no such thing as a magic diet pill.

12. Rabbi

Yeah, if you do it right, you really dont need to be hungry. You can actually eat more than you ever thought you could, if you learn to eat the right things and lift hard...scary hard.

13. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

In the past 10 years I have tried dozens of weight loss pills, powders and liquids and can honestly say none of them work in the long term. Do the research and you will learn that even lap-band surgery only averages 50lbs at 5 years. (100+ for the first year is common, but people learn to cheat) That's not a lot of weight for a surgical procedure!

When I finally got serious and stopped looking for a pill, my percentage of body fat was nearly 50% at 385lbs. Morbidly obese. My eating habits where killing me. I knew it took a long time to get there, and it would take longer to get back.

After seeing a doctor who specializes in weight loss and having an accurate and detailed body composition scan done and 3 months of detailed diet logs (I did an additional 3 months because it really helped) and one-on-one and group counseling, learning what I eat, why I eat and the caloric intake necessary to lose 1.5lbs or more per week, a year + later I am 95lbs down (I lost 20 in 2008 on my own and kept it off, then with the doctors help 75 in 2009) and still moving in the right direction.

No surgery, pills, fasting, sweat lodges or purging. With proper monitoring every 2 months, using the body scans, I am tracking my total muscle mass, body fat percentage, hydration and doing complete blood work, watching out for any issues that could derail me or worse.

I eat 3 meals a day, two snacks, for a total of 2000 calories. (Even at a lean 220lbs (12 to 15% body fat is the goal) I am 6'5", so my calories needs are much higher than the average person. My break even calories are 2950 per day) Lots of fiber, fresh veggies, protein and water. If I mess up and hit 2000 calories at 2pm, then I'm eating carrots and cottage cheese for dinner. Luckily, I have learned to pace myself, count my calories correctly and I usually hit my calorie goal at 6 or 7pm. (And if am truly hunger, I go over 15%. As I lose more weight, my needs will change)

If you noticed I did not mention exercise, there is a reason. That's because I have a few medical issues that are greatly aggravated by even walking. Losing weight has helped tremendously with the pain, and I can walk farther and faster than I could just a few months ago, but when I over do it, and it doesn't take much, I end up in my back brace or a walker/cane until I recover. These conditions were present before the weight gain, but are definitely worse because of it.

This is longer than I wanted, sorry. I just don't want you get to get your hopes up for some magic pill that doesn't exist. The only thing that works is to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. (A doctor or dietitian can accurately tell you what that number is, there are other ways, but the correct way is medically, not guessing) Repeat for two years and you should have a lifestyle change that sticks with you forever.

Good luck.

14. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

THIS.
    They are quote, "high in calories" but they are the good kind of fat, plus they work as a natural laxative, plus they are great snacks to hold you over to your next 300 calorie meal.

Remember, the "key" to loss, is eating multiple small meals a day (6 is optimal). That's why there are "those dang skinny people that just eat ALL THE TIME!" They are grazing... Obese people tend to eat one or two giant meals and then starve themselves in between.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  15. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

If these things worked, there would be no fat people, period. HH

16. NickC50310

NickC50310

Good points by Jim and the trusty Rabbi!

One theory I have heard and practiced is avoid anything that is white and processed. This includes bread, sugar, (includes corn syrup sodas), potatoes, etc... Based on my experience with weight loss avoiding those things will help you tremendously.

I have been on the up and down deal for several years. Right now, Im huge. Huger than I have ever been. Im active and play sports and can move for a big guy but lets face, Im not healthy right now. I started my diet yesterday at 336lbs and 6'4". Im strong and have lifted for years but 336 is far too big.

In 2004 I lost 90 lbs roughly. This is when I first started lifting and working out regularly. I have always been big but always athletic, coordinated and fast for my size. In 2004 I got down to 220lbs which is almost ideal for my height and muscle mass.

I lost it by eating a modified low carb diet. I avoided carbs and ate low fat and low calorie. I lifted 3x per week and did cardio 2 to 3x per week. On the weekends I would let it slide a bit on the fat and calories but NEVER the carbs. During the week, I ate lean meats and fresh veggies. On the weekends I ate steaks and meats and cheeses. It was very hard but I did do it. As you progress you can eat a few more carbs and when you are at your target weight, you can probably eat around 110 to 130 carbs per day and maintain your weight, as long as youre still active. That leaves you plenty of carbs for a few sandwiches, a pasta dinner, etc etc. Once you are at that point you can basically run wild, just dont exceed 130 carbs per day and watch for weight gain. I found this to be the best and easiest diet for me, others may disagree, and this may not work for some people. Where i went wrong is I started eating pizza and TONS of carbs and not monitoring my weight to know when I had to back off. Because of that, I gained it back and more.

Over the past few years i have gone up and down. I held the weight off pretty well for about 3 to 4 years.

There really is no EASY way to do it. A good diet plan and workout plan is the only way to go. Pills and what not can be unhealthy and generally dont work.

As somebody who comes from a long line of fantastic cooks (Im one myself), I know how hard it truly is, but it can be done if you set your mind to it! Hang in there bro! It will be worth it!

17. MarcoPolo

MarcoPolo

After I started working out, hard, I found that I was able to work out longer and harder if I ate well. As I began to eat well, I made an interesting (if not ground breaking) discovery. My plate started to become colorful.

This has become how we eat in our house now. I caught my 5 year old making herself a snack. She had gotten some "goldfish" crackers and was in the refrigerator trying to find "something colorful" she ended up with grapes.

18. bobby_w

bobby_w Alienigena Platinum Member

I just want to jump in here and say good for you JimBianchi and good luck and keep at it. What an accomplishment !!!!

I lost 55lbs 8 years ago during the low carb craze and have kept it off by changing and living the lifestyle.

I am 5'11" 165 lbs.

No sugars, candies, processed foods, soft drinks.....

Just good fresh food, meats, vegetables (lots from our garden) nuts and that kind of stuff. And I feel good.

19. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

To emphasize...I'd venture to say that anybody can eat as much skinless grilled chicken breast and lettuce as they can handle, all day long, and not gain weight.

It is about eating the right things, and doing the right things. No magic to it. Some tricks, but no magic, and no way to maintain it without making a LIFESTYLE change, not just a 'diet' change.

And yes, I know its hard....I've gone from up and down 30 pounds more times than I can count in the last several years.

20. nursetim

nursetim

+1,000,000 to what Rabbi said. I think he speaks from experience if I am not mistaken, which is a definite possibility.

Move more, sit less, eat half of what you normally eat and STOP eating processed foods. Or listen to Rabbi. :supergrin: