Pro/Con List CZ/Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ArrowJ, Sep 5, 2005.

1. ArrowJ

ArrowJ

Greetings,

I am in the market (fall/spring) to purchase a home defense gun. I have been researching and reading and my finding just keep me flipflopping back and forth between a CZ 75 Compact .40 and a Glock 23. I wonder if anyone here has had expereience with either or both of these guns and could provide a list of pros/cons for each gun. Also, if there are other guns you think I should consider feel free to throw that into the mix as well. I have a short list of requirments:

1. Below $600
    2. Conversion Kit Available (.22 LR)
    3. Slimmer Backstrap Wins More Points (I had a Ruger P89 years ago and it was difficult to handle with the wide backstrap)
    4. CCW Ability Wins More Points (In case I move out of Illinoguns in the future)
    6. Lower Felt Recoil Wins More Points

Obviously there are more things that everyone looks for like realiability etc. but these are my main concerns at this point. As for CCW, I am not interested in a sub compact gun because I am big guy and could easily conceal a reasonably compact gun, and as I said, I can't even cary one now because of the dems in Chicago including our beloved Governor Blowhardavich.

Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my direction.

>>Begin Edit<<
    I just read on another board several user of the G23 mention the recoil was pretty rough although not to much to handle. What is the difference in recoil (relative obviously) between the G23 and the G19? I had a 9mm and the recoil didn't really bother me.
    >>End Edit<<

Aaron Jackson
    www.thesitterdowners.com

2. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

I own a G23 and love it. I carry it daily and it sits on my dresser at night. Felt recoil is not bad at all. Extremely accurate as well. If you feel the need, you can do a simple barrel change and shoot .357SIG ammo.

I can't compare a Glock to a CZ because I have never shot one or even seen one in person.

3. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

4. 8324glock

8324glock

I like the way the CZ feels in my hand Exxxccceeeeppttt

the DA trigger reach is just too far for my fingers. Nice guns though.

5. ArrowJ

ArrowJ

What about the arguments for a Glock versus a Revolver for home defense? Are there any reasons why a Glock would be better than a wheel gun in this regard?

6. kswiss2783

kswiss2783

7. Rikki

Rikki Pathetic Loser

The CZ is an excellent and accurate gun,but it sucks because:
    The Double Action trigger pull is OFF the scale-(over 8 pounds)
    SA trigger is 5.75 pounds.
    Only comes with 1-10 round mag.
    Mags are 34 bucks if/when you find them.
    The recoil of a 23 is definitely snappier that a 19- I'd swag it's 1/2 again as much...

8. G22C

G22C

What Rikki said... plus, the G23 is simply a more versatile pistol. Due to its popularity, parts and accessories are relatively cheap and always readily available. Barrel conversions are available in 9mm, .357 SIG and .22lr (literally turning a G23 .40 S&W into 4 different pistols in terms of calibers).

9. gunnutnumberone

gunnutnumberone spelling nazi

Nothing can beat CZ for slim grip and ergonomics. I have full size CZ 75B in 9mm and it is great weapon.

10. Guest

The CZ 40b is like a 45 in your hand but w/Cz 75 mechanics. Same as the Colt Z40.

11. Seabee

Seabee

I have a CZ-75B and Glock 23. Both perform flawlessly. The CZ does have a hefty trigger pull, but it's all in what you get use to. If I had to give up one of the other, it would be a tough call but I would probably keep the Glock because it is lighter.

12. SunDevil78

SunDevil78

I had a CZ 40-P. I bought it solely because of its price. I quickly sold it because of its chronic miss-feeds and a really stiff trigger from DA. My brother-in-law (who happens to be way more of a "tinkerer" than myself) figured out that the feed problem was weak mag-springs. Aside from having very few people who actually work on CZ's,the bottom line is that GLOCKS are way more reliable out of the box, the parts are easily found and, for the most part, affordable. Also, many shops have GLOCK armorers on staff to service and trick out your gun to your specs. The GLOCKS are great guns in almost all aspects, period.

I don't want to knock CZ, because they make some superior pistols at low prices. Their compact 75-B in .40 S&W and their P-01s are awesome and ergonomic pistols that I would seriously consider if GLOCK parts, holsters, accessories ect...weren't as available as they are.

Bottom line, pay the extra for the Glock and you'll make up the difference (times 10 in many cases!)in accessories if you're the type of person who opts to put the bells an whistles on your gun.

Just my two cents from a former CZ owner and current GLOCK convert.

13. DDEL

DDEL

CZ's are awesome pistols. Stay with the 75's 85's or P01, avoid the mongrels like the 40p and the decocker ("BD"). I've put my 85 through hell and it's never failed in any way. Well, the mag can ingest sand easier than a Glock mag because of the follower design. I trust my CZ as much as my Glock. I'd never say that about my Kimber!

OEM mags are made by Megar. Don't order full caps from CZ, get them from AZ gun runners or similiar for around $17. Same mag.

A CZ can be carried cocked and locked to avoid the firm DA. Good trigger jobs are available from CZ USA, as are single action conversions on some models.

You can't beat the ergos of a CZ. It's like it melts into your hand.

A 9mm CZ has WAY less felt recoil than a G19. But you are talking steel versus plastic, it's to be expected. Guess which one will try harder to drag your pants down!!

Almost everyone makes holsters for the 75, the 85 with it's ambi slide release is more of a problem.

40SW, in a glock, is a snappy round. It's my favorite, my wife hates it, prefering her G19 over my heavier but 40SW G35.

It's easier to own a Glock by far. Good stock trigger, IMHO, faster to clean (that's a biggie), near perfect reliability. A CZ is damn close though.

14. pimuk

pimuk

I am finicky so I have a lot to say.

GLOCK

Pro - Accuracy, ergonomic, light weight, ease of use, part and
    accesory supplies, toughness, realiability, better magazine
    quality, not greasy due to minimal lube, some say plastic,
    unlike steel, does not accumulate heat or coldness to
    uncomfort your hands. Slide release can be done with the
    strong hand thumb.

Con - Hated by "kBoom-monger," Some doubt the longevity of polymer.
    Relatively higher felt recoil. If careless strong thumb may
    render the slide unlocked after the last shot.

CZ

Pro - Accuracy, ergonomics for smaller hand, reliability, less
    recoil feel.

Con - Greasy as more oil needed. (I hate greasy gun). Small slide is
    hard to rack in urgent case. Many hurt their finger. Heavy for
    carry. DA trigger.

15. Guest

The only reason I have either 1 is because I found good deals.

"Keep the CZ Weasy ,I'll take the Glock." ----George Jefferson
    ;?

16. jbremount

jbremount

The trigger on the cz-75 can be vastly improved with a trigger job. The hi-cap mags can be purchased for less at (gunbroker.com). I bought 2 mags(9mm) for about $27 and change. The recoil on the cz-75b in 9mm is almost nothing due to the weight of the pistol. I have been told that the same weight of the gun helps with the recoil of the .40. This could also depend on the bullets used as the .40 has a wide range of bullet weights. The cz-75 is a good all steel gun similar outwardly to the Browning hi-power. It is a good deal for the money.

The pros for the glock are many and best demonstrated in its sales. Everyone can't be wrong. It may not be the gun for everyone, but there sure is a strong following.