close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Private Bass Pond

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Ised8u, May 11, 2006.

1. Ised8u

Ised8u A Quiet Place

My father in law has a great 8 acre pond, he likes to call it a lake (whatever)as long as he lets me fish it :fishing:.. There has been a 12lb bass taken from it (ive see the mount). Anyway, I have caught a bunch of bass from there, always catch and release. Size range from small 1-2lbs to 4-5lbs, I would say 1.5-2.5lb average. Last outing, 1 month ago, my buddy and I caught at least 30 large mouth fishing for about 6-8 hours but no "big bass".

This 8 acre pond is spring feed at one end, has a small island at one end. Prob. 15-20 feet deep at the dam end. Lots of vegatation and lots of bait fish. It is very impressive just looking at it.

My question!!! I want to start developing some big bass management program there and I think there is a formula of how many bass per acre you should harvest but I am not sure of this. Any info on size to take, amount, or general thoughts on developing impressive bass would be helpfull and appreciated.

Thanks

2. Bill D

Bill D Millennium Member

Contact your DNR/Fish & Wildlife Dept. They should supply you with all the FREE information you will ever need.

3. punkture

punkture

my advice is to talk to someone that knows what they are talking about ;) BUT....

a friend and i are doing the same thing with a 7 acre pond that hasn't been managed in years. we have been taking out all the small bass (less than a pound) and throwing back all the larger bass. common sense there, but with 6 months or so of doing this, we've started noticing a HUGE difference. the average size bass was about a half a pound when we started doing this. now the average size is around 2-3 pounds. the best thing i could say now is fish it as much as you can and figure out what the average size is. keep anything that is below average and throw back anything that is above average. it took us taking out 200-250 bass to start noticing a difference. i realize my response lacks biological or technical knowledge, BUT it is something i've noticed in our attempt.

4. KodiakG-22C

KodiakG-22C

"a friend and i are doing the same thing with a 7 acre pond that hasn't been managed in years. we have been taking out all the small bass (less than a pound) and throwing back all the larger bass."

I have to ask! Does your state have any set Legal length for Bass.
    I'm in Michigan and we can't keep any Bass under 14".
    Anything under a pound would be pretty small.

Just wondering.

But YES from what I have read in the past is that if you take out the smaller fish the Mid-size and Larger ones will get Bigger. I think it has something to do with the overall ecosystem of the food chain!! :) Or something to do with the Cliff Clavin story of Evolution.

"Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as
    fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the
    slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first.

"This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the
    general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the
    regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the
    slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills
    brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain
    cells first.

"In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain
    cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why
    you always feel smarter after a few beers."

I cant remember.

lol

5. punkture

punkture

no law for private ponds. most public lakes have a slot limit, so you can keep the smaller bass.