Prior service joining the Coast Guard

Discussion in 'US Coast Guard Forum' started by jhaygood, Apr 21, 2007.

1. jhaygood

jhaygood

I am interested in joining the Coast Guard but I was just wandering about how the duty stations work. Like would I be able to request a certain area. Plus would I have to go basic training? Currently I'm in the Marines but I get out in a month. Any tips or advice will be helpfull. Thanks.

2. kray9

kray9

I am also interested in this. I am currently an Officer in the Navy and am interested in switching to the Coast Guard. The reason is to focus more on VBSS, Drug Running, etc.

3. TexasFatboy

TexasFatboy

I'm not a recruiter...but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night :)

But seriously, for enlisted folks, you have to be within six months of RELAD before applying, and if accepted you would attend a condensed version of boot in Cape May which last 4 weeks. If your MOS transfers to a critical rate fill you could possibly come in as an E-4 or E-5, otherwise expect E-3.

Officers? I have no idea? Sorry...

Hop over to the CG Recruiters desk, and look for a guy named PO1 Kalback <---he's actually a chief. This guy is a seasoned recruiter and knows his stuff. He'll give you a straight answer for any questions

http://forums.military.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/2151997295

If the link wont work, go to www.fredsplace.org look for discussion boards, then recruiters desk

4. sgtslwilson

sgtslwilson

I am prior Army. Because of college I may get a $3000 bonus and because of my prior service I go in at E-3.

I got out of active duty in 1995 but all I have to do is a 4 week Pit stop type of Boot Camp.

You can request a duty station but it's not garaunteed...just like the Army. However, the chances go up if you have a rate which this particular duty station needs. I was told as a BM I could go pretty much anywhere the CG is stationed however my options will be limited if I choose GM.

I hope this helps.

Lance

5. AZ_Quailhunter

AZ_Quailhunter NRA Life Member

Back in the "old guard" in the 70's it worked like this: after you get out of boot, or the shortened version if you are prior service.....you usually get assigned to an "A" school....for example I was a Radioman, had six months training at Governors Island NY....after graduating RM school....we got to pick a District to be stationed in....I chose the 13th CGD in Seattle. I then reported to USCG Base Seattle....did not know exactly where I would be stationed....finally got orders to report to USCGC Wachusett. So, you basically can pick a geographic area....but ultimate duty station is not a sure thing.