close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Prior Navy

Discussion in 'US Coast Guard Forum' started by ShootNMove, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ShootNMove

ShootNMove concealed

Are there lots of prior Navy in the CG? Are they allowed to keep their rank when they transfer?

Which job in the CG involves the most MIO/VBSS? How hard is it to get into a LE Det?

I'm a Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor in the Navy, and I'm considering crossing over to the CG if I can't get orders to a command where I'll be doing MIO/VBSS.

2. Kodiak PA

Kodiak PA Bear Land

I can't say nowadays but back when I first joined in '80 we had a bunch of prior service Navy. Mostly corpsman and cooks and as the years went by there were less and less. When I worked at Cape May (boot for the USCG) in the mid 80's there were prior service classes that averaged about 10-15 per month.

Easiest thing would be to call CG recruiting.

3. kodiak5bears

kodiak5bears

All of your questions depends on a lot of questions you need to answer. What is your rate in the Navy? Depending on the needs of the CG, you may or may not loose a rank or more. As for the VBSS type stuff, again it depends. I suggest you talk to a recruiter to get your answers, they will know better.

GM1 sends

4. ShootNMove

ShootNMove concealed

Currently, I'm LPO of the Armory onboard a MCM class ship. I'm also the RSO/Small Arms Instructor. I'm an E5. Even though I'm a Mineman (not a GM), I carry only GM naval enlisted codes. Obviously, I want to stick with the best job (acting like a GM) if I go to the CG. I'd really like to be on a LE Det though.

5. TexasFatboy

TexasFatboy

I'm not a recruiter, but this is what I've seen.

Looks like you would be a good candidate for GM. I've seen many prior service people transfer to the CG, and almost all came over as E-3/E-4.
    If you decided to switch, and stick with GM, I'm guessing E-4 with the chance for E-5 within six months.

Again...you should talk with a recruiter about this.

-BM1 Sends

6. ReelFowlBuck

ReelFowlBuck

Take it from a prior "squid" ... now Coastie.
    Do it and don't look back. PM me if you're still
    interested.
    Navy OS- CG RD -CG OS

MM

7. ShootNMove

ShootNMove concealed

Did you have to go through CG boot camp when you went in? Did you get to keep you rank?

8. ReelFowlBuck

ReelFowlBuck

No Boot for me. E-5 - E-5 You're rating crosses straight across so there won't be any problem. I didn't even get a "refresher" briefing. Homesteading is a big thing too. If you happen to be or get SAI qualed before you come over you'll pretty much write your own ticket.

MM