Printing from Vista through a W7 PC?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TenMillimeter, Feb 7, 2010.

1. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Is that possible? I have a new PC running Window7 with a printer hooked to it. With my other PCs running Vista, I cannot print now. I cannot see stuff on the Windows7 PC either. Is there any way around this, other than upgrading all the PCs running Vista to Windows7? I flat refuse to buy what ought to be a free upgrade.

As an aside, Windows7 is far, far better than Vista, but it still sucks in many ways. I miss XP.

2. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I found a roundabout way (the norm, for Microsloth garbage) to do it. Kinda bassackwards.

3. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

You will not be able to "see" anything on the Windows 7 computer until you setup homegroup ...

Also you have to share the printer on the Windows 7 computer and then add on the other computers.

4. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

Yeah, I found that out accidentally, as I was about to gather a huge armful of Microsloth garbage and throw it into the trailer with the other stuff destined for the landfill. Windows7 isn't half bad, but this Vista network garbage works one day, not the next, and maybe again in a few days. Gotta love this pure trash.

5. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

I have a small network running the following:

OS X
    Win XP
    Vista
    Vista
    Ubuntu

All 5 print (wirelessly) to an old HPv40xi with little or no problems through a wireless print server plugged into the Verizon router. Rather than "share" the printer I have each 'puter print to the IP of the print/server. Works like a "chahm".

6. eno45

eno45

Yes it is possible.

Forget the Homegroup recommendation, Vista/XP do not support the new basic homegroup file sharing format. You will need to setup standard file sharing between the Win7 & Vista box. So standard old school WORKGROUP not homegroup style sharing will be needed.

1.) Make sure both are on the same workgroup name. Most likely both are already named workgroup as their workgroup name.

2.) Make sure you can ping each PC so you know no firewall is blocking the share.

3.) Go under the sharing area of Vista and turn on network discovery, public file sharing, print sharing and turn off password protect

4.) Under Win7 you most likely will not need to do much except maybe perform similar settings under the advanced sharing options in the homegroup area of 7. Make sure password protect is off and leave everything else default.

5.) Now for starters just simply try to ADD A PRINTER through normal route. Find the printer area in WIn7 and select add a printer. Search network. If it finds the printer on the Vista PC then simply let it TRY to install it. It might just work now or it might auto download the driver needed.

6.) If it says no driver available or something similar about no driver this is the work around. Unplug the USB cable from back of Vista PC. Download latest basic package Win7 driver for your new pc. Run standard basic driver installer and plug in printer when it asks. Double check you can printer through USB.

7.) Now unplug from Win7 PC and plug back into Vista. Now start at Step 5 again, try to add printer through network and hopefully it will not say no driver is available but now it will install and work.

8.) If it works great. Make sure the Vista PC is not set to enter sleep mode or you will have terrible printing reliability.

9.) If it does install through the network now after you got the normal install to work. Now you can go about changing the port on the USB install that did work.

10.) Go under printers again on the 7 PC. Right click on the grayed out USB install printer icon. Since USB is not plugged in it should still be in the list but greyed out.
    Right click and go to properties. Under PORT tab select new port local port NOT TCP/IP.
    type in the path on the network to the printer.
    So if the Vista pc name shows up as say VISTAPC and the printer share name is HP123printer then type in \\vistapc\hp123printer in the box and press ok. Now try to print and it should work.

PS: XP is old. Vista was ok not bad but heavy. Windows 7 is great. Supports a ton of new features, auto driver installs, updates,snap features. WAY better then past OS's IMO. XP is for old hardware that can't handle 7. My only XP systems are a old p4 Sony VAIO desktop assigned to garage shop hobby duty on wifi and a netbook that is hardly used. 4 Windows 7 PC's and 1 Windows Home Server.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  7. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Sorry but you are wrong, Vista and XP play quite nicly with Windows 7 Homegroup. I've been doing it at home since Windows 7 RC1 and have set it up for several of my clients ... in fact M$ released instructions way back in October for setting it up ...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...5d-1b5a-4447-8036-acc918ba7af2&displaylang=en

8. eno45

eno45

Yes and no. Didn't mean to call you out on that , my pov was regular homegroup codes don't matter with older Vista/Xp.

"Vista/XP do not support the new basic homegroup file sharing format" - With basic I meant homegroup key code to configure super simple file/print sharing.

From your limited response to the OP it seemed like you were directing him to standard Win7/Win7 homegroup sharing methods that work simply and easily with other Win7 pcs using a key. These methods just show how to network Vista/XP systems together and access the shared content from Win7 using regular Vista/XP sharing practices. The creating a user account with matching credientials is nothing new for file sharing. It is an existing method used before. Is there any spot in Vista/XP where you type in the homegroup key number? If so I am wrong about that but always have set up these networks using regular sharing methods (like similary described in your link) not simply by typing in a homegroup code and being done with it. By your short response it left it open to the op & me to think configuring standard homegroup would resolve the issue. I simply provided networking steps from Vista to 7. This link also would have been great to provide a backround on your reply to the OP. Now I see where you were coming from.

Last IMO, I can have homegroup turned off and still share files to older operating systems and there is not always a single correct answer in the computer world. Many different ways , some harder, some easier to accomplish the same task.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010