Printer advice

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ThinkOfTheChildren, Oct 13, 2005.

1. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

My mom is looking to purchase a color desktop printer for her PC and has a budget of around $200 (she says she can go higher if it's really worth it).

She would mostly use it to print informal color cards or invitations to people or maybe for some digital photos (but she usually sends her digital photos to the various sites to have them developed and sent to her).

I just have no idea where to start so I figured I'd ask here. There are plenty of options out there that would probably fit the bill but it seems that some printers are really hit-or-miss in regards to them just dying after X months of use.

2. nickg

nickg

i quit spending money on more expensive printers that, for the most part, aren't any better than the cheaper ones, at least for everyday home use.

you can go to any rite aid or walgreens and get a $30 printer and if it cacks out you won't feel bad spending $30 for another.

the last $30 printer i got at walmart has pretty much out performed the more expensive printers i've owned with NO discernable difference in quality.

and with the cost of some cartridges you wonder if just getting another printer is less costly over the long run sometimes.

3. Sm0key369

Sm0key369

I think parts express has a cheap lexar, for $7 plus sipping. on some sizzer.

4. YukonGlocker

YukonGlocker

I have had excellent results with Epson printers. Not so good results with HP printers. I would get an Epson in the $100-$150 range. It will print surprizingly well, including nice digital photos if you want.

5. greenlead

greenlead

Remember that the way HP makes money is taking a loss on the printer itself, while making a killing on the ink cartridges.

6. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Wow, that's exactly the opposite of my experience. I thought HPs were trouble until I bought a Epson Stylus Photo 750! No more Epsons for me.

7. Bronson7

Bronson7

I'm a big Cannon fan. I refill my cartridges, and on the Cannon, it's a snap. If I'm not mistaken, It cost less per photo to print, also, using the oem cartridges.
    Bronson7

8. g29andy

g29andy CLM

After two Epsons, I switched to Canon (a PIXMA IP4000 and a MP 760). Never going backto Epson.
    The Epson printheads were not replaceable, and they clogged if you left the printer off too long or on too long.

9. ThinkOfTheChildren

ThinkOfTheChildren C.E. Moderator

Wow, that's quite the variety of opinions. I'll talk with her about the budget printers and see what she thinks. You guys are right though: some of the printers are being offered cheaper than she was paying for ink, so if she tries one for a short while and doesn't like it, it really won't be a loss.

As for where to go from there, I guess Canon takes the lead from opinions here.