close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Printable Lowers and mags, does this make gun control obsolete?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by RMTactical, Jan 15, 2013.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

[ame]http://youtu.be/XKAaO26FAvA[/ame]

2. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

I'm thinking you might need a license to build a firearm?

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013

3. waawaaweenie

waawaaweenie

no license needed if not for sale

4. Ruggles

Ruggles

The light on my printer won't stop blinking so I am screwed on making these.....

5. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

If they law bans possession of "assault" rifles what matters if you can print all them you want?

6. cesaros

cesaros

Does having access to a drill press/mill, an AR-15 upper/lower jig, and a block of metal make gun control obsolete?

7. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

I think the point is 3d printers are probably less complex to operate for the common person. Basically upload a file to the machine and it spits it out. Metal work is a bit more complex. I understand there are cnc machines, but I'd have to think 3d printing will be more mainstream someday than metal cnc machines.

8. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

As I mentioned on another thread on the same topic 3-D printing is really not at the point where you can print out a "reliable" firearm and magazine. The technology is simply not there. Sure you can print out a gun but I wouldn't trust one. The plastics used in 3-D printing aren't strong enough.

We have a 3-D printer where I work, a very nice one, and it prints out some nice demo parts of our products but there is no way it is going to print out an AR-15 you can take to the range and shoot safely

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  9. cesaros

cesaros

true, someday it may be mainstream.

But with a some simple instruction, you can mill your own AR upper/lower. There are places in Cali you can go to mill your incomplete AR, a machinist just stands there and tells you how to work the machine...Tah-Dah, unregistered AR-15 :supergrin:

10. RMTactical

Yeah, with today's technology, they are probably not going to last the test of time, but technology will get better and better... and if you are a crazy guy like Adam Lanza or a convicted Felon, this is just one more easy way to make a gun that will work long enough for you to do your evil deed. What is the point of gun control if something like this is so damn easy to make.

Anyone can have an AR15 upper, LPK, buttstock shipped to their house. Print a 3D AR15 lower, add a 30 round mag... Heck, someone could do that in California right now and the authorities wouldn't likely know until you have another massacre on your hands.

11. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

so let me ask this. If a company in town owned a 3d printer capable of churning out ar lowers (I think that is achievable at this point and that is the firearm after all) would it be legal for them to "rent" their printer out for use? If I went into their facility and used the printer they owned, but simply being the person who hit the print button, would that make me the manufacturer of my own firearm and within the bounds of the law (meaning the company who owns the printer didn't make it and sell it)?

12. HalfHazzard

HalfHazzard Señor Member

That's the point of the guy who did it. If you have access to a 3D printer, you can build the parts you want. He leaves it up to you to get access (pay for it).

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

No, you do not.

Also, do you people not realize firearms were built with hand tools before electricity? It's not like we suddenly acquired the ability to make guns at home because we have printable plastic. My uncle, who was an ATF agent, once busted a guy here in Kentucky for making MAC 10 submachineguns in his garage - you don't even need a kit, the MAC and M3 type submachineguns are simpler than the muzzleloaders gunsmiths used to make on their back porch.

People have always made guns at home - just not computer nerds on the internet.:upeyes:

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I understand there are people who do that now, but with real metal guns and CNC milling equipment.

15. 1gewehr

1gewehr

Yep, it's not 'rocket science'. Making guns is not difficult. And considering that there are more machine tools in American basements than there are in American factories, I don't think that it will be long before homebuilt firearms becomes a big business.

16. RMTactical

You don't think simply clicking a button and making weapons is a big leap over working with skilled laborers in a machine shop? This is a whole other level.

17. jdeere_man

jdeere_man CLM

My point exactly. Look I know people have been using their hands, tools, and metals to make weapons for centuries. To me the ability to walk up to a machine and press one button and drink a cup of coffee and almost magically before your eyes you have a receiver, or other gun parts, is different. Sure you still need metal components, but only the serialized part is the firearm.

I know there are probably a lot of folks on this board with knowledge, skills, and tools, to build guns. However today skills like that are in decline. 3d printing opens new windows to new people. I'm not saying this is an answer or better than metalworking, i'm just saying it is revolutionary.

18. Mike5560

Mike5560

People used to write chain mail letters actually using paper, envelopes and stamps. Now they can pass the information much quicker with some clicks for your email, twitter, Fb etc.

Now you dont need to research the dimensions of an AR-15 lower to build one. With a 3d printer you download the CAD file. And for sure the plastics will get better.

19. I'M Glockamolie

I'M Glockamolie

Someone had to do it (NSFW language)...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4HqI1s8Xgs"]Office Space - Printer Scene (from the movie) - YouTube[/ame]

20. stk10767

stk10767

Can't one just print out these lowers, use them to make a negative mold out of plaster or ceramic, then pour some type of molten pot metal like zinc? I would think that would be stronger than plastic.