Print Using Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by n2wishn, Sep 12, 2007.

1. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

I have an issue that has come up. We have 2 laptops that we use in the house that are primarily down stairs but when we need to print we take the laptops upstairs and connect to the printers upstairs via usb. Since we do have a wireless network is there anyway that isn't all that costly to be able to print wirelessly? Any help and suggestions is welcomed.:wavey:

2. vanderson

vanderson Guest

Does the printer have a network (Ethernet/RJ45) port or is it Wireless Compatible? If NOT you just need to buy a print server if you only have two laptops. The print server will allow the printer to connect to the network if it doesn't have a network port or a wireless card built in.

Then just Add Network Printer and you are set! :banana:

3. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

Here is the setup. I have an Epson and a Hp printer scanner, neither of them has an ethernet/rj45 port and neither are wireless capable but they both are connected to the desktop I use for business. So, after I buy the print server how does all of factor in with the desktop and the two laptops? I know I may sound like a [email protected]$$ but I not good with the hardware just the software. Thanks a lot!:supergrin:

4. vanderson

vanderson Guest

Ah you didnt tell me you had a desktop... just stated two laptops... well that changes everything, connect the printer to the desktop and share the printer and then go on the laptops and add printer (Network) and you are done. Just have to remember that the desktop has to be on to print from your laptops ;)

Saves you the money of the print server as well.

I am good at both hardware and software, hence why i own an IT company in Eastern PA.

5. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

:shocked: ok now I am completely lost. So, I am to leave everything the way it is with the desktop and two printers hooked up and from there if I want to print wirelessly I don't need a print server? I am confused so much so since I began typing before I press submit I have found myself reading what you said 4 times. I told you I'm no hardware person! Thanks for being patient and trying to explain this one :hugs:

6. vanderson

vanderson Guest

Okay let me ask you this... Is your desktop computer hooked up to your wireless router (the box that has the antenna and wires coming out of)? If yes then great!

This means your computers are pretty much networked together, that means they can communicate with each other.

All you need to do is go on your desktop computer into Start - Printers and Faxes (maybe Control Panel - Printers and Faxes; if you have a different OS than Windows XP) and right click on your printer, click on Sharing, check Share This Printer, you can choose whatever name you want and hit Ok. After than go on your laptops and go to Start - Printers and Faxes, then click on Add a Printer on the left hand navigation side. Hit next... then check "A network printer..." Hit next. and then Next again because it is clicked on Browse and you should find the printer that you have, highlight hit Okay and you are good.

Any questions let me know.

7. n2wishn

n2wishn Stamp Collector

Wow that was simple! I'll go do it now Thanks! :hugs:

8. vanderson

vanderson Guest

You're welcome if you got questions just ask.