close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

print server configuration help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by harlenm, Feb 5, 2005.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I have a linksys print server for USB printers. I have it set up on my desktop using the supplied setup CD, and the software finds the server no problem. My laptop does not see the print server at all. The print server is wired, the laptop connects to the network wirelessly.

I have setup the laptop to use the print server by looking for the address 192.168.1.103, as the default printer port. The problem is that the print server's IP address has changed on me, it used to be at the 102 spot, now it's at 103. Because of this I couldn't print until I changed it.

If I go into my router and look at the current devices, I can see the print server. Why won't the software find it? If I can't get the software to work, how do I get it to not change IP addresses so that it's always at 103, or whatever address I want?

Thanks for the help!

2. lomfs24

lomfs24

Since it has changed, I can only assume that your are running your router in DHCP mode where anything connected to it automatically is assigned an IP address. That being said you should be able to go into your router settings and so a Statically assinged DHCP address. What that means is that whenever your print server comes online it will request an IP address and your router will always give it the same IP. Or if it's the same type of Linksys printserver that I have I think you can statically assign the IP address at the print server so that it always has the same IP and doesn't request an address from the network.

3. harlenm

How do you setup the print server to stay with one IP address?

I guess i can set up the computers with static IP addresses, I'm just lazy.

4. lomfs24

lomfs24

You can either hardset the IP address in the printserver, or you can statically assign that IP address to the printserver.

Either would work.

As far as telling you step by step how to do it here it'd be pretty hard. The easiest thing would be consult your docs you have about your router and printserver.

5. harlenm

I guessed and typed in 192.168.1.103, and I got into the print server configuration and set it as static IP.

That should fix my problem perfectly. Thanks for the tip.

6. lomfs24

lomfs24

Glad I could help