Print Photography Posters

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Jon_R, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Jon_R

Jon_R

I have gotten back into photography and I have numerous pictures I would like to print out in large format to frame and use to decorate my house. Newly single and I have nothing on the walls so I thought a few pics I took of scenery and wildlife might make the house a little more lived in for Son and I.

My first attempt I tried Walmart for convenience and sent them 5 pictures of beach sunrise type stuff only 2 were done without being damaged so I had the hassle of bringing them back and doing returns. I am willing to pay more to just get them printed perfect. Not something I want to fight with or keep going back and forth. Doing it through the mail would be okay as long as I have a high success rate. 40% usable pics through Wal-Mart is not worth my time dealing with it.

Any suggestions? Looking at printing 16MP pics at 16x20, 12x18, maybe some 8x10s, etc.. Using a Nikon 5100.

Will also need some basic frames for the pics so ideas on that would also help.

2. woodasptim

woodasptim

I haven't used them for large format, but they have been perfect on everything else.

http://www.mpix.com/

3. czsmithGT

czsmithGT

Make sure you give them the best quality digital negative you can via some photoshop program. And remember 16 X 20 will require cropping (which you should do yourself rather than just relying on them to do it). 16 X 24 won't need cropped but not all places will do that.

As far as framing obviously cheaper to do it yourself but you can get the framing done at some of the places that make the prints. If you do it yourself you probably want to at least invest in a decent mat cutter as you will probably want at least some of your pics matted.

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Yeah, mpix/Miller's is the bomb. They even color correct for you unless you ask them not to. I have found that they really excel at that some let them do it. You don't need to do anything with PhotoShop either unless you want/need to edit your pics. They can use a JPG right out of the camera just fine.

I've done a fair amount of business with them over the years so feel free to PM me if you want more info.

Oh, and they have a modest selection of frames and mattes to choose from and the stuff I have had them frame comes out awesome...albeit a tad expensive.

Greg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  5. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

I am given photos quite often, to have enlarged to 20 x 30" (and larger).

.jpg will get 'noise' and 'crud' (my term) as the photo is enlarged. Size up - resolution down. Size down - resolution up.

Convert the .jpg to .eps and you will retain resolution as you enlarge photo.
    You can resize an 8x10 all the way up to 'wall sized' and keep the resolution.

You just have to find a vendor that can produce the photo.

There are several in Washington, DC, that do this.
    Creative Typographers is one.
    Embassy Photo is another.

I just sent 3 to Embassy, yesterday to be enlarged to 20 x 30". Total: $155.00 + tax.

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

I went ahead and did mpix and was very happy with the pics. I got 10 from 6x9 up to 16x24 and they came out very nice. Picked up some cheap frames from Michaels to go with my 2 walmart prints that weren't damaged and I got a dozen framed photos I really like up in my house for $200 total.

Need to take more pics..... I have trip to Mobile, Biloxi, and New Orleans coming up. Should be able to pick up some good pics on that trip and I can continue the process. Have some pics of my kids with their cousins I can try some of those pics to.

I am excited. Keeping all those pics digital only does not have to much appeal to me so it is nice to turn them into something physical.